Would you remove the 3D rock background before starting a marine aquarium?

Ram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one of those 3D rock backgrounds that i used to use in my freshwater aquarium. Would you remove it to build a reef aquarium or leave it in? Im not sure if its going to look awkward.

TattoosandFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would what color is the background of your tank? My last saltwater tank i painted it blue my 75 i have now was painted black when i bought it. I like the more natural look myself weclome to the big leagues lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 3DB.jpg
    3DB.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

rogerrgr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would take it off and paint the outside back of the tank with Krylon Fusion spray paint. I would be worried that water would get trapped behind the 3d background and stagnate.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out... I plastidip my tank background (outside of tank) I have had it black, deep blue now it's a royal blue. With plastidip it just peels off when you want and just roll on another color. I have changed it while the tank is occupied. Once you start mixing colors to get different shades it gets addicting[emoji48]

OP
OP
R

Ram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out... I plastidip my tank background (outside of tank) I have had it black, deep blue now it's a royal blue. With plastidip it just peels off when you want and just roll on another color. I have changed it while the tank is occupied. Once you start mixing colors to get different shades it gets addicting[emoji48]

That sounds like a good idea! Can I use any brand of spray rubber coating or what kind do you use?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good idea! Can I use any brand of spray rubber coating or what kind do you use?
Yea there's a few other brands that came out after plastidip exploded. I use actually plastidip brand. For the tank i use the cans so I can roll it on and also mix colors. You could use the spray cans but your limited. I use a can of their black and blue and mix parts. Their blue I feel alone is to blue so I darken it a bit with black. It's like mixing paint and after it dries if you don't like it peel it off and start again!

Azarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my freshwater tanks I have used black opaque static cling film I bought from Amazon.com. I think it's made for people who are developing film in their house, etc. $30 can cover a 55g tank with some to spare. It does leave some air bubbles, though, but is removable.

For my saltwater setup I brushed on some black glossy paint I had leftover from another project. It took about six coats to hide all the streaks, but it was dry and ready for a new coat in 20 mins. I just kept my paint cup and brush covered in a plastic bag for two days.

Ken Diedenhofer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one of those 3D rock backgrounds that i used to use in my freshwater aquarium. Would you remove it to build a reef aquarium or leave it in? Im not sure if its going to look awkward.
Nice background very nice !!! I'm new to saltwater to setting up a 90 gallon but I'm going to guess you'll want to take it off before starting a reef tank being once you start your tank your going to want add corals and think you'll want the more natural look !!! Just guessing !!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back