Water cooled LED fixture

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is a lot of work.
In my opinion, using high efficiency LEDs, you can generate same amount of light but way lower temperature.

Also, did you heard about vapor chambers coolers?? One of a palm size easily cool down >100W without any fan, pump or any moving component.
The idea of liquid cooled lights if not new, but is more efficient to use narrower tubes / high speed coolant. Dont forget to add special coolant and not water - look for liquid cooling CPUs forums and there will see lots of arguments against bare water into copper pipes. Even better, use ethanols as are more efficient than water :)

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol paul, most people would freak out with that much copper over their tank.... amazing though bud.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dacianb, so far I am using regular water as the temperature of the water seems to only get to about 90 degrees which is much cooler than air cooled fixtures. I was going to use non toxic antifreeze that I use in my boat but I see no need. The entire thing is copper so no worry about metals corroding. I also never heard about vapor chamber coolers. Maybe I will build one (as soon as I figure out what they are) Remember, I did not do this because I really "needed" a light fixture. My air cooled DIY LED fixture was working just fine. I just like building things and do a lot of work with copper.
I realize this is a lot of copper to have hanging 4" over a reef tank, but it is what it is. The tank has been running long enough for me to consider it a success so if something happens now, what can I say?
I am just concerned that I will run out of things to build for the tank before I get senile. :eek:
Dacianb, my fish wouldn't dare get ich. :D

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dacianb, so far I am using regular water as the temperature of the water seems to only get to about 90 degrees which is much cooler than air cooled fixtures. I was going to use non toxic antifreeze that I use in my boat but I see no need. The entire thing is copper so no worry about metals corroding. I also never heard about vapor chamber coolers. Maybe I will build one (as soon as I figure out what they are) Remember, I did not do this because I really "needed" a light fixture. My air cooled DIY LED fixture was working just fine. I just like building things and do a lot of work with copper.
I realize this is a lot of copper to have hanging 4" over a reef tank, but it is what it is. The tank has been running long enough for me to consider it a success so if something happens now, what can I say?
I am just concerned that I will run out of things to build for the tank before I get senile. :eek:

Got the idea... Nobody can stop you then. I am doing the same, just building lights for my own fun - then sometimes I gave them to others and build a new one, stronger and better. But I LOOOOOOVE black anodized aluminium :) and keep away from copper

A link for you:
http://celsiainc.com/blog-heat-pipes-and-vapor-chambers-whats-the-difference/

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got the idea... Nobody can stop you then. I am doing the same, just building lights for my own fun - then sometimes I gave them to others and build a new one, stronger and better. But I LOOOOOOVE black anodized aluminium :) and keep away from copper

A link for you:
http://celsiainc.com/blog-heat-pipes-and-vapor-chambers-whats-the-difference/

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I dont know why previous message uploaded twice, but here is a light I build lately - 100W of pure algae grow monster - mixing 680nm, 730 nm and UVs, but no copper :). Completely useless, as I dont have yet a sump.

20151113_131442.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it, very neat and bright. The algae will also love it, when you get a place to hang it anyway. :D
Mine is more SteamPunk

borgie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I dont know why previous message uploaded twice, but here is a light I build lately - 100W of pure algae grow monster - mixing 680nm, 730 nm and UVs, but no copper :). Completely useless, as I dont have yet a sump.

20151113_131442.jpg
Have a build on this?

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a build on this?

No, sorry about. It is based on my design of power boards and LED boards and all kind of improvements. Soon I am waiting for some new parts for main lights over my tank and then I can make a build thread.
What I am planning now is a 25 x 15x 3.5 cm (something around 10" x 6" x 1.4 ") light fixture with > 200W emission of LEDs underpowered, so a huge efficiency. Now I have lights at around 125 W/ module, but I need more power and more colors to it (I will go from 4 channels to 6).

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a build on this?
This is my test unit. The new one will not have the visible fan and will be twice as powerful. They almost touch the water level, just for my kids to not stare into those lights if are hanged higher and can be slided among the rails in any position.

IMG_1699.JPG

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my test unit. The new one will not have the visible fan and will be twice as powerful. They almost touch the water level, just for my kids to not stare into those lights if are hanged higher and can be slided among the rails in any position.

IMG_1699.JPG
What are you using for the rails?

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are called Strut Profiles. Mainly used to build tables, enclosures, etc for industry. Can be from 20mm to really large ones, have all kind of mounting systems and accessories, etc.
Boschrexroth is in Europe, but maybe there are US companies offering such. I know guys around building tank stands out of such profiles.
http://www.boschrexroth.com/en/xc/p...bly-technology/basic-mechanic-elements/index#
Thanks! That's what I thought. It seems to be called t slot in the states. I used some maker beam to do my current light mounting setup but it's a little flimsy. 10mm.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize it is hard to tell what this thing is, but it is my water cooled LED fixture for my algae scrubber. The red LEDs will be mounted on the back side on copper disks and the thing will transfer heat passively to the fan operated radiator through convection. It is in this shape because I only have 2" of space in front of the scrubber so the radiator needed to be mounted off to one side and slightly above in order for the heated water to rise to the heat exchanger. After I get it wired and installed I will take another picture which hopefully will clarify how it works. (If it works)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. If nothing else, it is weird. :rolleyes:

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize it is hard to tell what this thing is, but it is my water cooled LED fixture for my algae scrubber. The red LEDs will be mounted on the back side on copper disks and the thing will transfer heat passively to the fan operated radiator through convection. It is in this shape because I only have 2" of space in front of the scrubber so the radiator needed to be mounted off to one side and slightly above in order for the heated water to rise to the heat exchanger. After I get it wired and installed I will take another picture which hopefully will clarify how it works. (If it works)

Are you sure that is just a cooler and not a particle accelerator??
Red and far red LEDs have a very low voltage, as result very low wattage. Normally need half of cooling comparing with whites or blue leds. Can put 30-40 such leds on a simple computer (CPU) cooler and have enough light for a small jungle. Agree, dont look as cool as your system. :rolleyes:

Happy tubing Paul

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it has the coolness factor and that is the most important thing. If it doesn't work, I will hang it on my wall. :p

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it has the coolness factor and that is the most important thing. If it doesn't work, I will hang it on my wall. :p
;) yap, fully agree. First "steampunk" tank - I am looking forward to see it in the end.
Do you have a copperband butterfly? do you think have enough "copper" on it? :p

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back