OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you bother to up the PH at all? I have in the past. Most did not lose mobility.

Do you do it on all species of wrasses? I avoided it with some.

Mostly, I never bother with the PH simply because it's 5 minutes. At most I'll splash a little saltwater in the container to help with buffering. I have dipped wrasses many times along with butterflies, tangs, clowns, angels... well the list goes on :) With wrasses you have to be sure the container is covered. I usually just fit a net over the top nice and tight so if the fish jumps, it won't hurt him.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will only work like shown for flukes. A freshwater dip is helpful for the other diseases listed to clear out the gills of excess mucus that builds up when a parasite is in the gills. That mucus effectively suffocates the fish before the parasite can kill them. A freshwater dip can clear that out and buy you time to get the treatment set up and working.

A freshwater dip will not help with Ich...?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the trophonts are too deeply embedded to be impacted.

+1 the only thing it would accomplish is possibly flushing out the excess mucus build up in the gills allowing the fish to breathe better.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any types of fish that don't tolerate FW dips well?

I haven't dipped every kind of fish out there, but I've done 100's of dips and, as yet, no one species has shown less tolerance of it than another.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that something you can do to any new fish? Or just ones that have suspected parasites?

Because we can't always SEE what's on a fish, it is an excellent way to check. You just might be surprised with what falls off! And as you saw in the video, it doesn't hurt the fish at all. They just like to play dead sometimes. 5 minutes maximum. Unless they totally, totally freak out, then cut the dip short.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 the only thing it would accomplish is possibly flushing out the excess mucus build up in the gills allowing the fish to breathe better.

Well, that goes against everything I have heard over the years...

Just Google - freshwater dip for ich - and there are a ton of articles, some by by marine biologists with Ph. D's, saying that freshwater dips do help with ich.

So, I am, understandably, confused.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Google - freshwater dip for ich - and there are a ton of articles, some by by marine biologists with Ph. D's, saying that freshwater dips do help with ich.

Can you provide some links? There are tons of misinformation out there from seemingly reputable sources. I only consider information "solid" if it comes from a peer reviewed study or article found on Google Scholar.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some links? There are tons of misinformation out there from seemingly reputable sources. I only consider information "solid" if it comes from a peer reviewed study or article found on Google Scholar.

What about hypo salinity long term? Meaning a couple of weeks? To eradicate ich? Let's say in a FOWLR setup?

Weeble10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! That was super informative and seeing it done lessens my apprehension to give it a try....feared I would be doing more harm than good.

Do you ever add any medication to the dip?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! That was super informative and seeing it done lessens my apprehension to give it a try....feared I would be doing more harm than good.

I don't think a dip is really long enough for medications to work effectively. You can certainly medicate a "bath" though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about hypo salinity long term? Meaning a couple of weeks? To eradicate ich? Let's say in a FOWLR setup?

1.009 SG will kill most strains of ich, but you need to treat for at least 4 weeks. Hypo only targets the free swimming theront stage, same as copper.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because we can't always SEE what's on a fish, it is an excellent way to check. You just might be surprised with what falls off! And as you saw in the video, it doesn't hurt the fish at all. They just like to play dead sometimes. 5 minutes maximum. Unless they totally, totally freak out, then cut the dip short.
I wonder if it would help with ich

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 5 min time a staple or is is due to the size of the fish?

5 minutes every time. Size of the fish doesn't matter.

I haven't added medication to a freshwater dip. I find it's too short of a time span to accomplish much with a medication.
I wonder if it would help with ich

The only thing it would accomplish for ich is to flush out the gills some where excess mucus can build up due to the parasite. It can buy time for proper treatment to be started.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back