The Bowser Zoa

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bowser Paly

Its pretty much the most hyped zoa in the hobby: some say its a super colorful rainbow, others say its just an over-priced over-exposed CAR. The Bowser paly inspires multi page arguments about its lineage and who actually has real Bowsers, but Im hoping that this thread can settle all disputes and become the ultimate Bowser reference thread.

History Of The Strains

Strain 1

The polyp was introduced to the hobby by Jay Painter of Aquariums In Motion back in 2009. It quickly became a highly sought after polyp, but was a known melter as a lot of people over fragged their polyps in an effort to make their money back. Most of the polyps ended up in the hands of hobbyists and the strain appears to have virtually died out in the hobby. I believe Zach at The Digital Fishroom has some of the only polyps from this strain remaining. Its characterized by its extremely slow growth, its dislike of being fragged, and the large orange ring on the oral disk.

This is a picture of Nano Fin's (Zach) Bowser

bowser_19086.jpg

This picture was posted by primetime back in September of 2009 and is one of the oldest pics of a Bowser on the net.
bowser.jpg

Strain 2

Jeremy at Dream Corals started selling Bowsers starting in 2010, which ended up being similar, but slightly different then the original strain. It had a much faster growth rate and the orange ring on the disc is much smaller. Due to the faster growth rate it is much more widely found throughout the hobby, with most of the polyps of Bowsers that have publicly traded hands being of this strain. Several vendors and prominent hobbyists have obtained these polyps and due to the ensuing controversy not sold or traded them as Bowsers. KTARs new Waalaaa Magic paly appears to be of this strain as old posts and photos back up. This strain is the one that caused most of the controversy with Bowsers being colored up CARs, though in comparison pictures they are a much much brighter polyp.

Ktars Bowsers/Waalaaa Magic Palys lineaged back to Dream Corals
0073cd04.jpg

BiG-D's pic with lineage back to Dream Corals

imagepng_2.png

Strain 3

The third strain is propogated by Akwarius over at Planet Zoa. Its a wild strain that maintains all the original characteristics of the original Bowser as far as being a slow grower that needs high light to attain its best coloration. There is a pic on his website but I dont want to steal it so hopefully he will be kind and post one here.
Comparisons betweens Strain 1 and 2

All credit is to Zach (Nano-Fins) for the following info he posted a while back.
Okay, here are a couple images I put together quick. I hope Kien doesn't mind me using his pic for a little demonstration. Regardless of whether his are Bowsers or not, I hope that to anyone viewing these that what I am calling into question is obvious. Tell me you can see an obvious difference between the polyps!

I have blown up and pasted first a picture of one of my baby Bowser polyps (right) and then next to it a small polyp from Kien's pictured colony. Next is a picture of two adult polyps, my Bowser on the left. Notice that in both young and adult polyps of Bowsers, the red is in fact only marginal to the polyp and does not cover any significant surface area. I realize that some CARs, including mine at times, can develop a thin ring of yellow after the green and before the red, but this is never the dominant pigment in a CAR. Please don't say they look exactly the same or I'm going to....to....forever ignore these threads and go back to enjoying my Bowsers, CAOs, and CARs in all their SEPERATE glory, in person.

bowsercompshot1.jpg

bowsercompshot2.jpg

So I hope this answered any questions that remained in peoples minds in regards to what are "Real" Bowsers, or it at least gave people some more food for thought in regards to this awesome polyp. If anyone has anymore pics of Bowser polyps or anecdotes regarding its history, post away!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work, you need to change your name to "Z&P Detective".

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they may date back a bit further.

In late 2006 "Rainbow Palys" made their debut and I can remember at least a handful of morphs being available. I ended up getting a couple different ones through trades, including one that looked a lot like the Bowser. I wish I would have taken more and better pictures back then.

Here's a pic from January 2007, does it look like one to you?
130_3014.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically this thread states that zach has the only real bowser in the world???? Hog wash if you ask me....That second pic looks way different than the first...

OP
OP
poomba

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the only one, just the only one that I know of. I found references to most of the other known frags melting. I also guarantee that the second frag is the same zoa, just not in as good of shape with as good of a photo. If you go back to the thread he claims direct lineage to AIM at a time before Bowsers were common or being traded on the secondary market.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
poomba

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the second pic of the first strain not being the same type, look at the heavy shadowing in that photo along with how dark those zoas in the back ground are. Plain and simple its bad lighting.

OP
OP
poomba

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they may date back a bit further.

In late 2006 "Rainbow Palys" made their debut and I can remember at least a handful of morphs being available. I ended up getting a couple different ones through trades, including one that looked a lot like the Bowser. I wish I would have taken more and better pictures back then.

Here's a pic from January 2007, does it look like one to you?
130_3014.jpg

You know, its entirely possible that it is. Its characteristics while under propagation are almost as important as its appearance as far as whether or not two zoa are the same is concerned.

I think its rather silly to think the Bowsers were only imported once, or that the entire strain was removed from the wild. That's why I consider it entirely possible that Strain 3 are wild imported Bowsers.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good read, really enjoyed it! Akwarius needs to post pics of his next to the CAO and the CARs on his site! Maybe next to a Shazaam too for good measure. Would be an epic pic to be passed on for a long time!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My CAR's morphed into an almost, if not identical replica of the bowser.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember Jeremy telling me that his Bowsers grew glacially slow. /shrug always a paly I've wanted one way or another.

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for anyone who pays/has paid bowser price for what is obviously a morph of CAR.

Big flag goes up whenever I notice how the VAST majority of the hype for a variety has been built with shady/obviously inaccurate photos(several of the photos on the first page raise that flag for sure).

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back