What's the magic number of genicanthus angelfish?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pair of female Watanabe angelfish, and they just got out of quarantine and are in the main display tank now. The resident yellow tang showed them who's boss, but doesn't really bother them unless they get near his hiding spot. However one angelfish is slightly larger and chases the smaller one frequently. My question is whether this is OK, and if I should find a third to distract the larger one? Would buying a male if I could find one be a good idea? Is 3 the magic number or is 2 fine? I just hate fish being picked on. Everyone is eating well, black worms, mysis and sometimes pellets (so far the angelfish don't care for pellets yet).

The tank is a 5' 110 gallon, with a pair of ocellaris (of course), a decent sized yellow tang, and a Falco hawkfish.

Thanks in advance!

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an answer but my watanabe is a model citizen course I only have 1

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression is normal as gender roles are determined by social dominance, so the larger one is beginning to exercise it's dominance, which very well may lead to it transitioning to a male. Pairs will work, but often it is in larger aquaria. For a 110 the magic number is probably 1.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I guess I'll stick with what I have and will keep an eye out for aggression.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back