The closest one can get to true self sustaining thread

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier to model in freshwater setups, plants are simply more adaptable that coral systems across temperature and electricity-free arrangements

I'm still cheating here due to shining plugged in lights... But they can be windowsill ran as well

These systems are tests of ultra old (for nanos) ultra slow growing setups. They do not plug into anything, they're stand alone designed not to go stagnant, and to function off a period of hands off that starts -after- a long ramp up period of hands on

Most just cap the first go and see what happens, plants fade in time

If you stack and guide the nutrient losing first a while then stop, you provide a care pack that can sustain nicely without much intervention

in the case of this sealed glass arrangement several mos ago I stopped fertilizing it/held my breath for 15 seconds to pack in the co2 then slowly exhaled up under the pressure sealing lid and locked it, it's newer test arrangement.
IMG_20170223_222916257.jpg
Since then it's been recirculating the carbon and co2 as growth/decay-- it has dew cycles Humidity zone

IMG_20170223_220036886.jpg

Below is planted system early 2000s start date

Holds 3-4 gallons of water, but designed for max emersion growth. open topped, active evaporation Amazonian system. From 2003- until about 2010 I did not one water change using feeder guppies to substrate load the system. Only topoff and ferts sparsely flake feed too

It has a thirteen inch deep sand bed, two pounds of powered laterite at the bottom, specially designed stratifications in the bed that I feel will self-renew off cherry shrimp waste and never collapse or need replacing

The bowl is unfed, unheated, un circulated, averages 13 feet emersed growth. It's a slow grower, getting bamboo that tall takes a while

Metal halide helps
19 circumference acrylic sphere, this is the one that will run forever given top off and ferts occasionally.... That's a ton of command uptake just for three gallons. This is the most stable system I could design, it will run decades and not deplete.

terrariumglobe.jpg

20151127_221534-picsay.jpg
IMG_20170225_084157311.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef version, 11 yrs. Not plumbed no filter, rock and corals and sand. Water changes and feeding

But tiny

Due to partial sealing design, one gallon vase beats any circulated reef tank in the ability to take # of days to go from .023 to .024 using no ATO... just the inherent system design to control water loss. With no topoff and slight air input decrease, the gallon reef can go six days in that range because the lid rests on the inner diameter of the neck opening and directs all splash back down in the vase.

That's blue sps plating over the front, we're just seeing the bottom anchor point the blue faces in. It has to be pruned obviously, but these are the base minimalist operating systems avail imo for each unique environ model. Longevity is the sole goal and maximizing bioloading per square inch
IMG_1737.JPG

The vase is heated and airstone ran.

Anyone else like minimalist setups?

PJ reefs is a poster who makes really neat highly self sufficient reef models and they run stilled, not circulated, and unheated that's worth a searching. Bare bones setups are my fav.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back