The "spark."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday was typical post-Reefapalooza day at Unique Corals. Everyone was bit groggy from a very long and busy weekend, yet eager to get back and keep going into Fall- the start "Reef Season", when we all break out of the summer "malaise" and get down to the business of really having fun with corals!

We had a little informal get together with our industry friends that were still in town, including Vic and Lou from Worldwide Corals, Justin Credabel from ReefGen, Mark Tetrault from Marco Rock, Dave Fason from Nanobox Reef, and a few other crazies who stopped by. It's a little known fact, but your UC Livestock Manager, Melvin Caranzza, happens to be a wizard on the grill, and whipped up some SoCal style grilling for those in attendance...Just a fun day overall.

12122909_1004776062897594_5804931490327943064_n.jpg

Our "Grill Master" and the guy who makes sure your corals are in top shape, Melvin...showing more mad skills!

12087995_1004776082897592_893036213363160215_n.jpg

UC's Patty serves up some grub to some hungry visitors- Victor and Lou from WWC, and Marc from Marco Rock.

One of the funny scene during the afternoon- and really, a precious memory- is when Lou from WWC- one of the hobby's greatest guys and biggest lover of corals there is, from one of the best vendors in the business, grabbed some corals he liked from one of our raceways and just took it to the saws and was fragging away as if he owned the place..or at least, worked here...A testimony to our "culture" within the industry; it's not "cut throat like you might suspect; most legit coral vendors are friends with other legit coral vendors. A sort of bizarre "extended family", if you will, with trust and friendship at the core. It's that cool to have such dear friends in the industry to compare, share, and learn from. We are all blessed.

And it made me reflect a bit (oaky, EVERYTHING seems to make me reflect a bit) about how we all got into this game of reef keeping...What was the "spark" that ignited this whole thing? What paths led us here? Despite geographic, economic, cultural, and other differences, we are all bound together by a common love of reefs. It's amazing, actually.

IMG_2023.jpg

3.5-Hairy-Orange-Sunset-MillieDO NOT USE.jpg

It's really about the corals at the end of the day, right?

I asked some of the attendees what got them into the hobby and when, and, as suspected, received a variety of answers.

Some were lifelong fish hobbyists, like myself, who was pretty much given fishes the minute I could walk by my dad, also a fish geek. Others stumbled upon the hobby as a teenager, looking for something cool. Still others evolved from freshwater adventures. Some started later in life, starting right off the bat in the reef keeping world. Some started with a nan tank full of "Nemos", and others went the more traditional route. A few people I talked to started right in with 100 gallon plus reefs, and learned what they needed to know along the way, making a few spectacular failures on the way to equally spectacular success.

pngFISHhero.jpg

Remember these? Not a "Nemo" in the true sense...miss them now!

The common thread is that everyone who's been in the reef keeping game started with tremendous enthusiasm for the hobby, and it never seemed to leave. What is it about this hobby that gets into our blood, our essence, our DNA, that gets passed on to our children and family...and even to unsuspecting friends? What was it that got YOU into the reef keeping hobby? Did someone expose you to a cool reef tank, or did you sort of wander into the LFS and say, "I want one of THOSE?" Or, did you just covet reefs on the internet and "self-teach" yourself?

I'm curious, because we have so many people from so many diverse backgrounds who bring lots of different skills to the table. It's what keeps our culture the amazing thing that it is.

So to all of you who play with corals, glue, saltwater, tons of cash, and electricity....

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first office at work and decided it needed a tank. Bumped in to a guy at the LFS who sounded like he knew what was what. That's how I went SW and met John Coppolino. Within 12 months I had a 400g system at home.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first office at work and decided it needed a tank. Bumped in to a guy at the LFS who sounded like he knew what was what. That's how I went SW and met John Coppolino. Within 12 months I had a 400g system at home.
Yeah, you were done as soon as you met Copps...If he isn't one of the most stoked reefers on the planet, and IF he can't "infect" you with the reef "bug", then you just don't have a pulse, right? And you, my friend, were profoundly "infected" with the Reef Bug! :)

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in exuma Bahamas for a while, while constructing a sandals . I spent every bit of free time I had finding reefs on the jet ski then diving them, it was amazing! then got back to the States surrounded by pine trees and black water again and missed the reefs so bad I started looking up how to keep Saltwater fish and I set up a tank. I heard of a great fish store about a hr away and when I got there I saw corals and was blown away I could keep them to, so after that I was hooked bad and been reefing ever since.:)

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

It was good seeing you at RAP if only briefly (this is Chad btw).

