The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to photograph wrasse is the only thing I've ever tried that was more frustrating than golf or tournament archery! You guys that take such beautiful pictures please share some of your secrets. Equipment, settings, techniques? I'm learning by trial and error but my learning curve is way to slow for my tastes!

These are the best ones I've been able to get and they're still not good. Took about 200 pics to get these 3!
Ear%20Muff%202%201%20of%201_zpsuhdbtxr4.jpg

Wrasse%20trio%201%20of%201_zpsyzywe87o.jpg

Ear%20Muff%205%201%20of%201_zpsysofzp0i.jpg
I think you did a great job with your pics. I get though how hard it is to get our fish to hold still. Too bad they don't respond to our commands lol. Please tell us the name of the light blue wrasse. Love the flame and leopard

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to photograph wrasse is the only thing I've ever tried that was more frustrating than golf or tournament archery! You guys that take such beautiful pictures please share some of your secrets. Equipment, settings, techniques? I'm learning by trial and error but my learning curve is way to slow for my tastes!

These are the best ones I've been able to get and they're still not good. Took about 200 pics to get these 3!
Ear%20Muff%202%201%20of%201_zpsuhdbtxr4.jpg

Wrasse%20trio%201%20of%201_zpsyzywe87o.jpg

Ear%20Muff%205%201%20of%201_zpsysofzp0i.jpg
I use a nikon d5300 and rapid shoot. Even then only a fraction are useable.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 ppm nitrates are not really an issue. Many people run that or higher all the time. But if it is ich try treating with Dr. G's anti-parasitic food.

Interesting, has anyone here tried it? I am pretty sure as my yellow tang was showing a few spots, my Katherines still has spots but is eating and active currently.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Saw this posted by a vendor on a FB group.
They called this a male leopard.
Looks more like a female to me.
Wish I had it. Love the color.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking to setup wrasse only tank with 20 gallon tank. My other tank is Redsea 350 with no cover so can't have wrasse. I have a 20 gallon tank with cover and hang on back filter. how many could I have (thinking 2-3) and which type that is hardy (I like the leopard and flasher)

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking to setup wrasse only tank with 20 gallon tank. My other tank is Redsea 350 with no cover so can't have wrasse. I have a 20 gallon tank with cover and hang on back filter. how many could I have (thinking 2-3) and which type that is hardy (I like the leopard and flasher)

Thanks
In a 20g I would stick with Wetmorellas or Pseudocheilinops ataenia.

Jose H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two fairy wrasses and a melanurus wrasse in my aquarium, along with a couple of tangs, clowns, scooter blennys, and want to add a couple of different wrasses soon. Any suggestions? Would like them to be peaceful and reef safe.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two fairy wrasses and a melanurus wrasse in my aquarium, along with a couple of tangs, clowns, scooter blennys, and want to add a couple of different wrasses soon. Any suggestions? Would like them to be peaceful and reef safe.
What species of fairy wrasses and what size tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant mystery wrasse ((Pseudocheilinus ocellatus). Those two are about 1.5"-2" and the melanurus is about 2.5". They're in a 125Gallon
Mystery wrasses can be notoriously aggressive toward other wrasses. Especially as they get more established in a tank. I wouldn't add peaceful wrasses to them. Only semi-aggressive species will fare well with them long-term.

Jose H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery wrasses can be notoriously aggressive toward other wrasses. Especially as they get more established in a tank. I wouldn't add peaceful wrasses to them. Only semi-aggressive species will fare well with them long-term.
I've had the two mystery wrasses for about a year. I honestly only saw the fighting once and that's it. I guess it was to establish who was dominant, and now they just act like one another doesn't exist. The melanurus i got about 2 months ago and it also ignores the mystery wrasses

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading this thread over the last couple of days, and let's just say I'm a bit overwhelmed! I've never had a wrasse before ... what the heck was I thinking?

Well, now I'm working on my 96 x 30 x 30 peninsula build (my house should be ready this coming June with tank set up beginning around that time), so I have a bit of lead time to process and research. Currently I have a 34g and 14g tank so this is a HUGE upgrade. I've had up to 150g in the past just not now. Woot!

I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction for compatible tank mates given my size of tank. We're thinking smaller, more peaceful fish with lots of color and interesting to watch. I have no idea right now if my list is way too long or not since I don't see many tanks in my area this size and it's a bit hard for me to conceive of it in my head. I figure I'll start with the list and get a good order in which to add the fish and if I run out of appropriate amount of space / filtration for them then I'll stop :) Plus I'll have to see what my local LFS are able to get for me. I will have a 34g QT / hospital tank and another 34g tank for food grow out in addition to sump/refuge below the tank).

