why YOU should join an aquarium club

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score

Find out why YOU should join an aquarium club!

In today’s Marine Depot video, we sit down with two Southern California Marine Aquarium Society board members to discuss the benefits of joining a local reef club. During our conversation, we cover a lot of ground—including the history of SCMAS, tank tours, workshops plus share laughs on topics only other reefers can relate to.

Are you a member of an aquarium club! Please reply and let us know which club you belong to!

[HASHTAG]#MarineDepotVideos[/HASHTAG]

Last edited:

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm a board member for the Bay Area Reefers (BAR) Club. We are a regional reef club based out of the San Francisco Bay Region of California. We have approximately 130 paying members in our club.

Why join a reef club?
  1. Great learning experience. You don't know everything in this hobby. Even when you get the hang of running your reef tank, you can still learn more and more every day from other hobbyists. There are people in my club who have been in this hobby for over 15 years and they possess a wealth of knowledge.
  2. My second biggest reason for being in a reef club. Human interaction! It's fun showing people my tank, interacting with them at frag swaps, coral grow-out contests, etc. You can buy corals and stare at your tank all day by yourself but eventually it gets lonely/old.
    • This month we are doing a Tank Tour and Potluck. Grab a bunch of club members who want to show off their awesome tanks and enjoy food together. Last month we held our annual regional frag swap that brought 130 people together to trade corals.
  3. Power in joint funds! Reef clubs have money to do fun and informative activities. With membership fees and fundraisers you can pay for expert speakers to come give a talk. You can buy corals to do grow-out contests. You can throw big reef events that bring people together to enjoy the hobby.
    • Another example: The club has a coral bandsaw and par meter that we share/lend out between our club members.
Find your local reef club and join it! Don't reef alone :)

18488744438_3e5969914f_o.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm a board member for the Bay Area Reefers (BAR) Club. We are a regional reef club based out of the San Francisco Bay Region of California. We have approximately 130 paying members in our club.

Why join a reef club?
  1. Great learning experience. You don't know everything in this hobby. Even when you get the hang of running your reef tank, you can still learn more and more every day from other hobbyists. There are people in my club who have been in this hobby for over 15 years and they possess a wealth of knowledge.
  2. My second biggest reason for being in a reef club. Human interaction! It's fun showing people my tank, interacting with them at frag swaps, coral grow-out contests, etc. You can buy corals and stare at your tank all day by yourself but eventually it gets lonely/old.
    • This month we are doing a Tank Tour and Potluck. Grab a bunch of club members who want to show off their awesome tanks and enjoy food together. Last month we held our annual regional frag swap that brought 130 people together to trade corals.
  3. Power in joint funds! Reef clubs have money to do fun and informative activities. With membership fees and fundraisers you can pay for expert speakers to come give a talk. You can buy corals to do grow-out contests. You can throw big reef events that bring people together to enjoy the hobby.
    • Another example: The club has a coral bandsaw and par meter that we share/lend out between our club members.

Thank you so much for sharing! "Don't reef alone" — wise words, my friend!

Josh Bayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We had a local club and it went away. I try to start one up now and get jumped in mb some of the locals so I stop. Idk what to do. Just make one anyways or just give up.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
We had a local club and it went away. I try to start one up now and get jumped in mb some of the locals so I stop. Idk what to do. Just make one anyways or just give up.

A member on another forum we sponsor said he created a regional group (Las Vegas, to be specific) on Facebook to connect with local reefers. They now have over 500 members and intend to form a legitimate aquarium club out of it. So that's one approach you might consider!

Josh Bayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We have a local FB group, and in there I suggested to do actualy club format in forums and that's when they get mad lol.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
We have a local FB group, and in there I suggested to do actualy club format in forums and that's when they get mad lol.

Odd indeed. There are so many perks to being a member of a club! Buying, selling & trading frags and equipment with people you trust, learning from each other's trials and tribulations, helping each other up or downsize, attending and organizing events ... the list goes on. Maybe you need to paste the link to our video into your group and start the conversation again!

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score

Why join a reef club?

I plan on joining you guys right after I start my new job!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back