I really enjoy your articles. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in exuma Bahamas for a while, while constructing a sandals . I spent every bit of free time I had finding reefs on the jet ski then diving them, it was amazing! then got back to the States surrounded by pine trees and black water again and missed the reefs so bad I started looking up how to keep Saltwater fish and I set up a tank. I heard of a great fish store about a hr away and when I got there I saw corals and was blown away I could keep them to, so after that I was hooked bad and been reefing ever since.:)
I love those kinds of stories...So many people get into reef keeping by seeing the reefs in person! Cool!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

It was good seeing you at RAP if only briefly (this is Chad btw).

I really enjoy your articles. Keep up the good work!
Ah, Chad, I know...these events are SOOO crazy- it's really hard to talk for any great lengths of time! Was good seeing lots of familiar faces, though! Hopefully e'll have more time to chat next time!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have some of the best corals at RAP. I had no idea your SPS game was so strong.
Thanks very much. We have worked very hard to develop a consistently excellent crop of Acros, and I think this weekend was sort of a "coming out party" for us...We've always thought that we farm good Acros, but the consistency, color, and quality are light years ahead of where we were even a year ago. The results of learning by failing, building, trying again, and repeating what works..no real secret.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always enjoyed watching documentaries on the ocean, I also enjoy a good challenge and decided I wanted to see if I could keep just a fish. So I bought a (just missed a cubbies HR typing this!) book, what a "mistake" that was lol. I actually had coral in the tank before a fish. Coming up on 5 years and I've killed more then I'd care to admit but I learn something every time I look into my tank or pick up my phone and I just can't get enough of it!

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the huge reef tank at sea world in Orlando. Me and my wife stared at that tank for hours, lol. I was I aww of the corals and fish. Ever since that day we were hooked! I did a lot of research and jumped in head first and bought a 220 gallon and haven't looked back. This hobby has become more of a lifestyle for me. I love every aspect from coral to fish to everyone's different techniques in keeping them. I Have definitely made some mistakes but that's another thing I love about it, it's a constant learning curve. I learn something new everyday. I can talk coral for hours, lol just ask my wife, she will tell you, lol

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crazy rainbow looking acro that I was talking about was crazy insane...imagine a shortcake with all the rainbow colors in it....wow!!!

DeanF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I have talked with you a couple of times at MACNAs and here in Omaha at Nebraska Aquatic. Love your constant enthusiasm for the hobby. I actually hate the term hobby and prefer to look at it as a lifestyle. I have been keeping fish on and off for almost 40 years. Bred freshwater angels when younger. I got out of the aquarium keeping lifestyle for a lot of years until I had children. My daughter had a little friend when she was 5 that had a tank and I love her more than life itself. She wanted a fish tank as well so of course I bought her one. Then we needed some more fish, I made the mistake of taking her to a LFS after seeing Finding Nemo and what do we see the minute we go in the store but a tank full of clown fish. Long story short, we sold the little 20 gallon we bought and got a full blown 90 gallon reef tank. Fast forward 6 years later and I now have a custome built Miracles tank at around 425 gallons with total system volume at about 550 gallons. My daughter is now helping me to take care of this and I get to educate her friends on the value of our oceans and the animals in them. I love this lifestyle.

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up having never seen the ocean with the exception of watching Jacque Cousteau on Saturday mornings and admiring reef images that graced the pages of my father's National Geographic magazines. I loved the colors and the diversity of life, almost to the point of pursuing marine biology as my college major. I decided that path wasn't for me, but while working at a pet store in college, the owner decided to carry salt water fish and corals...I got put in charge of this section because I started to learn everything I could get my hands on about these crazy new creatures. (scary thought, a complete rookie in charge of something so complex...makes me appreciate the stories I hear of people making purchases at the advice of "store employees") After many failures, we didn't have the internet quite yet, and Juliene Sprung was the go to authority from what I saw of his early articles in the fish magazines, I did eventually set up my own 29 gal reef tank, complete with a powder blue tang and six other fish, including one coral beauty that became a late night snack for my bubble coral, and a yellow dyed ritteri with PC lights at 4 watts per gallon...I did end up moving the tang into a much larger reef when I broke that one down during a move. From there, it was just the typical fever we all go through. I did get the rare occasion to make several buying trips to the LA wholesalers, and had my eyes really opened to the possibilities of this hobby! Quality Marine had the best wrasses and an awesome shark tank/tub, Underwater World had more ritteri and colored carpets in their tanks than I've ever seen and Sea Dwelling Creatures had the coolest fish (those were my three favorites, lol). I even remember Flying Fish Express, now Live Aquaria, lol.
The scary part is, I still feel like I know next to nothing about this vast hobby. Although this site has been very attractive to me, because I recognize so many screen names here, that I've learned so much from and continue to amaze me at their dedication and knowledge of things. (I have a minor in chemistry and I still get a headache reading one of Mr. Randy Holmes-Farley's posts, and then have to read it two more times to understand what's being explained half the time, lol)

Gamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love coral reefs and used to scuba dive along Florida coast, Hawaii on my honeymoon, and some really cool springs here in Texas. Hurt my back had surgery and lost lot of feeling in foot so can no longer dive. Snorkel when I can now but having my own mini reef allows me to experience the beauty of aquatic life every day. I also love spreading my passion on to my three grandsons ...second thing they check out when they come over. First they always give their Gamma and big hug of course!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I have talked with you a couple of times at MACNAs and here in Omaha at Nebraska Aquatic. Love your constant enthusiasm for the hobby. I actually hate the term hobby and prefer to look at it as a lifestyle. I have been keeping fish on and off for almost 40 years. Bred freshwater angels when younger. I got out of the aquarium keeping lifestyle for a lot of years until I had children. My daughter had a little friend when she was 5 that had a tank and I love her more than life itself. She wanted a fish tank as well so of course I bought her one. Then we needed some more fish, I made the mistake of taking her to a LFS after seeing Finding Nemo and what do we see the minute we go in the store but a tank full of clown fish. Long story short, we sold the little 20 gallon we bought and got a full blown 90 gallon reef tank. Fast forward 6 years later and I now have a custome built Miracles tank at around 425 gallons with total system volume at about 550 gallons. My daughter is now helping me to take care of this and I get to educate her friends on the value of our oceans and the animals in them. I love this lifestyle.
Couldn't think of a more awesome way to get into the hobby...er, lifestyle! LOL.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up having never seen the ocean with the exception of watching Jacque Cousteau on Saturday mornings and admiring reef images that graced the pages of my father's National Geographic magazines. I loved the colors and the diversity of life, almost to the point of pursuing marine biology as my college major. I decided that path wasn't for me, but while working at a pet store in college, the owner decided to carry salt water fish and corals...I got put in charge of this section because I started to learn everything I could get my hands on about these crazy new creatures. (scary thought, a complete rookie in charge of something so complex...makes me appreciate the stories I hear of people making purchases at the advice of "store employees") After many failures, we didn't have the internet quite yet, and Juliene Sprung was the go to authority from what I saw of his early articles in the fish magazines, I did eventually set up my own 29 gal reef tank, complete with a powder blue tang and six other fish, including one coral beauty that became a late night snack for my bubble coral, and a yellow dyed ritteri with PC lights at 4 watts per gallon...I did end up moving the tang into a much larger reef when I broke that one down during a move. From there, it was just the typical fever we all go through. I did get the rare occasion to make several buying trips to the LA wholesalers, and had my eyes really opened to the possibilities of this hobby! Quality Marine had the best wrasses and an awesome shark tank/tub, Underwater World had more ritteri and colored carpets in their tanks than I've ever seen and Sea Dwelling Creatures had the coolest fish (those were my three favorites, lol). I even remember Flying Fish Express, now Live Aquaria, lol.
The scary part is, I still feel like I know next to nothing about this vast hobby. Although this site has been very attractive to me, because I recognize so many screen names here, that I've learned so much from and continue to amaze me at their dedication and knowledge of things. (I have a minor in chemistry and I still get a headache reading one of Mr. Randy Holmes-Farley's posts, and then have to read it two more times to understand what's being explained half the time, lol)
Yeah- it's a lifelong obsession, and the learning NEVER stops! Thanks for sharing your journey...and that's what it is- a journey. An awesome one at that!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love coral reefs and used to scuba dive along Florida coast, Hawaii on my honeymoon, and some really cool springs here in Texas. Hurt my back had surgery and lost lot of feeling in foot so can no longer dive. Snorkel when I can now but having my own mini reef allows me to experience the beauty of aquatic life every day. I also love spreading my passion on to my three grandsons ...second thing they check out when they come over. First they always give their Gamma and big hug of course!
They hug Gamma and then admire her Royal Gramma (c'mon, I couldn't resist- you set me up! LOL)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back