Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 5 days since my copper level is at 2.00ppm. I understand the white spots are a residual affect after trophont have already fed... When should I stop seeing the white spots so I know if its working?

I'm still seeing white spots that I havent seen before so starting to get nervous but maybe this is part of the process...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 5 days since my copper level is at 2.00ppm. I understand the white spots are a residual affect after trophont have already fed... When should I stop seeing the white spots so I know if its working?

I'm still seeing white spots that I havent seen before so starting to get nervous but maybe this is part of the process...

I would give it a full week or so.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a full week or so.

I'm getting very very concerned :(... It's now day 6 of CopperSafe... I believe I'm still seeing new white spots on all the fish, and if not new, they are growing in size where they were not visible before. I double checked the copper levelers and if anything, its over 2.00PPM. I probably put in more than the recommended because spots kept coming and I was in doubt I had 2.00ppm cause the tests were hard to read. I've been using API test, and actually yestedray I checked with Salifert test and it also shows 2.00ppm.

All the fish are still eating except the regal, which stop eating around Thursday. The white spots are very small but a LOT, and very hard to see without viewing at an angle.

The expiration on my first CopperSafe bottle was 8/2017, not sure if that was a bad bottle. I did a 40% water change a few days ago and dosed using a new CopperSafe bottle that expires on 7/2018. I dosed the saltwater mix before putting it in the tank just to make sure the levels stayed that way. The water change was 18 gallons (suppose to dose with 4.5 teaspoons, but I gave it 5.5 teaspoons).

I have some CP shipping out today and I might get it on Thursday. When do I abandon CopperSafe and go with CP?

Basically, when should I not see new whitespots on the fish, and when should all the old whitespots disappear? The potters angel started scratching over the weekend and as of this morning, she's still scratching a lot. Should she be stop scratching now? How do I know CopperSafe is working?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arvind, I know this is from last year but have a question about your progress pic..

Your April 22nd pic looks like my potters angel and purple tang, and your April 26th looks like my Regal angel... But then on May 1st, all is better. Between April 22 and May 1 is 9 days.

When did you start your treatment, and was it CP or Copper? I'm on day 6 and not showing any improvement, getting nervous. Thanks!

Progress pictures can hopefully inspire and help others:

April 22:
_cVoMGNOaatila_KYHec5RXln_TxwiQhD-Td_Cg7Q6oLluE5jU8gpYyEbwpRpiUXS7XKhAXJpcwLXc154SWxU9eL0MU-Rsrr8JO0uCFTKyCXn5I7W6jyMsyxY9BspaS87IpNz5pUaQoS4PHsh9wzE7UaNF41vHOp3cBtkg1ybOIi5Tio5oQ4XbxhxjDLhploRGVjZth-JciH5u9DhcF74RF5qllWy5mbdW7BzKjiLlGQ4rcnskHJLWu9h5J4ud69f5DeOAExM9ZeKAHNYxf3JSJmHbClucTGgQFt5lwkVjjZyTSfad87WPl1uf-9PeybymG9MfovHJOzQ5XSGB-epgV4nRH7rd6JlJD2xji4HpDZ-dsMXiBy_sf6eMHcNZt20XlBmLNgoYoR9yFUYNI0bHQo5xES0rk6XH9__16QBXesJYEATtmKJS7duHnvxtaSG-3Q9evKzEDyyCeDPV-qK32iwFeVU9nRDI8qDcdbrMspREzXiPxxII4vklH4YHvWEeXezSWeVpdba4rU11I0L3P6lsl8Z55soqbYHrnx4TkM3MFTD-n0gc66vES4yAxaFp-TOw=w1779-h979-no

April 26:

