The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That list looks pretty good.

In that size tank there shouldn't be that many compatibility issues between the wrasses.

As Maritimer mentioned, the pearlscale butterfly isn't reef safe.

For firefish stick to one specimen unless you can get them as a bonded pr.

Thanks for the input both of you! I really appreciate having someone with wrasse experience check over my thoughts. I already have the Pearlscale (long story!). He's not nibbling at anything ... yet. I ended up with a spare small tank that came with some fish I never would have put in something that small but I figured I'll be upgrading soon enough for them.

I do like to try to get anything I want as a pair as a pre-bonded pair if possible. I like to see that they're not trying to kill each other to begin with. :)

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Sea Grass Wrasse. He is very shy. In fact, after bringing him home, he spent the first week under the gravel. I was really getting worried and it took a lot of discipline not to go digging for him to see if he was still alive. He is eating live BBS, Ova, and chopped oysters, shrimp, and salmon. He is scared of black worms and will dive in the gravel as soon as I put some in the tank. This will change as soon as he figures out that they are food. He will be going into my 120G mixed reef.

sgw.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Sea Grass Wrasse. He is very shy. In fact, after bringing him home, he spent the first week under the gravel. I was really getting worried and it took a lot of discipline not to go digging for him to see if he was still alive. He is eating live BBS, Ova, and chopped oysters, shrimp, and salmon. He is scared of black worms and will dive in the gravel as soon as I put some in the tank. This will change as soon as he figures out that they are food. He will be going into my 120G mixed reef.

sgw.jpg
Be wary as it gets larger. H. chloropterus can get pretty pugnacious in a mixed reef when they get older.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but seeing that I have two of these guys, not together, I know about their pugnaciousness.

dw.jpg

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably with the tonos wrasse. My female monsoon wasn't too bad towards anyone but she was added nearly last and was smaller than most

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male Monsoon is pretty bossy. He's pretty small compared to some of the others, but definitely doesn't have issue chasing any of them around. He's actually my only Wrasse that seems to chase anybody off.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, the possum wrasse just couldn't compete with aggressive feeders that you have in the list. I found this the hard way....:(

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my hooded wrasse a couple days ago to what I think is an Ich breakout in the tank, potentially velvet. :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back