Will a Shipment of Coral be OK Until I'm Off Work?

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering since I work 9-5 on the weekdays if I ordered some coral and had it shipped to my office if it would be OK until I got home at about 5. I'd bring it inside and it would be there from about 12-5. If absolutely necessary I could come home and float it in the tank until I was home at 5. I don't have time to acclimate it all during my lunch break though.

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I usually do is receive the corals at work. Check to make sure everything is OK and then go home and put it into my sump(floating). If its something really expensive that doesnt usually bring pests I'll throw it in my frag tank till I get home and then dip before it gets put into my display. It also helps that I have a tank at work, I can just put it in there if I can't make it home. However, most vendors wont DOA items if you leave them outside of a tank for that long after arrival so it is your responsibility.
Also by acclimate I really hope you dont mean drip...

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I usually do is receive the corals at work. Check to make sure everything is OK and then go home and put it into my sump(floating). If its something really expensive that doesnt usually bring pests I'll throw it in my frag tank till I get home and then dip before it gets put into my display. It also helps that I have a tank at work, I can just put it in there if I can't make it home. However, most vendors wont DOA items if you leave them outside of a tank for that long after arrival so it is your responsibility.

Well, I did mean drip but after reading your comment I did some more research and discovered that most people just drop them into their tank. Since that's the case I'll probably just bring them home and drop them in during lunch.

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I get the wife to receive shipment. But they usually sit in the box until 5:30 till I get home. Never had a problem. But wouldn't do it if it was a really expensive order.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you bring them into your conditioned office and they're not sitting outside in the cold, I think it's fine. I've done it many times and no problems. Regarding acclimation, I've always at least floated to get to temperature.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Me: Hey Boss, we need a fishtank here.
Boss: Why?
Me: It will make you happy
Boss: Honestly, why would you want a fishtank in our office.
Me: Fine, you got me! I need them for whenever I get new corals, you know they can't really wait until I get home from work....
Boss: That's perfectly fine with me. Let me tell you what, let me help you out with that, you can work from HOME from now on. It was nice having you around!
2 months later.........
Me: Best thing ever happened to me, now I can work from home and have as many tanks I want...YAY!
that's sort of story of my life, well not literally....but something along those lines

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one will be home to receive the order sadly or I would just teach them how to get them into the tank. I wish my job was something I could do from home that would be amazing lol.

I think my current plan is to get home during my lunch break and float them for a few minutes then drop them into the tank.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one will be home to receive the order sadly or I would just teach them how to get them into the tank. I wish my job was something I could do from home that would be amazing lol.

I think my current plan is to get home during my lunch break and float them for a few minutes then drop them into the tank.
I believe they make overnight livestock delivery their priority, at least in my area, received about 5 shipments and they all came before 10AM. Maybe you can go to work a little late?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the sticks and usually get my boxes at 6pm or so. That's riding around all day in a bumpy, hot or cold truck.

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the middle of nowhere as well lol. When the delivery time says by 12 o'clock they mean at 12 o'clock.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If receiving SPS I usually would acclimate as I was receiving a fish shipment, temperature acclimation then the drip method. Sudden changes in alk can be the difference between a happy frag and a bleaching coral within an hour of receiving the package.
Just my 2 cents.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%

Back