Tank Transfer Method

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the next 2 fish I am planning on getting are a mandarin and a Carpenter's Wrasse, not at the same time.

If I do TTM:
Is there anything special i should do for these 2 fish?
Should I treat prophylactically?
Anything special i should feed them, especially the mandarin?
Anything special i should know at all?
If i use buckets for ttm should i use a tank after the 12 days?
Should i just use tanks the entire time?
If I use 10g tanks, would they need to be full for the transfers, or just for the remainder of the QT process?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bump on these other questions

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this back from nutramar this morning.

Thank you for your interest.
Unfortunately we have not been able to harvest Ova. We are going to try
again in 3-4 months.
Please check back.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you give the Rod's a try please let us know how it goes, as Rod's is readily available.

what do you mean...give it a shot!? I already use the rods foods(the OG, coral blend, plankton and eggs), and it is BY FAR my favorite food. I wont be QTing a mandarin any time soon, the rods eggs, was merely a suggestion for you to use instead of the ova

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean...give it a shot!? I already use the rods foods(the OG, coral blend, plankton and eggs), and it is BY FAR my favorite food. I wont be QTing a mandarin any time soon, the rods eggs, was merely a suggestion for you to use instead of the ova
Sorry, i meant if you try giving it to a mandarin.

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this method, after you complete the final transfer and have the fish in qt for observation, can you have more than one qt tank near each other or is there still a risk of some disease transferring from one tank to the other?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate it. I wasn't sure it this was an Ich thing or a disease thing. Thank you for clearing it up for me.
On another note, I will be making my first attempt at TTM next week. I had thought about getting 2 different fish at the same time but do not want to house them together and was going to set up 2 seperate QTs but i don't have the room for 2 QTs and my remote sump to all be 10ft apart from one another. Hopefully all goes well and I will post here how it goes.

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question: On hand, I have an ammonia reducer and I have Prazipro as far as treatment. Would you recommend if any other treatment like products I should have on hand for incase something goes wrong?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question: On hand, I have an ammonia reducer and I have Prazipro as far as treatment. Would you recommend if any other treatment like products I should have on hand for incase something goes wrong?

I'd suggest for your medicine cabinet.... Kanaplex in case you run into an infection and copper or CP in case you incounter velvet. Not saying you'll need them, but it's good to have on hand just in case.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for your help HF. Update on my TTM... My two surviving fish (blue hippo and ocellaris) are looking stellar after sitting for 4 weeks in Tank 5. I have settled on the fact that the issue was ich and TTM worked great and got them clean. The blue hippo showed definite signs (I would guess two dozen noticeable spots easy), and they are all gone. They will stay in this final QT tank for about 5 more weeks and then back to the DT!

Meanwhile, while my DT has been fallow, it has experienced a pod explosion. This has got me thinking about adding a mandarin when the DT is ready, so I've been very interested in the recent discussion on mandarin foods. Being my first, I was curious how to adequately feed it when it first arrives and goes into my bare bottom pod-less QT. Do I find a way to get some pods in there, like move some of my live rock? I worry if that would get enough pods over. Or do I cross fingers and do safety stop and put right into the pod-heavy DT?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being my first, I was curious how to adequately feed it when it first arrives and goes into my bare bottom pod-less QT. Do I find a way to get some pods in there, like move some of my live rock? I worry if that would get enough pods over. Or do I cross fingers and do safety stop and put right into the pod-heavy DT?

Your best bet is to buy an ORA mandarin already eating frozen and/or pellets. LFSs can get them or you may be able to order one online. A LFS I advise gets them in all the time. Run it thru TTM before placing in your DT.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to include some info regarding disinfection, since that is pivotal to the success of TTM. The below quote and table was taken from this source: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164
Disinfection
A number of methods for disinfection of Cryptocaryon tomonts and theronts have been examined (Hirazawa et al. 2003). The following regimens were shown to be effective against tomonts in the laboratory: 1 hour exposure to 40°C (104°F) or to 100 mg/L benzalkonium chloride; 24 hours exposure to 60 mg/L chlorine or to drying. Free-swimming theronts were killed more easily after one of the following treatments: 1 hour exposure to 2.4 mg/L chlorine; 1 hour exposure to 100 mg/L benzalkonium chloride; or 40°C (104°F).

(See Table 2. Methods for disinfection of Cryptocaryon irritans life stages)

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the drying method. I have two 10g tanks and now another 5.5g for TTM and equipment for each. As soon as I finish the transfer, I wash everything in hot water and let it dry, by the time I'm ready for the next transfer, everything is ready to go. I love TTM, now that I have it all figured out and have the routine down. I'm on my third set of fish and everything is going so much smoother now, compared to my first effort! I know that I've said it before, but thank you again for all of the awesome knowledge that you've shared and continue to share!:)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the drying method. I have two 10g tanks and now another 5.5g for TTM and equipment for each. As soon as I finish the transfer, I wash everything in hot water and let it dry, by the time I'm ready for the next transfer, everything is ready to go. I love TTM, now that I have it all figured out and have the routine down. I'm on my third set of fish and everything is going so much smoother now, compared to my first effort! I know that I've said it before, but thank you again for all of the awesome knowledge that you've shared and continue to share!:)

Glad to hear! Everything in this hobby (including QT) takes time & patience to get it down right. But the more you do something, the more comfortable you become with it, the more successful you will be at it. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back