trigger in reef

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Christmas island trigger can go in a reef tank? What other triggers can go in a reef tank?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Chistmas Island trigger, but If you are looking to spend that much money on a trigger you may want to look at the crosshatch, blue jaw, sargassum or pink tail. I wouldn't consider ANY completely reef safe, but the ones I listed are considered better than others.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I've seen the Crosshatch, bluethroat, sargassum, pinktail, and niger triggers listed as reef safe. Although they are regarded as reef safe, this is mainly in reference to corals. All triggers are prone to go after shrimp, hermits, and crabs.

OP
OP
Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I just think they are amazing fish and would really love to have one in my reef.

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cross hatch triggers in my reef. They were fine but I think the are my shrimp.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never trust a trigger in my reef tank!!! What kind of corals are you going to have?

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just had a crosshatch trigger in my tank. It never bothered my corals at all. BUT it bothered the HECK out of my anthias and my bellus angel. they had "tail trimming" so the next day he had to go! traded for a Declevis butterfly and it KO'd the next day. go figure! and i believe the christmas island trigger is a new species that is a planktivore. so it should be ok with corals but maybe not with fish!

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas island trigger isn't a bad option. No triggers are truly reef safe but if you feel that you have the skills to cope with the damage that it may possibly cause then I say go ahead. Bluejaw, crosshatch, pink tail, and sargassum are widely regarded as the best bets. Heck, I do all kinds of crazy things in my reef tank... angelfish, steene's pseudochromis, 25+ fish in a 120g tank, 10-12 of those are wrasses... the only difference is that I feel that my husbandry skills are up to the challenge and all of my risks are well calculated. Some have paid off and some haven't but I have learned something from every step!

jmaneyapanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering if people arent understanding what the Christmas Island trigger is. Its a Xanthichtys sp. trigger, related to the crosshatch, bluethroat, etc etc, and is planktivorous, like the other members of its genus. As mentioned, it appears to be in the process of being scientifically described as Xanthichthys kiritimati.

Xanthichthys-mento-x-Xanthichthys-lineopuncatus-.jpg

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Sargassum and a Pink tail. No issues with corals but my Wrasses do have bite marks on their backs, some times.

Aquascaper

Pro: Fish, Inverts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a reefer with long time experience with triggers in the reef tank- here is my list of "qualified risk" triggers-

NOTE: If a Trigger is old enough and has grown bad feeding habit's- it's NOT reef safe....

the List of reef choices:
1 Cross Hatch
2 Sargasm
3.Blue Jaw
4.Niger
5.Pinktail
6. Hawaiian Black

For the Experienced reefer:
7.Clown
8.Half moon
9.Blue belly
1o.Picasso

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my trigger is fine in my reef tank.he's kind of a bully but never pics at any coral.even my cleaner shromp is fine.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me and a local buddy has a Niger trigger in the reef. I don't keep shrimp and my trigger is small. I can remove him easy though. He sleeps in the front corner of the glass like a dead fish at night. LOL! Niger's are definitely not the pretty ones but still cool.

OP
OP
Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. All the info has really helped out. Who can I talk to to find a crosshatch?

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put an Indian trigger in my reef. It has thus far not bothered anything, fish, corals, or inverts.

0706102130a.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back