Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my vit c has arrived and i aim for 5ppm right now. I dont have a scale so about how much of a teaspoon should i add to my 22 gallon? I computed a figure of around 350 mg.
Thanks
Chris

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my vit c has arrived and i aim for 5ppm right now. I dont have a scale so about how much of a teaspoon should i add to my 22 gallon? I computed a figure of around 350 mg.
Thanks
Chris

Should say on the container how many mg of VC are in so much powder. Mine lists it in teaspoons

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before (almost lost these, just like all the rest):
SickBlues.jpg

After--8 weeks later (note all the new polyps below the larger ones):
TubbsBlues.jpg

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also treated my tank with the buffered Vitamin C and saw good results on my unhealthy zoas, but even with the buffered C I found that I had trouble keeping my pH up in my 14g Biocube. I tried both the VC buffered with calcium and with sodium and found that both caused my pH to swing too much even with smaller doses to continue use. I saw that yall are using it in a larger system, but was wondering if anyone has been using it in a nano tank? I have to say that the treatment does wonders for your zoas.

fragjunkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some of that buffered stuff and added 1/4 teaspoon to a cup of water and mixed. After adding it to my tank my SPS started sliming up. Anyone else have this experience. I hope it's not bad because I have over 5000 in SPS in there.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine haven't slimed at all & are growing colored tips I didn't know they even had. Please give me a little info on how you are dosing? Are you starting at 5ppm?

fragjunkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sliming went away. I dosed 1/4 teaspoon of the buffered VC into my 110g total water volume. I think according to the bottle that's about 1200mg.

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, i have been following the VC thread for sometime. finally got myself to try it today.

i am from singapore (S-E asia). and i can't get any VC in powder form. so, i bought Buffered C-1000. it is in tablet/pill form. in each tablet, it contains:

Vitamin C = 1000mg - 1752%
Calcium = 110g - 11%.

this product is calcium ascorbate (only pure VC with buffered i can find it here)

i started dosing 5ppm in my 100g mix-reef tank (80% zao). so, should i remain in this dosing for few weeks or should i increase 15ppm on day 2, 30ppm on day 3 and 50ppm on day 5 and remain dosing 50ppm for next 10-30 days?

some of my zao colonies are not doing good (turned brown). hope that with VC dosing, it can revives those colonies :D

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may add is as quickly as you have listed in your post. Please take some "before" pics. I think you will be very happy with the results. Keep us posted!

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i started with 5ppm (100g), my deltec skimmer still skimming well. when i increased the dosing to 10ppm, i got to stop my skimmer for almost 1/2 day. my skimmer went "crazy" and overflow with a lot of tank water.

has anyone got such problem?

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i started with 5ppm (100g), my deltec skimmer still skimming well. when i increased the dosing to 10ppm, i got to stop my skimmer for almost 1/2 day. my skimmer went "crazy" and overflow with a lot of tank water.

has anyone got such problem?

I did when I used pills, which I believe had filler in them that made the skimmer go nuts. Are you using pure powder or pills?

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did when I used pills, which I believe had filler in them that made the skimmer go nuts. Are you using pure powder or pills?

i can't get any pure powder here in this part of the world. i am using the pill type (which claimed is the pure VC tablet).

now, i dump the pills in the middle compartment of the sump and they melt down much slower. skimmer don't go nuts now.

it is normal to have the tank look a little cloudy when dose?

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't get any pure powder here in this part of the world. i am using the pill type (which claimed is the pure VC tablet).

now, i dump the pills in the middle compartment of the sump and they melt down much slower. skimmer don't go nuts now.

it is normal to have the tank look a little cloudy when dose?

Mine has looked cloudy as well and I'm trying to figure out why/how long it lasts. I swear the last time I dosed (before I stopped for a few weeks) it cleared up, but I don't remember exactly when.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back