The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse related question. I would love to have a M. meleagris leopard wrasse but I would prefer it stays with female coloration, I have heard that in the home aquaria even a pair is likely to become two males at some point. Is there a trick to keeping them female?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse related question. I would love to have a M. meleagris leopard wrasse but I would prefer it stays with female coloration, I have heard that in the home aquaria even a pair is likely to become two males at some point. Is there a trick to keeping them female?

Get a tiny female so you have it longer ;) Wrasses don't really "pair" though, they have a dominance hierarchy. You could try a harem in a larger tank, but even then you might end up with multiple males or sub males. Not from my own experience, but I've read that the bipartis leopards are a little easier to keep in harems. I've also read that melaegris males can be a little more assertive to other leopard males and even some halichoerus wrasses. I just bought one, so I've been reading up on them quite a bit. Here's my little gal with my flame female in QT.
c17d439615f55a0b22773cd773e9276e.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note, I feel like my female jordani is already starting to look a bit more "male" ish, or am I just imagining it?
87c2ee9ff77d5e22843a8920024b3725.jpg

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of buying a fairy wrasse for my 40b. I don't have any aggressive fishes in my tank. I already ordered a yellow coris wrasse and now I'm thinking about either a flasher or fairy wrasse. I'm leaning towards fairy because I can't find a pair or mccosker's flasher. Any suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are less likely to transition in aquaria than other wrasses, such as fairies, flashers, and Halichoeres wrasses. Leopards also do better in harems in large enough systems than other wrasses, so even if one did transition others would likely keep female coloration.
I'm thinking of buying a fairy wrasse for my 40b. I don't have any aggressive fishes in my tank. I already ordered a yellow coris wrasse and now I'm thinking about either a flasher or fairy wrasse. I'm leaning towards fairy because I can't find a pair or mccosker's flasher. Any suggestions?
Don't do a pr of flasher or fairy wrasses, especially in a 40g. Wrasses don't form bonded prs, rather gender is based on social dynamics, which include flashing and displays, but also chasing. A 40g doesn't afford much escaping space for the submissive fish. Also, in aquaria female flasher and fairy wrasses usually transition into males, even with another male present, and males are quite intolerant of each other.

Rather than getting prs of specimens, get one individual of a few different species. Most flashers except octotaenia will work, as will smaller fairies, such as the lunatus complex, lubbocki, and rubeus.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are less likely to transition in aquaria than other wrasses, such as fairies, flashers, and Halichoeres wrasses. Leopards also do better in harems in large enough systems than other wrasses, so even if one did transition others would likely keep female coloration.

Don't do a pr of flasher or fairy wrasses, especially in a 40g. Wrasses don't form bonded prs, rather gender is based on social dynamics, which include flashing and displays, but also chasing. A 40g doesn't afford much escaping space for the submissive fish. Also, in aquaria female flasher and fairy wrasses usually transition into males, even with another male present, and males are quite intolerant of each other.

Rather than getting prs of specimens, get one individual of a few different species. Most flashers except octotaenia will work, as will smaller fairies, such as the lunatus complex, lubbocki, and rubeus.
Thanks a lot. This helps me a lot. I couldn't find these type of suggestions anywhere. So if I want a centerpiece for my tank, would you suggest a flasher or fairy? I need a good fish to make the tank look good.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guy over the weekend. He might just be the flashiest flasher I've ever had. In the shop, he was flashing non-stop, and now that he's in my QT, the same remains true. Crossing the tank? Calls for a flash! Catching a piece of food? Better flash! Weird human fish creature looked at me? Flash!

DSC_7954.jpg

I've had larger blue flashers in the past that I never saw flash. This guy is only medium size, yet determined to show me all his colors. I'm loving it!

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of females (3 biparts 1 melagris 1 potter and 1 ornate) a male melagris who transitioned in less than a month of getting him; one day he died and with in six months I had a bipart turn male, no others showing transition nor agressive behavior.

I've had my biparts for over three years.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. This helps me a lot. I couldn't find these type of suggestions anywhere. So if I want a centerpiece for my tank, would you suggest a flasher or fairy? I need a good fish to make the tank look good.
That's where personal preference comes into play. In your size tank I am partial to P. attenuatus, C. isoscoles, or C. rhomboidalis.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where personal preference comes into play. In your size tank I am partial to P. attenuatus, C. isoscoles, or C. rhomboidalis.
There are also a lot of less expensive options. I like P. Mccoskeri, C. Lubbocki (spelling?), and possom wrasses are a good option although they behave differently than fairies and flashers..

On another note, I just got a McCoskers last night. He's not even 2 inches long but ate more than 10 pieces of brine shrimp this morning. Quite an appetite.
7649246a3d46369804067ab4eb6132e2.jpg

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse experts, I need some Prazi advice please?

I have a wrasse in QT, that after settling in for 2 weeks and making sure it is eating really well, while dosing Paraguard for 10 days, I ran carbon for 2 days and then did a first dose of PraziPro. It went well and it continued eating. However by day 5 after the Prazi, when I was planning to do a water change and the recommended second dose of Prazi, I noticed it wasn't eating and hiding a bit more. I did the water change, but held back on the second Prazi dose. That was last week Friday. I also noticed the tank bottom was suspiciously clean, i.e. no poo, so I suspected constipation. If it was constipation, can it be caused by a die-off of intestinal parasites? I dosed Epsom salt for two days, and by Tuesday he was taking live baby brine shrimp, Wednesday live adult brine shrimp, and yesterday had some frozen again. He is also more active again.

I want to do the second dose of Prazi now, but am wondering if a second dose, 12 days after the first, will still serve the same purpose a second dose within 7 days should have achieved? Or should I rather do 2 more rounds?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse experts, I need some Prazi advice please?

I have a wrasse in QT, that after settling in for 2 weeks and making sure it is eating really well, while dosing Paraguard for 10 days, I ran carbon for 2 days and then did a first dose of PraziPro. It went well and it continued eating. However by day 5 after the Prazi, when I was planning to do a water change and the recommended second dose of Prazi, I noticed it wasn't eating and hiding a bit more. I did the water change, but held back on the second Prazi dose. That was last week Friday. I also noticed the tank bottom was suspiciously clean, i.e. no poo, so I suspected constipation. If it was constipation, can it be caused by a die-off of intestinal parasites? I dosed Epsom salt for two days, and by Tuesday he was taking live baby brine shrimp, Wednesday live adult brine shrimp, and yesterday had some frozen again. He is also more active again.

I want to do the second dose of Prazi now, but am wondering if a second dose, 12 days after the first, will still serve the same purpose a second dose within 7 days should have achieved? Or should I rather do 2 more rounds?
The timing of the 2 doses is based on the life cycle of parasites. So to ensure they are eliminated follow the instructions.

Prazi is an appetite suppressant, so make sure it is eating well and has gained strength before starting again.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timing of the 2 doses is based on the life cycle of parasites. So to ensure they are eliminated follow the instructions.

Prazi is an appetite suppressant, so make sure it is eating well and has gained strength before starting again.

Thank you. I have read that Prazi could suppress appetite, but since the appetite loss only started 5 days after treatment, and also having read that Prazi is only active in the water for about 72 hours, I thought it was some sort of secondary cause. Nevertheless, I will hold back on the second treatment and give him some time to build up reserves, and then do two treatments. Thanks again.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody is interested, exotic reef creations just posted an excellent list of fish that they have available including choati, lineatus, labouti, rhomboid. They have an extensive qt/conditioning procedure so their fish are super healthy, I purchased an Earmuff Wrasse from them that is doing great, and I would highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for any of those rarer wrasses.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back