What was your first or biggest "newbie" mistake? | Tank Talk Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying one blue and one green mushroom that have grown out of control and I can't get rid of in an acro dominated tank. They keep stinging my acros!

dane0179

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 15 years I had a 55 gal fish only tank. About 2 months ago my husband and granddaughter wanted to clean it. I had to go buy salt and left them at home. When I came home the tank was in the yard completely stripped the gravel all being thoroughly cleaned and I about had a heart ache. Needless to say the next morning my granddaughter who is 7 came to tell me the fish were all swimming funny. The only good thing about it was we decided to start fresh and start a reef tank.

chrisfraser05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing phyto in the sump cabinet.

That wasn't the issue though, the not listening wife, not reading what was written on the dosing containers........

Instead of calcium she dosed the tank with fertiliser for a month while I was in Africa on business.
Came back to a 6 month battle with algae, nitrate over 100ppm, phos over 4ppm.
Ended up scraping all the live rock to start again :-(

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistake #1 buying brs pukani dry rock and adding it to the new tank without curing it.

Mistake #2 Adding frags that were given to me that had briopsys on them to said tank.

11 months later and I am still battling algae but atleast the war is almost over.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistake #1 buying brs pukani dry rock and adding it to the new tank without curing it.

Mistake #2 Adding frags that were given to me that had briopsys on them to said tank.

11 months later and I am still battling algae but atleast the war is almost over.

Going through the same exact thing. Just bought new live rock, it has gotten so out of control

myownlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking the brown polyps on my rock were so cool when I first set up my tank. How lucky was I to get such a cool hitchhiker. Now they are everywhere and the bane of my existence. Anyone know how to kill them?

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know It says first mistake, but I basically made these all at the same time. 1, Building an In-wall tank with no rear access to tank or fuge. 2. Piling all the live rock against back wall of tank. 3. Adding Blue Clove Polyps & Mushrooms that have taken over my tank!

b-rolla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
putting more crap (red slime remover, ich remover, pH buffer) to try and fix bad water quality.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting a bigger tank and adding the beautiful kenya tree that my wife wanted.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people have said "I added XYZ" to the tank and it took cover. I have a feeling we all went through the same progression when it first started to grow. At first it was really cool and then "Awesome, look at how that XYZ is growing!" turns to "I hope it grows more!". Then it's "Man that grows fast" with a bit of "Maybe a little to fast." Before too long it turns into "Hey, stay on the rock!." and finally finishes with an "Oh crap :( "

Last edited:

Sergio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue was being cheap/broke at the start. I eventually had to update everything( skimmer, sump, lights, power heads ).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back