What salt mix do you use?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all of you experienced Reefers, I'm trying to learn what the most balanced salt mix is available to use for a mixed reef aquarium!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it makes little difference what salt mix you use. As long as you know its pros and cons (all have them), then assuming you act accordingly, you will be successful.

There is no best salt mix.

FWIW, I use regular Instant Ocean. :)

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it makes little difference what salt mix you use. As long as you know its pros and cons (all have them), then assuming you act accordingly, you will be successful.

There is no best salt mix.

FWIW, I use regular Instant Ocean. :)
I'm using reef crystals! I'm having to dose alk because it's to low and the calcium is to high. I need to test today to see where the levels are now, I've ordered a Mag test kit, just waiting for it to arrive, so that I can see what those levels are. Do you think that it might be related to the salt mix or is that just normal? I just added my first coral to the DT. Thanks! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using reef crystals! I'm having to dose alk because it's to low and the calcium is to high. I need to test today to see where the levels are now, I've ordered a Mag test kit, just waiting for it to arrive, so that I can see what those levels are. Do you think that it might be related to the salt mix or is that just normal? I just added my first coral to the DT. Thanks! :)

Alkalinity is definitely not too low in Reef Crystals. It is among the highest of all salt mixes. But the aquarium will be using calcium and alkalinity and that is why you'd need to dose them. :)

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is definitely not too low in Reef Crystals. It is among the highest of all salt mixes. But the aquarium will be using calcium and alkalinity and that is why you'd need to dose them. :)
Thank you Randy! I was just surprised that it was so far off, before I even placed any coral in there. :)

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would do when starting a new container of salt mix would be to thoroughly mix it to ensure there is no elemental stratification that may have occured during shipping. Next, I would make sure my SG is accurate, a poor or mis/non calibrated device can lead you to add too much or too little salt mix, and by extension too much or too little Ca, Mg and Alk. Swing arm type hydrometers can be notorious for this.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would do when starting a new container of salt mix would be to thoroughly mix it to ensure there is no elemental stratification that may have occured during shipping. Next, I would make sure my SG is accurate, a poor or mis/non calibrated device can lead you to add too much or too little salt mix, and by extension too much or too little Ca, Mg and Alk. Swing arm type hydrometers can be notorious for this.
Thank you! I use a D-D Refractometer and I calibrate it regularly. I never thought of mixing the salt, sure wouldn't hurt! :)

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refractometer is out of calibration almost every time I use it. I calibrate then make water. I to mix Red Sea pro on new buckets,

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call Downbeach! I just went through the RO/DI calibration and it didn't work for mine 35ppt was the way to go!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the simple Brightwell salt.
Its cheap and mixes right where I want it when I have to put more salt in the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy! I was just surprised that it was so far off, before I even placed any coral in there. :)

What was the alkalinity and did you cycle with that water? Production of nitrate reduces alkalinity. :)

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I purchased my Refractometer about 5.5 years ago. I recalibrated it when I started my tank up in Ocotber and I haven't had to make any adjustments since. I'm super happy with it.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the alkalinity and did you cycle with that water? Production of nitrate reduces alkalinity. :)
I just tested the Alkalinity and it was at 7.392 and the Cal is at 580. I've probably done at least 60g of water changes since my tank finished cycling at the end of October! I just did a 5g change this morning!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested the Alkalinity and it was at 7.392 and the Cal is at 580. I've probably done at least 60g of water changes since my tank finished cycling at the end of October! I just did a 5g change this morning!
Oh my!
Maybe testing error of the kit?

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my!
Maybe testing error of the kit?
Not sure! I'm using my new Hanna checker for Alk, you and I went over how to use that on another thread. Calcium is API and I think I'm going to get something else, Salifert or RedSea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back