Triton calcium reactor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running a calcium reactor with triton media instead of liquid dosing?

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a guy in the UK who is running a calcium reactor and adjusting his traces with Triton trace base via regular ICP testing.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's interesting. I am running a calcium reactor and wanted to try Triton. Bit I didn't want to give up my reactor.

Maybe now I can go triton and use trace to adjust levels.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else tried Triton with a CaRx?
The reactor adds CA, ALK and other trace elements in balanced proportions so I would think you would just need the Triton elements that are not getting replenished by the CaRx?
I'm curious if this works just as well? Because I'm like the OP where I'm very fond of my CaRx and how easy it is to use. Not to mention, all that expensive equipment is paid for. ;)

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactors effect on water chemistry is only as good as the media it contains. Most CA media is aragonite (coral skeleton) so you will be dissolving mostly calcium carbonate plus a small amount of other major and minor ions. Dosing of other elements is still needed unless water changes are performed regularly to add these ions. The Destaco media which is Triton tested is 99% pure CaCo3 so you will absolutely need to dose other things if using this media. The Base Elementz are not intended to be used with a calcium reactor and we strongly advise against it. If you are having good results with the CA reactor then by all means consider sticking with it and supplement whats needed with the aid of ICP and hobby kit testing.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so with Triton there is no way to add just the elements missed by the CaRx?
What's ICP?

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly can add the elements that aren't replaced by running a ca reactor. Just don't use the base elementz set. This 4 part set is fully balanced and intended to used by itself independently of a ca reactor.

ICP stands for Inductively coupled plasma. It is the type of technology used to test samples of seawater sent to Triton.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the Triton water test. Got it.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tanks that run the DaStaCo reactor with the recommended DaStaCo2 media in there but not dosing any other Triton supplements with awesome results.
All parameters are spot on when the DaStaCo reactor is dialed in.
I myself placed a order by UA in Houston on the DaStaCo model A3 but was advised by a good friend of mine who installs large tanks and uses the DaStaCo only as a reactor that by the end of last year there was an error in shipping the wrong controllers with the wrong units out.
No biggie of course but now I put it on a hold as I might have to go for a bigger reactor as I'm planning a upgrade by the end of this year.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tanks that run the DaStaCo reactor with the recommended DaStaCo2 media in there but not dosing any other Triton supplements with awesome results.
All parameters are spot on when the DaStaCo reactor is dialed in.
I myself placed a order by UA in Houston on the DaStaCo model A3 but was advised by a good friend of mine who installs large tanks and uses the DaStaCo only as a reactor that by the end of last year there was an error in shipping the wrong controllers with the wrong units out.
No biggie of course but now I put it on a hold as I might have to go for a bigger reactor as I'm planning a upgrade by the end of this year.

Yea we had a silly issue with the controllers. Unique received a batch of reactors and controllers and on the outside the controllers all looked identical. The controllers were not paired with the reactors in the crates. Only after we shipped everything out did we realize that the controllers that mated up with the Extrema reactors had a small sticker on the side of them in the clear bags which were the only indication to let us know of this fact. Now we know! They really are a fantastic unit. The Destaco media really only is calcium carbonate so in time, without water changes, one should expect to see a drop in many of the other elements if no dosing is happening. For maintaining alk and calcium they are amazing though. Super pure, clean media.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @joefishUC .
I'm pretty sure I get one for the upgrade.

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a GEO Reef 510 CaRx and dose Triton elements I, Mn, V & Zn weekly based off of Triton test results. Plus do any other dosing recommendations they make.

How is the Triton DaStaCo2 Media vs AMS Pro Cal Media. @joefishUC if one uses either would we have to add a Mag media?

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great topic, I think doing a CA reactor and water tests will probably be the best easiest thing to do.

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of running my CaRx with the Core7 elements "other methods" with a large enough refugium for my 187.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this topic?

Reef Quest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceamo now do Reactor A and O to supply everything else your calcium reactor can't.
It's super economical too at just 0.5ml per 100l per day. Its also fully adjustable based on your Oceamo ICP-MS analysis

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product "Infusion" was designed for anyone using a Calcium reactor that wanted to run the full TRITON Method. The following calculator will give you the exact dose required based on your calcium reactors output:
Best used in conjunction with our calcium reactor media CaRX.
Watch this video from BRS for more information:

Back