Wall Hammer care

ReefTalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I've been told that it is very hard to keep wall hammers alive. They told me you only buy them like if you were renting them only to make your tank to look cool for a while. While live Aquaria states that it's modorate just like the branching Hammer that also says it's medorate to keep. So what is really the truth here? Anyone have any experience with wall hammers.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they survive shipping, they are as hardy as any other euphyllia. mine like med light/flow.

FB_IMG_1465014148908_zpsml3vilgv.jpg

OP
OP
ReefTalk

ReefTalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0055.JPG
I haven't had any problem with mine
My branching Hammer corals aren't doing so well , because I think my calcium is to high , like at 520, but getting a Salifert test kit to know for sure , I don't like the API test kits.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for over 5 hrs. Got as big as a basketball. Fraged it with a hammer and chisel. Had my son video tape the beating I had to give it to break it down. Did not lose a single frag. Even a number of the "chips" that had polyps on them grew back out. Sold most of the frags to a LFS. $$

After that, I'd have to say the green wall hammer I have is very hardy. IME, tanks seem to have affinities for certain corals. I guess mine is for Euphyllia sp. including torch coral.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see that video!

I've had mine for over 5 hrs. Got as big as a basketball. Fraged it with a hammer and chisel. Had my son video tape the beating I had to give it to break it down. Did not lose a single frag. Even a number of the "chips" that had polyps on them grew back out. Sold most of the frags to a LFS. $$

After that, I'd have to say the green wall hammer I have is very hardy. IME, tanks seem to have affinities for certain corals. I guess mine is for Euphyllia sp. including torch coral.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is uploading to YouTube: [LINK] It's uploading now (will likely have to render) and should be available in the morning. It's been a long day and I need to hit the hay. Video should be viewable in the morn.

What you'll see:
  1. It's large (12-18 inches)
  2. It almost did not fit through the top of the tank.
  3. A Dremmel was used to score the beast (note safety glasses, but I guess I was not wearing respirator - - bad example)
  4. A hammer and chisel were used to separate the frags
  5. Through the clear tub, you see me dip the frag in a small tan tub of iodine water

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefTalk

ReefTalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is uploading to YouTube: [LINK] It's uploading now (will likely have to render) and should be available in the morning. It's been a long day and I need to hit the hay. Video should be viewable in the morn.

What you'll see:
  1. It's large (12-18 inches)
  2. It almost did not fit through the top of the tank.
  3. A Dremmel was used to score the beast (note safety glasses, but I guess I was not wearing respirator - - bad example)
  4. A hammer and chisel were used to separate the frags
  5. Through the clear tub, you see me dip the frag in a small tan tub of iodine water

You have so much , send me a small frag for free LOL, man that thing looks nice.

varela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
è um lindo coral, tenho de tochas, agora pretendo adiciconar um de ssso tbm. Tbm acrdito que o transporte é oque mais destroi o coral.

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two wall hammers locally yesterday and I noticed this today:

IMG_4135.JPG.jpeg

It's been like that since the acclimation process. Either I did something wrong or it got injured on the way back home. Will this heal?

I keep reading that wall hammers always die and it always starts off like mine in the picture with the skeleton showing. That concerns me. Why do wall hammers have such a high mortality rate? What is so different about them?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back