Versa, Apex and an AWC

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was about to purchase the DOS for the AWC but held off for the VERSA for a few reasons (quieter, high capacity). Now its time to setup the Versa on my Apex. My sump is able to accommodate a 1 gallon drop without any issues. So I thought I would have the Apex take out dirty salt water and then add new salt water. 1% a day with 1 gallon at 12:00 PM and 1 gallon at 12:00 AM.

Setup Versa in manual at 150 mL/min
- Apex would would first turn off ATO (turn off pump and solenoid)
- Apex would energize Versa 1 to remove 1 gallon of old salt water then off
- Apex would then energizer Versa 2 to add 1 gallon of new salt water then off
- Apex would turn back on ATO (ATO has other safeties built in such as mechanical float and pump run time and amount of times running per day)

Safeties include:

- A low level switch in sump to protect level in sump
- Low Amps on return pump (low level leading to low flow leading to low power draw)
- High level switch shutting in sump off all liquid inputs into system.
- Versa pumps are located above containers with an air break to prevent siphoning (if something were to break).
- In addition the old salt water out tube end is above my pump suction to prevent it from removing all the water out of the sump if something went wrong.
- Also could use the salinity probe but really don't trust it much further then I can through it (using it for total ATO failure only and trending).
- The only other thought would be to add another float switch for the new salt water into the sump.
- Also may need to add a low level sensor in my salt mixing station.

Do most folks remove and add at the same time? Anyone take out old water then add new? Versa pumps arrive today so haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

Thoughts?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Versa needs to have power 24/7, I think. Timing how long it takes to add 1 gallon when in manual mode sounds like a bad idea to me...... It would operate infinitely if there was an issue. I also am not sure if it needs additional user input or not to resume that rate- will it try to catch up? Etc.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do most folks remove and add at the same time? Anyone take out old water then add new?

You can do it either way. I think most people do the former so you don't have to mess with the ATO programming. I would think if you have an apex that the DOS would have been the better option, even though it is noisier.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it either way. I think most people do the former so you don't have to mess with the ATO programming. I would think if you have an apex that the DOS would have been the better option, even though it is noisier.

New build in the living room and the wife keeps asking if it will be quiet.......:rolleyes: I read a lot of complaints on the noise. Yes programing would have been way easier.

Made a big assumption the Versa holds it parameters when powered on/off. Might need to find another use.......:eek:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build in the living room and the wife keeps asking if it will be quiet.......:rolleyes: I read a lot of complaints on the noise. Yes programing would have been way easier.

Made a big assumption the Versa holds it parameters when powered on/off. Might need to find another use.......:eek:

you can put the DOS near your reservoirs rather than near the display tank. I doubt the slight noise would matter in that location?

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can put the DOS near your reservoirs rather than near the display tank. I doubt the slight noise would matter in that location?

The reservoirs sit in the mud room behind the living room wall and under a bedroom. Oddly enough the builder put insulation in that inner wall but doesn’t help with the noise (but maybe at night not an issue). Hppefully down the road I will move the mixing station to the basement.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run awc with my versa's and have them set up to run constantly at 13.2 ml/min. taking old salt water near the drain side of the sump, adding new salt near the return.

Your initial plan of using the apex can work, although I would be cautious for the simple fact that start up time varies based on energizing the versa power supply, meaning one versa can be on for a split second longer than the other. In the long run, depending on which one runs longer, each complete event of removing, then adding sw will eventually increase or decrease tank salinity. I know that we're only talking 1 or 2 drips per event, but it can add up.

Food for thought, I guess one can argue that the skimmer would alter salinity more than your initial plan.

Either way, if it were me, I would keep it simple and have them run continuously and not worry about turning off the ATO.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run awc with my versa's and have them set up to run constantly at 13.2 ml/min. taking old salt water near the drain side of the sump, adding new salt near the return.

Your initial plan of using the apex can work, although I would be cautious for the simple fact that start up time varies based on energizing the versa power supply, meaning one versa can be on for a split second longer than the other. In the long run, depending on which one runs longer, each complete event of removing, then adding sw will eventually increase or decrease tank salinity. I know that we're only talking 1 or 2 drips per event, but it can add up.

Food for thought, I guess one can argue that the skimmer would alter salinity more than your initial plan.

Either way, if it were me, I would keep it simple and have them run continuously and not worry about turning off the ATO.

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind and rethink the setup. KISS, keep it simple......

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having thought about it more, in order to utilize the accuracy of the Versa's, you don't need apex to turn them on and off, you can use the Mobius programming to have each pump dose at offset intervals. and program your apex to simply turn off the ATO during that time period.

Keep the Versa's plugged into the Apex and "Set ON" "If 'WaterLo' OPEN Then OFF" so that they can shut off with your level sensors.

example:
program the Apex to shut off the ATO from 0900-1000
program Versa A to remove 1 gallon from 0900-0930
program Versa B to add 1 gallon from 0930-1000

If the low level sensor triggers an alarm have the Versa's shut off accordingly.

OP
OP
Big C

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having thought about it more, in order to utilize the accuracy of the Versa's, you don't need apex to turn them on and off, you can use the Mobius programming to have each pump dose at offset intervals. and program your apex to simply turn off the ATO during that time period.

Keep the Versa's plugged into the Apex and "Set ON" "If 'WaterLo' OPEN Then OFF" so that they can shut off with your level sensors.

example:
program the Apex to shut off the ATO from 0900-1000
program Versa A to remove 1 gallon from 0900-0930
program Versa B to add 1 gallon from 0930-1000

If the low level sensor triggers an alarm have the Versa's shut off accordingly.

I thought about that as well. With my slow makeup rate of the ATO i can leave a pretty big window to have it off not upset the system much. Just was looking for the most efficient way to AWC.

Thanks again.

Hope to play with the Versa's tonight, my BRS order came in today :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back