Wg0H8-EWddNijPRaUsHinWFbmqKuh9SgEmxT84LdIttOErgeCbdZyC7JQbkPE8ZmoLGyh4QUmV0z5Dicsh-oSnznb3RaPpiuZS-NLTc-uIutEiSfZUxeSQaDTesQrdi-re1eIABoEKnUIpBQMRI3sbQn8ijlK4zYORrsRD-XnRe5l0Sd90JdAnjGQydnace6f3tWLo4FnG4JLeXtez7YRqT7DqokszEVHgjfETcHKKoNkC5DvvRcucvbGLUoJ12uXMYpbC9n_chRh0ce2s4RS9Own2EYrHLeuqMHb-NZUZXtZYk7RVBgFuFzgz9JryAhuWgZ8lWeAp0Of0d4SfBHQ0IzDD8m_jUOkJOVfxpQTfFNMB85n4ou8yYjWGPPxBUZzqnl-wqDCJdqVoUs7KCUV8PWcC5Z7ltf969f7GqXtPkm3qVaEb29RpAQJh9YO3uyRHu_QWTKy7sXjhSxAAa3Pfe9QfdBdfSglioJu4McwLJ33WPORHzoDk7UHQVlUmw-X-qT1m78GfEVl3SZVg-yPNZ_LGCKo_W4vS9KRtgXNOKMIXXJsGR2koXviu8G5HcnRi1hJw=w1197-h979-no

May 1:

JR1sHfy_Rw2e07W4B3Oag8CIe2nBe5kdqifrx1SbArZpm1QNK2BIbVOvtAnon9SkxCJ7mDPVZRGG7lJBzTCvnVPqnr48AQIk3TX_WDoTVLM8qyphXAaCsO-kAyMwirfN_BXXwwFfDrjQXz1TZ5veLTXtPrbghsoqGHzixF94gOOP2Pnaed38lF7AVokWh3zMzX0KM4Uc6yKW6SY7yTWrWq6qpJjSm2FLw7eJ0pdBdS-3Ftr5n6aLaShUQWD3Ci_jWAINRS8R3EA7dYebCw_MAe6T6c_RiyCY-DM803M0jwrwQxqfWsCEeyUF4_oNpWIDOgyUyIcFRq5LGPkWSFqi-M7s6vOr8NskZE0qncYXp_Hw7V6bj4fjobXPvSlqCQ9QrxechGjrL_AL_2XIHuOLSnuO8HpbcnSp7t33_8OHlW12ENW6VWBwZSAidZS6LeXoteArxvRP2FrwNbLKyW9rDJGeQsHyJ6XMZWg5oz7bPeDmjCiWr4CY87qanXtYrVN_HBAwffkQBCUfUzN2ngogpEeFVPYFyajmw-dV0PlkUamdT0hogO11_Y-yOtpchPFDLaCn7A=w1061-h943-no

Thank you everyone for the coaching:). Could not have done without this forum.

A follow up question. There is still a tiny scratch like thing above his right eye. It is visible in the picture. Will it go away eventually?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some CP shipping out today and I might get it on Thursday. When do I abandon CopperSafe and go with CP?

Basically, when should I not see new whitespots on the fish, and when should all the old whitespots disappear? The potters angel started scratching over the weekend and as of this morning, she's still scratching a lot. Should she be stop scratching now? How do I know CopperSafe is working?

If you're still seeing white spots come Thursday, then I would go ahead & switch over to CP. Since it will have been 8 days in copper by that point.

The longest ich trophonts can remain on a fish is 7 days, so once copper reaches therapeutic (and remains therapeutic) you shouldn't see anymore white spots after 8 days. (I threw an extra day in just in case.)

Can you post new photos of your fish showing the white spots? Maybe what you're seeing is Lympho, flukes or something else other than ich or velvet...

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're still seeing white spots come Thursday, then I would go ahead & switch over to CP. Since it will have been 8 days in copper by that point.

The longest ich trophonts can remain on a fish is 7 days, so once copper reaches therapeutic (and remains therapeutic) you shouldn't see anymore white spots after 8 days. (I threw an extra day in just in case.)

Can you post new photos of your fish showing the white spots? Maybe what you're seeing is Lympho, flukes or something else other than ich or velvet...