Wrasses:
Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) 4”
Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) 5” (add last?)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) 3”
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) (5”)
Labouti Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) 5”
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus) 5”
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (macropharyngodon ornatus) 5”
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) 3”

Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) 5”
Pearlscale Butterflyfish (Chaetodon xanthrusus) 5.5”
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) 8.5” (x2? maybe if ok with other butterflyfish)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra) 5”
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora) 3.5” x ?#
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) 4.5” (Already have mated pair)
Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) 4.5”
Blue Stripe Neon Goby (Gobiosoma oceanops ) 2” x 2
Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus) 3.5”
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) 12” (My exception to the think small rule)

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection ... _Nice_ tank!

The only things that really stand out to me from a compatibility standpoint would be that the Pink Margin and Labouti wrasses may tangle - definitely use a social acclimation box here! - and the note that the pearlscale butterfly is likely to nibble on corals, if you plan to add them. Adding the Halichoeres melanurus last (among the wrasses, anyway) sounds like a good idea as well - I've never kept one, but they do have a bit of a reputation for being cranky with newcomers. Especially with the rather similar H. biocellatus. For the neon gobies, try to find an established pair in the shop - it makes keeping two in the same tank much easier (though with a tank that size, you may well have room for multiple territories!). When Eatbreakfast and Evolved come along, should they tell you _anything_ different ... listen to them, not me!

The only other thing I'd like to say is that I'd personally love to see some photos / videos once it's up and running!!

~Bruce

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection ... _Nice_ tank!

The only things that really stand out to me from a compatibility standpoint would be that the Pink Margin and Labouti wrasses may tangle - definitely use a social acclimation box here! - and the note that the pearlscale butterfly is likely to nibble on corals, if you plan to add them. Adding the Halichoeres melanurus last (among the wrasses, anyway) sounds like a good idea as well - I've never kept one, but they do have a bit of a reputation for being cranky with newcomers. Especially with the rather similar H. biocellatus. For the neon gobies, try to find an established pair in the shop - it makes keeping two in the same tank much easier (though with a tank that size, you may well have room for multiple territories!). When Eatbreakfast and Evolved come along, should they tell you _anything_ different ... listen to them, not me!

The only other thing I'd like to say is that I'd personally love to see some photos / videos once it's up and running!!

~Bruce

Thanks! I'm definitely flexible to stock list. If H. melanurus and H. biocellatus are going to be a problem, then I don't mind eliminating one or both from the list. Hopefully we can get the pink margin and labouti wrasses to play nice. I'll definitely post pics once we get up and running. :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading this thread over the last couple of days, and let's just say I'm a bit overwhelmed! I've never had a wrasse before ... what the heck was I thinking?

Well, now I'm working on my 96 x 30 x 30 peninsula build (my house should be ready this coming June with tank set up beginning around that time), so I have a bit of lead time to process and research. Currently I have a 34g and 14g tank so this is a HUGE upgrade. I've had up to 150g in the past just not now. Woot!

I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction for compatible tank mates given my size of tank. We're thinking smaller, more peaceful fish with lots of color and interesting to watch. I have no idea right now if my list is way too long or not since I don't see many tanks in my area this size and it's a bit hard for me to conceive of it in my head. I figure I'll start with the list and get a good order in which to add the fish and if I run out of appropriate amount of space / filtration for them then I'll stop :) Plus I'll have to see what my local LFS are able to get for me. I will have a 34g QT / hospital tank and another 34g tank for food grow out in addition to sump/refuge below the tank).

Wrasses:
Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) 4”
Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) 5” (add last?)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) 3”
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) (5”)
Labouti Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) 5”
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus) 5”
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (macropharyngodon ornatus) 5”
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) 3”

Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) 5”
Pearlscale Butterflyfish (Chaetodon xanthrusus) 5.5”
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) 8.5” (x2? maybe if ok with other butterflyfish)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra) 5”
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora) 3.5” x ?#
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) 4.5” (Already have mated pair)
Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) 4.5”
Blue Stripe Neon Goby (Gobiosoma oceanops ) 2” x 2
Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus) 3.5”
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) 12” (My exception to the think small rule)
That list looks pretty good.

In that size tank there shouldn't be that many compatibility issues between the wrasses.

As Maritimer mentioned, the pearlscale butterfly isn't reef safe.

For firefish stick to one specimen unless you can get them as a bonded pr.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back