Treating for ich but still spots, need help

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I was just reading about metroplex and do you use the other products that it suggests like focus or garlic guard? I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm really not used to getting such prompt answers from someone so informative

Questions are always welcome here. :) Focus is a great product and good for binding medications to food. If you need to treat for intestinal worms, for instance, then you'd want to combine Focus and Metroplex with some food. Let it soak and feed it to the infected fish for treatment.

Garlic is great for getting a picky fish to eat. Or maybe a medication is causing a lack of appetite... garlic can be useful in encouraging said fish to start eating again when it normally might not.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I will not be feeding them the metroplex? The brief product description that I was reading was confusing

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Just ordered the metroplex and a refractometer. How do you judge whether or not additional formalin baths are needed, if symptoms are still present?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Just ordered the metroplex and a refractometer. How do you judge whether or not additional formalin baths are needed, if symptoms are still present?

Yes. You'll watch for heavy breathing and the patchy spottiness to return. If they do, then another bath and QT sterilization is in order.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Before I start this should I begin reducing the copper or can they go straight from the copper to the bath to the sterilized qt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Before I start this should I begin reducing the copper or can they go straight from the copper to the bath to the sterilized qt

No need to reduce the copper. They can go from full therapeutic to zero easy.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this seems never ending... I just went to check on the qt and I saw a white string of poop about 1.5" long hanging from my male clown. Is that an internal parasite? I don't know how this fits into my current plan or if it's even anything to worry about

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this seems never ending... I just went to check on the qt and I saw a white string of poop about 1.5" long hanging from my male clown. Is that an internal parasite? I don't know how this fits into my current plan or if it's even anything to worry about

That's intestinal worms. It will fit nicely into your current treatment plan. You'll not only dose metroplex into the tank, but feed it as well. You'll want to get Focus by Seachem to bind it to the food to be sure enough is getting into the gut to take care of the problem. The feeding will continue for a minimum of 10 days but may need to go longer since intestinal worms can be stubborn things.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. What is the best food to use? I've been feeding pellets and mysis.

Either will work. With pellets you will need to add a bit of RODI water to them to so they can soak up the meds. Just let it all soak for at least 20 minutes before feeding.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all of the help! It's truly a life saver! Everything that I need is coming tomorrow and sat. I'm going to mix and start heating water tomorrow. Then I'm thinking Saturday I'll move the fish to a bucket of tank water so I can clean the qt. After that I'll put them in the bath and be able to watch them the whole time. I don't know if thats too much catching and moving for the fish though. Another thing I'm not sure of is how many gallons the bath should be for 5 fish to be comfortable

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is back in the qt and doing great! I have to admit that doing this had me worried but there was absolutely nothing scary about it. I followed all of the great advice I got from melypr and it went smooth as can be. I really couldn't be more grateful! I dosed the metroplex and I'll see how it goes from here :)

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone will still view this thread but I wanted to give an update. Since the formalin bath a week ago and starting the metroplex (tank dose and feeding) my clowns have never looked better. I see no signs of anything now and everyone in the qt is doing well. I've also just added to my addiction by getting a 5g tank to qt any inverts. My fallow is over may 2nd and I'm not messing around anymore after going through all of this work! :)

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't blame you at all! Welcome to the club :)
Meredith I hope you're out there... So my fish are only supposed to have 2 more weeks in the qt and everything has been going really well until today. The 2 clowns have about 4 white spots on their body and what appears to be a wider spot or 2 on the edge of their bottom and tail fin. It's been a month since the formalin bath and ending the copper and 2 weeks since stopping the metro. I haven't seen a thing until today. Did I screw myself by setting up the coral/invert qt right next to them and transfer airborne ich or do I need another formalin bath? I am at a complete loss right now

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is back in the qt and doing great! I have to admit that doing this had me worried but there was absolutely nothing scary about it. I followed all of the great advice I got from melypr and it went smooth as can be. I really couldn't be more grateful! I dosed the metroplex and I'll see how it goes from here :)
Mel is fantastic, she makes our jobs easy sometimes, we sit back and like her comments while she fixes everyone's problems!

Glad it worked out well! :)

Back