yellow tang

sheatime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thing happened that has me cautious towards adding fish to my tank now, added a healthy moorish idol, was eating pellet and and frozen mysis at LFS and ate when I brought him home, the yellow tang I have, decided to become super aggressive towards the idol. Anyone have any insight as to what may have caused this? The idol was larger then the tang

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs in general can be aggressive, particularly if the tang was in the tank first, and especially toward fish that have a similar body shape.

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should remove the yellow tang and put hum in your sump/fuge for a couple days while the new fish(idol) acclimates.....Then add him back when your lights are off(middle of the night)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may work, also getting a large social acclimation box helps, it allows established fish to see and get used to new additions without being able to harm or chase them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having several fish to spread aggression also works. Less conventional approach but works for me. My idol is in with lots of large Angels without issue. Many are very aggressive.

He's in there with a passer, emperor, Queen, blue face, potters, rock beauty Angels and a nasty Achilles tang that is very aggressive and a chevron and yellow belly hippo, and an aggressive banana wrasse. Very little chasing.

If you have one or a few tangs you're far more likely to have aggression issues IMO.

Idol are not very aggressive, and don't care well in captivity at all, let alone with aggression. Mine holds its own though, that being said.

Emperor is tank boss. The only way he shows it is when he's feeding, get out of his way. When he's at the nori rock, step out of the way or he'll pick at you. Other than that, equilibrium is reached.

OP
OP
sheatime

sheatime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the responses guys, I ended up just taking him back to the LFS for some more attentive recovery

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back