Toadstool polyps not opening

dub125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a toadstool a couple days ago and it will start to show some polyps and then it will just close up again and repeat. Is this normal?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for Sarcophyton to develop a waxy coating that the coral must shed before it opens completely. IME this coral type can take awhile to acclimate and does not like to be moved around the tank.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a toadstool a couple days ago and it will start to show some polyps and then it will just close up again and repeat. Is this normal?

If something is picking on it, yes. I had a dwarf angel picking on mine, never saw it nip it once, but once I pulled that fish, all polyps all the time. Until I went fallow and then hermit crabs kept crawling on it, removed those, it's open again.

Salt

OP
OP
D

dub125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something is picking on it, yes. I had a dwarf angel picking on mine, never saw it nip it once, but once I pulled that fish, all polyps all the time. Until I went fallow and then hermit crabs kept crawling on it, removed those, it's open again.

Salt
I do have a peppermint shrimp that occasional crawls on it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back