Want to use glass-holes in and out overflow with pvc instead of flexible tubing. Need help!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on buying the glass-holes overflow and return but want to use pvc instead of flexible hose. Has anyone done this? I need to come up with a shopping list of parts I'll need to set it up this way. So far I have this:

Pvc pipe: blue from bulk reef supply
Fittings: white or gray
45 degree elbow pipe for overflow
45 degree elbow pipe for return

I've read up on plumbing but this is my first diy plumbing project. Should I use a little flexible tubing coming out of the return pump to decrease vibration? If so, what kind of fitting is needed to attach it to the pvc return pipe? Should I glue or buy fittings that can be unscrewed (or a combination of both). I research everything like crazy before I try something new, so your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went rigid all the way. You can find all the pipe and fittings you need at HD or Lowes.....I'm sure less than BRS sells it for. I'll look for pictures of mine and get back to you.....in a moment.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went rigid all the way. You can find all the pipe and fittings you need at HD or Lowes.....I'm sure less than BRS sells it for. I'll look for pictures of mine and get back to you.....in a moment.
Thanks. I like the pvc look better. Does Home Depot have colored pvc?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol - plumbing is, oh, so much fun! I suggest home depot and get 3x more than you think you need and return the extra (if there is any extra). Get all slip (glue) fittings. For the pump, probably will be a screw-on threaded to barbed fitting and then flexible hose to the next fitting which will be barbed to slip. Bring the output piece with you to home depot to match up the threads.

Oh get all schedule 40.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
......... Does Home Depot have colored pvc?

Yes, it's called white. :D

Here's the back of my tank.....1500 gph Glass-Holes. Note I did not use their return kit....it wasn't available when I did mine....I went over the top of the tank.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's called white. :D

Here's the back of my tank.....1500 gph Glass-Holes. Note I did not use their return kit....it wasn't available when I did mine....I went over the top of the tank.

Ha ha. I just love the blue pvc that brs has. That with white or gray fittings against the white inside of the cabinet would look supercool. I can't splurge on everything but want that blue pipe! So what fittings am I looking at here?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should the return section at the top (the nozzle) be above the waterline? I'm concerned about a syphon if it's not. Also, wouldn't it aerate better if the water splashed a little?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always paint it.....that's what I did with the pipe coming over the top of the tank.....0.98 cent flat black spray paint for HD....and it still looks new after nine years.

How you want to twist and turn your pipe will determine the fittings. I would suggest throwing in unions just in case you need to take it apart.

I apologize if this in known, but here's what needs to be done with gluing up PVC. Clean both the pipe and fitting with PVC cleaner. If you want "pretty," and it's not going to be painted, get the clear....might have to look for it. The purple is for inspectors to know you've used it. With the cement, also coat both pipe and fitting. Now quickly push the two together and give it a quarter twist. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Done! If alignment is important, use a sharpie to put line-up lines on both the fitting and the pipe. Make sure to line these up when you give it a twist. Hope this helps.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should the return section at the top (the nozzle) be above the waterline? I'm concerned about a syphon if it's not. Also, wouldn't it aerate better if the water splashed a little?

That's the one thing I could never understand with the drilled return lines from Glass-Holes. You either need to have the room in your sump for the siphon-back, or put in a siphon break, or get the return portion up at the surface of the water. My Loc-Line is actually out of the water all together.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are relying on BRS for everything you need because you want colored PVC, you are setting yourself up for heartache and failure. You just need too many parts to get it from them. You should get like 10 45s, 10 90s, 10 feet of PVC straight, 2 unions for each return and each drain, ball valves, gate valves, barbed fittings, flexible hose, etc. Just too much to get custom PVC online and then be short, or have to cut something out and be short, then have to order and wait for delivery. Not to mention return postage for uneeded parts. The plumbing is great but I don't think I would limit yourself to one source just to look cool. The hardware for your setup is part of the system and some of it is visible, but at the end of the day, the livestock is what is important.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are relying on BRS for everything you need because you want colored PVC, you are setting yourself up for heartache and failure. You just need too many parts to get it from them. You should get like 10 45s, 10 90s, 10 feet of PVC straight, 2 unions for each return and each drain, ball valves, gate valves, barbed fittings, flexible hose, etc. Just too much to get custom PVC online and then be short, or have to cut something out and be short, then have to order and wait for delivery. Not to mention return postage for uneeded parts. The plumbing is great but I don't think I would limit yourself to one source just to look cool. The hardware for your setup is part of the system and some of it is visible, but at the end of the day, the livestock is what is important.
Good advice. I plan on buying everything else locally (fittings, valves, etc) because it would be cheaper. And I could always paint the white pvc. BRS is good for specialty stuff but for regular stuff I go to the hardware store. Can you explain why I'd need so many fittings for a simple overflow and return? I'm a novice here so your advice will really help!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always paint it.....that's what I did with the pipe coming over the top of the tank.....0.98 cent flat black spray paint for HD....and it still looks new after nine years.

How you want to twist and turn your pipe will determine the fittings. I would suggest throwing in unions just in case you need to take it apart.

I apologize if this in known, but here's what needs to be done with gluing up PVC. Clean both the pipe and fitting with PVC cleaner. If you want "pretty," and it's not going to be painted, get the clear....might have to look for it. The purple is for inspectors to know you've used it. With the cement, also coat both pipe and fitting. Now quickly push the two together and give it a quarter twist. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Done! If alignment is important, use a sharpie to put line-up lines on both the fitting and the pipe. Make sure to line these up when you give it a twist. Hope this helps.
Is krylon paint safe for a reef tank?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may sound silly to some, but the appearance of my sump area is super important to me. I want it to be very functional and good looking.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one thing I could never understand with the drilled return lines from Glass-Holes. You either need to have the room in your sump for the siphon-back, or put in a siphon break, or get the return portion up at the surface of the water. My Loc-Line is actually out of the water all together.

Can you tilt the locline up so the nozzle is out of the water?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice. I plan on buying everything else locally (fittings, valves, etc) because it would be cheaper. And I could always paint the white pvc. BRS is good for specialty stuff but for regular stuff I go to the hardware store. Can you explain why I'd need so many fittings for a simple overflow and return? I'm a novice here so your advice will really help!

lol - experience! You will just need more than you think. The best laid plans sometimes go to waste in practice. You could have a run that you measure mark and glue and then have to redo. Those parts are trash now so need more. Could change your mind about PVC routing after you start. Might want to add more moving parts. Are you planning on a manifold? Those are great for adding extra parts that aren't planned for. Instead of making 5 trips to HD, just get 3-4x as much as you think and return the unused parts.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol - experience! You will just need more than you think. The best laid plans sometimes go to waste in practice. You could have a run that you measure mark and glue and then have to redo. Those parts are trash now so need more. Could change your mind about PVC routing after you start. Might want to add more moving parts. Are you planning on a manifold? Those are great for adding extra parts that aren't planned for. Instead of making 5 trips to HD, just get 3-4x as much as you think and return the unused parts.
What's a manifold? I told you I was a novice.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a manifold? I told you I was a novice.

If you want to redirect some return pump water for use in reactors or to feed a refugium, typically you would make a manifold so you can do that effectively.

Here is an example.

plumb1.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back