The cool reality of starting a new tank- A decision has been made!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm going on and on about the new small tank that I'm going to do...And you know what? It's making me take a very honest look at where I'm at as a hobbyist- and where I intend to go.

As you recall, I was debating about what size and configuration of aquarium systemI'm interested in...and I told you I'd probably go back and forth. Let me tell you where I'm at now...I'm completely comfortable with the idea of an AIO tank. Yeah, something "pret a porter" as they say in the fashion world. Ready to go.

In fact, I've decided I'm going "AIO", and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

11352084_486086844889688_266493237_n.jpg

The possibilities are amazing...

I'm very convinced that being open to new ideas is the best way to progress in this hobby. Now, you know I may act all crotchety about some stuff, but the reality is that it's important to be open minded and frank with yourself, just as with others...And frankly, I'm thinking that I'm just not feeling the concept of assembling a system entirely from scratch components and putting it all together. Yeah. I said it. Kind of a tough ego thing for a modern reefer to say, right?

I see no problem in using an all in one system as the "nucleus" of my new tank, for several reasons. The one I'm going to use - the Innovative Marine "Fusion Lagoon 50", has so many things going for it: A great profile, manageable size, well-thought-out integrated systems, and the ability to modify easily. Works for a basic hobbyist, or even an advanced nut job like me. These are all important factors which are pushing me towards utilizing this system. When we participated in the launch video shoot a few weeks back, I knew I was in love the minute I saw the tank. Yeah, a sexy black high gloss stand, open top...had it all. Perfect for me.

And quite frankly, I'm not in a mind space at the moment where I feel up to doing an entirely "custom" setup. I've done many of them in my hobby "career", and they are a lot of fun...but I'm just not wanting to do that now. This is a big thing for me...not feeling the need to "validate" or get "cred" by doing a monster custom build at the moment. It's important... It's weird how people seem to think that if you don't do something a certain way, you're not doing it the right way.

Crazy.

In talking to some people, I was getting feedback that counseled me against using an AIO because it would somehow "hurt my image..." Are you kidding me? Reefing for the fun of reefing...It feels right, and I'm disgusted that I ever thought there would be another reason to do a reef, like succumbing to peer pressure, others' expectations, etc. As if selecting an amazingly high quality, truly versatile product and ENJOYING it is a problem...

Doing a lousy reef of any kind would be far more "damaging" than using an off-the-shelf AIO type tank, in my opinion...It's about understanding that every reef is cool, and every reef can be whatever we want it to be.

I'm so excited to be working with a great aquarium that's right for me- as I think all reefers should be regardless of what tank they select to work with.

Now...time to select the theme, and the components to get the job done...Stay tuned!

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice Scott, like you I have had so many tanks over the 35 years of reef keeping. I went from 3000 gallons down to a IM 40. I have learned how to manage just fine.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice Scott, like you I have had so many tanks over the 35 years of reef keeping. I went from 3000 gallons down to a IM 40. I have learned how to manage just fine.

Yeah, it was a natural choice for me. I think the footprint will work perfectly for any of the themes I'm toying with...and to be able to really give it the attention to detail it deserves, and to manage the tank how I want to manage it- in a way that works for my busy life, is too irresistible to not try!

-Scott

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the big allure for having a large custom tank is simply the fish possibilities, these AIO tanks are really nice for a smaller tank. Perhaps not as customizable as some people like, but I suppose that's the point isn't it? It looks like it'll be a nice tank, keep us updated on the progression. :)

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of lagoon tanks. I remember becoming fascinated with the hobby after seeing a volcano tank. I look forward to following this build.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked my AIO, I think that's why I've let it go for so long.

If you're still looking for ideas, I don't see myself getting to mine anytime soon. Simply put, it is a saltwater Iwagumi. Marble tiles cover the bottom of the tank in different heights to get a rolling landscape with the standard Iwagumi rockscape in live rock. GSP grows over the tiles to carpet the tank and a different colored Cyphastrea covering each rock. Finish it off with a small school of Bangaii Cardinals and you have something Amano himself would have applauded.

elagui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will this tank be in your home or office? I come often to unique corals to buy my live stock since i live in the area it would be cool to see how its coming along.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thoughts and ideas by all! I'm looking forward to having a system once again that I can manage within the framework of my busy lifestyle. It's neat to think of all of the cool possibilities!

Love the "SW Iwagumi" thought! Lots of ideas are swirling in my head as I finalize the idea.

Thanks for stopping in!

Scott

jazonPartij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an IM 40 also. I'm brand new to the hobby but I'd love to see yours

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice! I have had an IM10 AIO in my office for over a year now. And, it has corals in it from nearly two years ago that I got at RAP from some little coral house out of Van Nuys... hehehe. I can't wait to see you playing with Apex Fusion!

