Would you repurpose this?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2445.PNG
its a large 225 gallon plastic tote. Would love to use for something reef related!

75$ is cheap. Had liquid fertilizer in it before. Would washing it out work?

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2445.PNG
its a large 225 gallon plastic tote. Would love to use for something reef related!

75$ is cheap. Had liquid fertilizer in it before. Would washing it out work?

Got the same ones but mine were for food storage. Smoked pork and hot dog paste. Not sure if you can use the ones used as fertilizer but so long as you can clean it thoroughly I don't see why not.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the same ones but mine were for food storage. Smoked pork and hot dog paste. Not sure if you can use the ones used as fertilizer but so long as you can clean it thoroughly I don't see why not.

Sweet! I may if Randy gives it the go. Where did you put it? Im not sure i could fit one in my basment without crushing it a bit lol. But it could be cut it half abd used sideways. Or build a fish room outside with it in would be sweet.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a housing outside. A wooden shack of sorts. I will pipe it into the house. I would still ask more opinions as far as if the fertilizer would leak into the plastic itself

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take some muriatic acid to it =)

True, but was thinking when you mix acid and bleach = death. So is that safe? Probably fertilizer has eurea in it, nitrogen, ammonia etcetera wich are probably all water soluble and would easily be removed.

But for any contamination of metals, like copper i think acid would help a lot to remove it.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My work sells these as well. Be VERY careful. The EPAs only guidelines for being "clean enough to sell" are triple rinse and less than 1" residue at the bottom.
Don't know what type of fertilizer but you're looking at a ton of water usage to get it clean enough for aquarium water.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My work sells these as well. Be VERY careful. The EPAs only guidelines for being "clean enough to sell" are triple rinse and less than 1" residue at the bottom.
Don't know what type of fertilizer but you're looking at a ton of water usage to get it clean enough for aquarium water.

Now im worried lol

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could of had an Ester fert in it. Fert also has iron For 75$ and the amount that of water, can't you get a Rubbermaid tub thing.

For how much we put in to reef tanks I would hate to risk it even if it can be cleaned.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could of had an Ester fert in it. Fert also has iron For 75$ and the amount that of water, can't you get a Rubbermaid tub thing.

For how much we put in to reef tanks I would hate to risk it even if it can be cleaned.

Whats ester fert? Iron wouldn't be an issue, i think. Copper though..

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea also make sure it's food grade. The ones I bought were food grade so they wee a little more than those. Look on Craigslist there's a bunch of them

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think food grade would be ok, ours are pretty nasty chemicals. sulfurs, chelants etc.
Just give it a good look over. No residues on the sides of container, clear water (if any) in the bottom. Look at the valve on the bottom-you can usually tell how clean it is by that valve.
Good luck :)

C5thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use tubs with fertilizer or any chemical in it. Why risk ANY byproduct being in your tub that could get into your tank. If the EPA won't let the tub be washed and become food grade do you think it's okay for a tank? Either go to tractor supply and by a new tank or find a food grade for a little more. Fertilizer has all types of metals in it for grass/trees. What if it also had a herbicide or pesticide? Not worth the risk.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the EPA won't let the tub be washed and become food grade do you think it's okay for a tank?
The EPA only gives rules on how to wash it and what can be contained in it for reuse.
You would just have to make sure you really look it over before you used it.

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the amount of money we spend in the hobby, you can get a new tank, maybe not as big for $100-150.. why even go through the trouble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back