tunze 9002 skimmer issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

my86iroc01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everytime my skimmer is turned off, it will not start without me taking it out of the tank and smacking the pump. Any ideas how to resolve the issue or would I need a new pump?

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cleaning the pump out? I love the 9002, it's one of my favorite skimmers. My pump burnt out on mine, but I kept the skimmer body in hopes to some day get it running again.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everytime my skimmer is turned off, it will not start without me taking it out of the tank and smacking the pump. Any ideas how to resolve the issue or would I need a new pump?
Take the pump apart and clean it. Tunze makes brushes for this reason. Clean the impellor and all the fittings including the small air line tubes where deposits build up and prevent air from being drawn into venture on the smaller models like the 9002. If necessary use a vinigar soak over night and the clean all the components. I just cleaned my before my two week vacation and it is working great.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the most likely culprit is the impeller is seized to the shaft it spins on by calcium deposits and has to drag the shaft, remove the impeller, remove the impeller form the metal shaft and clean everything and it should work normally again. Use 50/50 vinegar and water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back