I'll try to get some pics at lunch time.. But basically they appear exactly like arvind's sailfin tang fish posted in this thread. EXACTLY.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get some pics at lunch time.. But basically they appear exactly like arvind's sailfin tang fish posted in this thread. EXACTLY.

That's velvet.

However, it's possible your fish have both ich & velvet. Which might explain why you're still seeing white spots.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's velvet.

However, it's possible your fish have both ich & velvet. Which might explain why you're still seeing white spots.

These are the ones that I could get good pics of.. the PT and potters angel is too hard to see from the camera because it requires looking at a certain angle. Velvet, right?

Two clownfish:

DSC_6039.jpg

Another clownfish (I have two sets):

DSC_6050.jpg

The regal (not so many white spots visible via camera but they're there, faint).. His gill and skin by the eyes seems red, probably sores:

DSC_6059.jpg

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have metroplex but I do have rally. Could do daily baths in rally and put back in copper tank.

But those white dots on the first two clowns are distinct white dots. The brook pictures look more like mucus and skin peeling, which these fish don't seem to have.

Would daily rally baths help regardless, break & velvet?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have metroplex but I do have rally. Could do daily baths in rally and put back in copper tank.

But those white dots on the first two clowns are distinct white dots. The brook pictures look more like mucus and skin peeling, which these fish don't seem to have.

Would daily rally baths help regardless, break & velvet?

I just remembered you have CP coming. :rolleyes: That treats ich, velvet, brook, uronema. A Rally bath might help though until the CP arrives.

The thing about brook is it often starts out looking like fine little white dots, but then quickly transforms into peeling skin & larger white mucous spots. I think copper is preventing that from happening, but not completely knocking it out.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks a lot humble!

My game plan is going to be to do a rally bath tonight, and wait until CP comes. If by that time, white spots still on the fish, I will do a 100% water change and start CP.

I could see why this kind of stuff makes people quit the hobby...

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it really is brook, is this as devastating as velvet? Will my fish make it? It's officially been 2 weeks since the regal started scratching, and about 9 days since the first white spots appeared on the regal and PT.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it really is brook, is this as devastating as velvet? Will my fish make it? It's officially been 2 weeks since the regal started scratching, and about 9 days since the first white spots appeared on the regal and PT.

Velvet is typically considered "worse" than brook. But brook can kill fast too. Both are in a whole different league than just having ich.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If after doing a fw dip or rally bath, and I notice most the white spots are gone, does that mean it more likely brook.

I remember doing the first fw dip on the PT and regal 8 days ago and most the white spots had cleared up immediately afterwards. Same thing after the rally bath a few days ago.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If after doing a fw dip or rally bath, and I notice most the white spots are gone, does that mean it more likely brook.

I remember doing the first fw dip on the PT and regal 8 days ago and most the white spots had cleared up immediately afterwards. Same thing after the rally bath a few days ago.

If the white spots mostly clear following a FW dip and/or acriflavine (or formalin) bath; that highly suggests brook over velvet.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the white spots mostly clear following a FW dip and/or acriflavine (or formalin) bath; that highly suggests brook over velvet.
So i take it white spots should not fall off at all with Velvet?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i take it white spots should not fall off at all with Velvet?

IME; they will still be present if a fish has velvet. When performing a FW dip; I think most of the "clearing out" happens inside the gills when a fish has velvet.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question for the day :)

I think I can pick up metroplex.. Do you think I could dose metroplex into the coppersafe HT and see how that goes, until the CP gets here... I just read more about metro and seems like it helps velvet and could help brook.. Just dont want to mix too many meds and have the fish die becauese of that.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can pick up metroplex.. Do you think I could dose metroplex into the coppersafe HT and see how that goes, until the CP gets here... I just read more about metro and seems like it helps velvet and could help brook.. Just dont want to mix too many meds and have the fish die becauese of that.

IME; Metro + copper does the same job as CP. However, dumping more than one med on a fish at a time compounds side effects.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back