What's wrong with my fish?

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish has come down with the white spot by his gill. Is this flukes? Also it's hard to see with the picture but my yellow tang has a slightly dark spot on its side. Anyone have any advice on what to do?

20170304_151444.jpg

20170304_151448.jpg

20170306_174824.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably not a fluke. you can confirm this by performing a freshwater dip on him.
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the freshwater dip 2 days in a row. I didn't see anything at the bottom of the container.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed from here. I'd set up a qt tank but not sure what to do with them once they are in it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd for it to first show up on the body like this, but it could be lympho. In that case it's a rarely ever fatal virus. It will go away on it's own with good water quality, vitamin enriched foods and low stress.

the other thing it could be is a bacterial infection of some sort. If you chose to QT, then you would try treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic like kanaplex.

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have both my clown fish in a qt tank. They have been in for a week, with a total of 3 doses of kanaplex over the course of the week.
There has been no change with the white spots.

Any other suggestions that I should do?

20170318_135626.jpg

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure there's no change? the spot on the clown in the recent pic looks smaller than the first pics you had posted. Maybe it's the angle, but it does look smaller. Also, is that spot on both clowns or just the one?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the picture, or is there white stuff below his fin as well? If so, it looks like lympho to me but wait for the experts to catch up.

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the white spot is below the fin as well. The other clown has a much smaller spot near the gill. It's just hard to see from the pictures.

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a few more pics. Thanks for all the replies.

20170318_192303.jpg

20170318_192439.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back