Upgrading sps tank to 40breeder

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I loved my little 29g tank that started out as a "qt" but as time went by I found myself using my 20g for this and adding more and more livestock.

Well now it's getting a little crowded so I figured hey why not upgrade. So I seen petco was having a dollar per gallon sale and bought a 40 breeder for 40 bucks (not to bad:D).

I figured I'll go step by step on this build because I've never done it before and think it could be fun

OP
OP
thehammer1985

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first things first . Can't have a regular old 20150829_113153.jpg aquarium so I better drill this thing... well I know from in the past the bits I use like to walk on me . So I layer out all the holes and got my dremel out and started an easy guide bevel with a daimond bit.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40b are cool tanks think you're going to enjoy working with it. Keep the pics of building this system coming. Ours has been running cycled for about 4 months and been adding few things. Soon sticks will be added.

OP
OP
thehammer1985

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm super excited about it . I built the refugium 2 months ago for it but we had moved and had to get ready for the daughters 2nd bday party. So now that I have a free weekend I'm amped to get it started

OP
OP
thehammer1985

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve that tank is gorgeous. Your scolymia, sunset monti , wellso are amazing. Also I am very jealous from that maroon lightning those guys are awrsome. Lol I hope you don't mind but I may work off your aquascaping design for this tank. The layout is sweet. I don't mean to blow ya up but your tank is beautiful

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve that tank is gorgeous. Your scolymia, sunset monti , wellso are amazing. Also I am very jealous from that maroon lightning those guys are awrsome. Lol I hope you don't mind but I may work off your aquascaping design for this tank. The layout is sweet. I don't mean to blow ya up but your tank is beautiful
You're too kind and thank you. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Think the magnetic frag station on rear wall full of sticks will give a nice look. And it's why we share to help give ideas and help to one another. I'm glad it's helped with the creative juices flowing for your new scape. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. So keep pics coming.

OP
OP
thehammer1985

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also contemplating a magnetic frag rack especially for light acclimation.

Well here's some more...
The beginning of my internal calfo overflow. I don't wanna use acrylic incase it leaks past the "bond" on my glass tank but I'm still pretty bummed about being able to see the pvc as it go is into the overflow.
20150830_112820.jpg 20150830_121459.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back