Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has looked cloudy as well and I'm trying to figure out why/how long it lasts. I swear the last time I dosed (before I stopped for a few weeks) it cleared up, but I don't remember exactly when.

the cloudy only last for few hours when the VC chemistry reacted in the tank water. my orp reading drop as well. once the VC pills dissolved, orp reading goes up, the cloudiness disappear. and the water is much clearer :)

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using the pills, we don't really know what's in them. My skimmer is still skimming great (I was going to mod it). I just dropped the over flow tube lower. I'm using about 9,000mg (2tsp) in my 100g tank now, 2x/day. Never had any cloudiness.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

Be sure your pH is around 8.2 & your alk is around 9-10, before you start. Keep an eye on both (I test weekly, now that I notice no changes).

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i managed to get hold of GNC VC crystals - buffered with calcium ascorbate.

dose 1/2 tsp (2000mg). and there is no cloudiness in the tank water :D

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ya go!

Darn, all the folks I have been referring to I-herb for VC & I just found out I can be getting discounts for myself & you guys for the next year, by giving out my referal code: LUL789

So if you're ordering or reordering, please use that referal code--it might not be too late!

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read pufferepunk's tread for a while and trying to get the VC raw form but unable. Gonna try GNC tomorrow. Thanks for the tips kiddboy

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Malaysia. I just check out with GNC and they dont carry VC powder form here. I will have to mail order from Singapore. But since I cant wait to try, I bought the VC capsule type. Each capsule contains 500mg VC. The ingredients says Calcium carbonate and Magnesium Oxide to bufferand reduce natural acidity of VC.BRAND: SOLARAYTYPE: SUPA BIO-C500MG/CAPSULESo, for my 200G tank, I intend to put 4 capsule (2000mg)/day. I will take the before picture and post later)

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Malaysia. I just check out with GNC and they dont carry VC powder form here. I will have to mail order from Singapore. But since I cant wait to try, I bought the VC capsule type. Each capsule contains 500mg VC. The ingredients says Calcium carbonate and Magnesium Oxide to bufferand reduce natural acidity of VC.BRAND: SOLARAYTYPE: SUPA BIO-C500MG/CAPSULESo, for my 200G tank, I intend to put 4 capsule (2000mg)/day. I will take the before picture and post later)

hey, you are most welcome ;)

anyway, i realized that asians do not like to take powder form of VC. that is why we find it difficult to get it here. in fact, GNC is very expensive here. so, i wanna find other alternate brand. anyway, when you use the capsule form, is there cloudiness in your tank water? your skimmer goes "crazy"?

Last edited:

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I open up the capsules (4 caps-500mg) and stir them in RO water before dosing into sump.

I paid about USD15.00 for 100 capsules. There is no cloudiness nor crazy skimmate. Infact, the difference was my Supersun open bigger after the dosing...

Yet to monitor Zoas progress.

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, there are a little cloudiness, but its due to VC particles. It only lasted for about 1 hour, then the tank is all cleared up. Skimmer seemed to be running fine without puking any extras...

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been quite cloudy now for about 2 weeks :). Ca/Alk are fine though, but the slime caused by the algae/whatever else die off is still collecting in the corners.

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, there are a little cloudiness, but its due to VC particles. It only lasted for about 1 hour, then the tank is all cleared up. Skimmer seemed to be running fine without puking any extras...

There is no extra skimmate coz i mix the VC into a one liter bottle and slow drip into the sump.

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the before pictures of my zoas and a colony of supersun.

Last edited:

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began to notice my skimmer is building up more light green gunk, most probably VC. Shud I off skimmer for 1-2hours after dosing VC?

kiddboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey peter, how long you take to drip your VC mix with RO/DI water?

i tried the pill type for dripping method. there is not cloudliness and skimmer skim much normal (not as crazy as before). it took almost 12hrs to complete the drip. 1 drip/4-5 sec.

just wonder, with such a long time to drip the VC mix with RO/DI water into the tank, does it loss the the effect of the VC? the orp reading did drop a little when it was dripping.

i mixed it in the (DIY) small container with cover.

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my drip to about 1drip/sec. It finished dripping 1 liter in a couple hours or slightly more. Water is not cloudy but my skimmer is skimming those valuable VC out. I notice some light green gunk as skimmate, so i off my skimmer for 2 hours after dosing the VC.

Its been about 9 days already dosing the VC, the zoas looks happy and extended.

Aquadiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question -- what happens if you were to suddenly stop dosing the VC?

I'm not really getting the underlying chemical reaction that is going on. I've seem some references to carbon dosing (as in sugar, vodka, etc.), but not sure if it's the same type of reaction.

I've tended to shy away from these "daily dosings" only because if I'm away for a week or so, I don't want a sudden crash from the lack of VC.

??:confused:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back