IMG_3051 (1).jpg IMG_2413.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice! I have had an IM10 AIO in my office for over a year now. And, it has corals in it from nearly two years ago that I got at RAP from some little coral house out of Van Nuys... hehehe. I can't wait to see you playing with Apex Fusion!

IMG_3051 (1).jpg IMG_2413.jpg

Yu bet I will! It's going to be a lot of fun! Looking forward tenting the 21st century...even if its kicking and screaming, lol.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM-60, my first tank - and contrary to your post (and probably like most first timers I wish it was bigger). Now funds for a bigger tank seem far away but I'm thinking about the new 25 gallon lagoon (fits where I can put it, or I'd go with the 50 - now just need to convince the wife).
As far as the AIO its prefect, I didn't have too worry about plumbing and over-flow placement or any of that. And it is customizable as you say. Instead of the two filter-socks, I have one and the other chamber is a refugium of sorts (albeit a small one). Go with the biggest Ghost skimmer that will fit the skimmer chamber and upgrade the return pumps, If I was doing it now I'd do something like the Vectra from EcoTech or if you're going all Apex maybe their new controllable return pump.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM-60, my first tank - and contrary to your post (and probably like most first timers I wish it was bigger). Now funds for a bigger tank seem far away but I'm thinking about the new 25 gallon lagoon (fits where I can put it, or I'd go with the 50 - now just need to convince the wife).
As far as the AIO its prefect, I didn't have too worry about plumbing and over-flow placement or any of that. And it is customizable as you say. Instead of the two filter-socks, I have one and the other chamber is a refugium of sorts (albeit a small one). Go with the biggest Ghost skimmer that will fit the skimmer chamber and upgrade the return pumps, If I was doing it now I'd do something like the Vectra from EcoTech or if you're going all Apex maybe their new controllable return pump.
Yes, the upgradable thing is something that can't be overlooked!

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no difference whether you chose a AIO or not. Either will work just fine. I'm more interested about the style of SW iwagumi you are planning. How do you plan on creating this scape? I excited to see the rock layout. So many questions to think about when scaping, such as rock type, shape, texture, are you going to cement rocks together or try to find two that fit or carve the rocks or leave open rock space for coral to grow into? So many things to think about. That's what I'm excited to see. :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no difference whether you chose a AIO or not. Either will work just fine. I'm more interested about the style of SW iwagumi you are planning. How do you plan on creating this scape? I excited to see the rock layout. So many questions to think about when scaping, such as rock type, shape, texture, are you going to cement rocks together or try to find two that fit or carve the rocks or leave open rock space for coral to grow into? So many things to think about. That's what I'm excited to see. :)

I agree with you on the tank choice..It's largely how you manage it- selections, care, etc.

Assuming I go with something "Iwagumi-inspired", I may simply go with some nice choice small rocks and build it up in a manner reminiscent of the FW aquarium that embrace this design philosophy, like this one:

iwagumi-style-tank.jpg

It's been done before in saltwater. A memorable one was done by my pal (and aquascaping confident!) Johnny Ciotti back in 2010:

maxresdefault.jpg

Johnny's work is a "textbook" Iwagumi configuration. It could work quite well with a "deepwater" themed tank...I can see Assessors or Glass Cardinals hanging out under the projecting overhangs...

Regardless of the "style", I think I want a pretty open structure, with minimal rock and more coral...The tank will be more about natural coral growth than about a powerful rockscape per se. If I go the deepwater Acropora route, this will definitely be more challenging, because of the shapes and growth patterns of many of these corals and how they "cover" rocks:

UC3-super-green-deepwater-acro-m-108.jpg

UC1half-indo-Deepwater-acro-58.jpg

UC4andhalfinch-bali-mari-acropora-sp-deepwater-acro-198.jpg

If I go for the "Millipora Reef" concept, it will build on something like this:

7_47.jpg

A sort of "flat-topped" reef structure, dominated by coral, with little rock present or visible. Of course, much of this will be dictated by the growth forms of the corals I select. Corymbose versus tabling, etc....

UC1andhalfinch-light-red-millie-frag-78.jpg

A2 Table 55 -  Sep10.jpg

I am afraid to be too strictly "bound" by defining the reef as "Iwagumi Style" or "Iwagumi Inspired"- rather, I'd just like it to fit my sense of mood and aesthetics and NOT have to "comply" with anyone's "concept" or definitions...The idea is about creating something fun and that will permeate every decision...How can I get the enjoyable, fun result that I want? Will this decision make this more fun for me? And most important, will it benefit the animals I intend to keep?

Having at least finalized the tank choice gives me a framework to push the conceptual framework further.

Dang, this is FUN!

-Scott

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back