The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them. but the covers just isn't practical for keeping them.

It's a bit more tricky with rimless or eurobraced tanks, still doable. But, with standard rimmed tanks it only takes about $20 in materials and 20-30 minutes to fashion a quick clear mesh cover. Check out BRS, they even have pre-cut kits with everything you need!

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't planning on getting any wrasses... after seeing this I may have some adjustments to make to my stocking plans...

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That work
IMG_1379.JPG

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa... alright! Finally I posted a pic. Thanks new iPhone. Now this tech moron can show a lil something

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a terminal male melanurus prevent sub-male timorensis and biocellatus from progressing to terminal?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a terminal male melanurus prevent sub-male timorensis and biocellatus from progressing to terminal?
Maybe, maybe not. In my own tanks all Halichoeres would transition regardless of other Halichoeres in the tank.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal that Fairy Wrasse hides? He was always out swimming. Last few days came out for couple hrs and today didn't even bother for food.
Fish was quarantined for 4-5 weeks(prazi and cupramine) , ate off my hand....I didn't really changed/added anything in tank.Thx

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal that Fairy Wrasse hides? He was always out swimming. Last few days came out for couple hrs and today didn't even bother for food.
Fish was quarantined for 4-5 weeks(prazi and cupramine) , ate off my hand....I didn't really changed/added anything in tank.Thx
Hiding like that is usually caused by 1 of 2 things. Either being bullied or injured. Injuries with wrasses are often from jumping and hitting a hard barrier.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found him in overflow! Not sure how i took him out if there! He was king in the tank.I only have Longnose Hawkish and 2 small clowns. Never seen problems here. Always thought he might cause them! What i noticed he doesn't sleep in same spot....

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same wrasse go into the overflow twice before I put a cover on it. With the pipes in there, I thought I would never get it out, but luckily I just chased it to jump back out!

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally found a local store that had a kuiteri in stock! Owner said it had been in store for around a month. Saw that it was eating well and took it home as I have wanted this fish for quite some time. I have had the fish for a week and she is eating well and is adjusting to my tank. I have two clowns and 4 zebra dartfish. My tank is a 120g 48x24x24 and would like to add some other leopards to the tank (thinking two more). I have observed the kuiteri this week and she is somewhat aggressive and will check my clowns and dartfish during feeding. Any recommendations on timing or what other leopards I should consider (meleagris, geoffroyi, ornatus, bipartitus)? I have heard that the kuiteri can be more aggressive than other leopards.
wrasse.jpg wrasse.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a kuiteri, or more than one leopard at a time so I can't really speak to aggression or compatibility... but I've had good luck with a negrosensis in a previous tank. Got along with several other fairy
/flasher wrasses and ate mysis and NLS pellets from day 1. I sold it when I took a break from the hobby a few years ago...I miss it.
92d49e445d85a3fb5f19e3a982dd1794.jpg

I have a tiny meleagris now in QT :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the general rule with putting together fairy wrasses from the same family? I have a male Rhomboid and was considering adding a male Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus.

They would be the only two wrasses.........I can add one or two more if it would help. For example a McCoskers or other small non aggressive species.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I've never kept those two, I wouldn't expect anything a social acclimation box couldn't help to overcome . . .

(If Evolved or EatBreakfast say anything different, listen to them - not me!)

~Bruce

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about the first wrasse introductions to my tank. I just introduced a 4 inch lineatus, 2 inch exquisitus, and a 3 inch solorensis and lawnmower blenny into my 110 after quarantine and everybody was eating well. I also have a 4 inch genicanthus Watanabe angelfish and she's bullying everyone. Not continually, but enough that I made more caves out of the rock and my lineatus decided she's going to hide except during feeding time. It's only been 3 days since release, but at what point do I try and capture the angelfish and put her in time out? She used to have another Watanabe angelfish, but she made her jump to her death when we were on vacation (screen went on immediately after).

I also have a pair of ocellaris clowns and yellow tang and they're not an issue.

Also the solorensis seems to just want to hang out near the surface, except for night time when he hunkers down like everyone else. He even did that when in quarantine. Is that normal for certain wrasses to pick spots and just hang out? The exquisitus is all over the tank, similar to the lineatus until he decided to hide in a new cave.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back