Tank Transfer Method (TTM) for Fish QT

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has probably been discussed but I was thinking about the TTM and if it would be a good idea to QT fish as well?

I can see a couple of benefits off the top of my head.

1. Wouldn't have to keep a QT running and cycled because you can transfer to new (clean) water every few days.

2. You could use medications from tank to tank transfer.

Any thoughts on this? @Humblefish

Tank Transfer Method Threads:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/spars-tank-transfer-method.209690/

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through TTM process right now, it's recommended to QT fish after this, at least 2 weeks for observation in case the TTM failed or other diseases can be detected.

Humblefish will clear this point better.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what JPSika08 said, I believe it is recommended to QT for a period of time after. TTM is really only effective against ICK as far as I understand(I could be wrong though). All other parasites, diseases, infections would be treated separately from the TTM method.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree IMO; TTM is the best QT protocol for a hobbyist hands down. It prophylactically treats ich, and you can dose Prazipro at the onset of transfers 2 & 4 in order to deworm. Eliminating ich & flukes from the equation allows for just a 2 week observational period, post TTM, to observe for symptoms of velvet, brook, uronema, bacterial infections. These other diseases are less common than ich & flukes, but more importantly they all have obvious physical symptoms that will be noticed within a one month time frame.

Some of my counterparts have begun advocating at least one formalin bath in-between transfers to prophylactically address velvet, brook & uronema. Making TTM even more inclusive. You could actually just dose formalin (or even it's substitute acriflavine) just 1 hr before the next transfer in order to accomplish this. I think this is a good way to use acriflavine, but I must caution that formalin contains formaldehyde (a known carcinogen) so one should always take that into consideration before handling it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My usual plan is TTM on arrival and then observe for 4-6 weeks in my "clean" cycled QT. I choose to treat with Prazi in the cycled QT if there is no signs of flukes just because it's a little more simple for me. For difficult fish I have another cycled QT that they go into on arrival. Once they are eating well and acclimated to captive life they go in to TTM and usually a shorter observation in the clean QT.

Some may see that as overkill but it allows me to "baby" picky fish while making as sure as humanly possible that no ich gets to my DT or my clean QT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back