1. From time to time we get request from members wanting to do more to help R2R grow and looking for more ways to support our great community. Well we now have a way!

Click here to see how you can support R2R, get some awesome Reef Gear, and win $7200 in prizes!

trigger in reef

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Pizzapro83, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83 Well-Known Member

Do you think a Christmas island trigger can go in a reef tank? What other triggers can go in a reef tank?

2. Pizzapro83

Anyone????????

3. FishLipz

FishLipz Cheap and Easy Reefer

I don't have any experience with the Chistmas Island trigger, but If you are looking to spend that much money on a trigger you may want to look at the crosshatch, blue jaw, sargassum or pink tail. I wouldn't consider ANY completely reef safe, but the ones I listed are considered better than others.

4. swannyson7

swannyson7 Moderator/Acro Aficianado Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award CTARS Member

I know that I've seen the Crosshatch, bluethroat, sargassum, pinktail, and niger triggers listed as reef safe. Although they are regarded as reef safe, this is mainly in reference to corals. All triggers are prone to go after shrimp, hermits, and crabs.

5. Pizzapro83

Thanks for the info. I just think they are amazing fish and would really love to have one in my reef.

6. Cuda

Cuda Hunter

I had cross hatch triggers in my reef. They were fine but I think the are my shrimp.

7. Reefer831

Reefer831 Well-Known Member Photo of the Month Award

I would never trust a trigger in my reef tank!!! What kind of corals are you going to have?

8. secretreefer

secretreefer **MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST** Photo of the Month Award

i just had a crosshatch trigger in my tank. It never bothered my corals at all. BUT it bothered the HECK out of my anthias and my bellus angel. they had "tail trimming" so the next day he had to go! traded for a Declevis butterfly and it KO'd the next day. go figure! and i believe the christmas island trigger is a new species that is a planktivore. so it should be ok with corals but maybe not with fish!

9. jmaneyapanda

jmaneyapanda .

I have a christmas island trigger in my reef! No worries! Also, check glassbox. It appears it will soon be named.

10. jaytizzle

jaytizzle Fish Pro R2R Supporter

Christmas island trigger isn't a bad option. No triggers are truly reef safe but if you feel that you have the skills to cope with the damage that it may possibly cause then I say go ahead. Bluejaw, crosshatch, pink tail, and sargassum are widely regarded as the best bets. Heck, I do all kinds of crazy things in my reef tank... angelfish, steene's pseudochromis, 25+ fish in a 120g tank, 10-12 of those are wrasses... the only difference is that I feel that my husbandry skills are up to the challenge and all of my risks are well calculated. Some have paid off and some haven't but I have learned something from every step!

11. jmaneyapanda

jmaneyapanda .

Im wondering if people arent understanding what the Christmas Island trigger is. Its a Xanthichtys sp. trigger, related to the crosshatch, bluethroat, etc etc, and is planktivorous, like the other members of its genus. As mentioned, it appears to be in the process of being scientifically described as Xanthichthys kiritimati.

View attachment Xanthichthys-mento-x-Xanthichthys-lineopuncatus-.jpg

12. btkrausen

btkrausen Fish Hoarder R2R Excellence Award

I'm looking to add a pink tail to my reef very soon.

13. Murfman

Murfman Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I have had Sargassum and a Pink tail. No issues with corals but my Wrasses do have bite marks on their backs, some times.

14. Aquascaper

Aquascaper Pro: Fish, Inverts R2R Supporter

Being a reefer with long time experience with triggers in the reef tank- here is my list of "qualified risk" triggers-

NOTE: If a Trigger is old enough and has grown bad feeding habit's- it's NOT reef safe....

the List of reef choices:
    1 Cross Hatch
    2 Sargasm
    3.Blue Jaw
    4.Niger
    5.Pinktail
    6. Hawaiian Black

For the Experienced reefer:
    7.Clown
    8.Half moon
    9.Blue belly
    1o.Picasso

15. russell13

russell13 Member

my trigger is fine in my reef tank.he's kind of a bully but never pics at any coral.even my cleaner shromp is fine.

16. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member

Me and a local buddy has a Niger trigger in the reef. I don't keep shrimp and my trigger is small. I can remove him easy though. He sleeps in the front corner of the glass like a dead fish at night. LOL! Niger's are definitely not the pretty ones but still cool.

17. Pizzapro83

Thanks everyone. All the info has really helped out. Who can I talk to to find a crosshatch?

18. 110reef

110reef Well-Known Member

I recently put an Indian trigger in my reef. It has thus far not bothered anything, fish, corals, or inverts.

[​IMG]

19. eland

eland Active Member

Ken, thats an awesome trigger. Has he been a model citizen so far?

20. 110reef

110reef Well-Known Member

Still a great addition!