OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I've been away from the forum for a long time but @evolved's correct: we got the old tank out and the new tank in. I do have several photos on my phone of the breakdown and rebuild but they're not significantly different than what you'd see by looking through the first few pages of this thread....only there are a lot more fish and a lot more corals to worry about! If people would like to see the progress shots, I'll upload them.

With the very generous help of @urbaneks, we finished the tank's floating canopy. I ended up adding 4x5' T5s to the 2xHydra52s and 4xHydra26s to give us a little more coverage. I don't think it was necessary for the corals but it makes a differences visually as you could see some spotlighting effect when viewing the tank at a distance. This was especially true on the new tank because the new one has a black background. Speaking of the black background, I'm still adjusting to it but like both. I will make an effort to get up more pictures of the canopy build and pictures of the final product soon. We're currently knocking down a few walls in the house so things are very messy around here -- I'll post up pictures once the dust settles, literally.

Overall, I really think the tank is back on the right track and it will be looking really good in 1-2 more years. I don't have much SPS left. There was a lot of die off with the AEFWs and then the move killed most of the rest. Then, to top that all off, the CaRx regulator went out so I had several weeks of manual dosing, which was very difficult to keep up with. Needless to say, the tank wasn't very stable and I made a lot of corals unhappy. Surprisingly, we only lost 2 fish: the female masked angel and the lunate wrasse. I'm bummed about both, of course, but considering we have so many fish, I consider it a success.

I was holding off on posting a full tank shot until I got enough sand in the tank for it to look presentable. It looked really off without a full sand bed. So, without further ado:

32472399204_d56f5005d2_b.jpg

Here are some shots at closer range:

DSC_3154 by E Z, on Flickr

DSC_3156 by E Z, on Flickr

DSC_3159 by E Z, on Flickr

Picked this elegance up at MACNA in San Diego and it weathered the move and has been a nice addition to the sand bed.
DSC_3157 by E Z, on Flickr

Added a male and female bimaculatus anthias -- really like them. I'm going to be looking for a few more females soon.
DSC_3166 by E Z, on Flickr

One of our oldest fish -- we've had him for 4.5 years, I believe:
DSC_3168 by E Z, on Flickr

Our ich magnet -- the UV helps but all the stress we've put these guys through doesn't. He's held strong so far...*knock on wood*
DSC_3172 by E Z, on Flickr

Still my favorite and she greets me everytime I walk by:
DSC_3173 by E Z, on Flickr

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking fantastic Eric! I have to get a tutorial from you on how to shoot fish photos. The Anthias shot is amazing. Glad things are getting back on track. Hope to see SPS thriving in there in the near future.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos, Eric! Love the new scape (and black background) and it's great to see your fish and corals looking so healthy... :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys! I've been away from the forum for a long time but @evolved's correct: we got the old tank out and the new tank in. I do have several photos on my phone of the breakdown and rebuild but they're not significantly different than what you'd see by looking through the first few pages of this thread....only there are a lot more fish and a lot more corals to worry about! If people would like to see the progress shots, I'll upload them.

With the very generous help of @urbaneks, we finished the tank's floating canopy. I ended up adding 4x5' T5s to the 2xHydra52s and 4xHydra26s to give us a little more coverage. I don't think it was necessary for the corals but it makes a differences visually as you could see some spotlighting effect when viewing the tank at a distance. This was especially true on the new tank because the new one has a black background. Speaking of the black background, I'm still adjusting to it but like both. I will make an effort to get up more pictures of the canopy build and pictures of the final product soon. We're currently knocking down a few walls in the house so things are very messy around here -- I'll post up pictures once the dust settles, literally.

Overall, I really think the tank is back on the right track and it will be looking really good in 1-2 more years. I don't have much SPS left. There was a lot of die off with the AEFWs and then the move killed most of the rest. Then, to top that all off, the CaRx regulator went out so I had several weeks of manual dosing, which was very difficult to keep up with. Needless to say, the tank wasn't very stable and I made a lot of corals unhappy. Surprisingly, we only lost 2 fish: the female masked angel and the lunate wrasse. I'm bummed about both, of course, but considering we have so many fish, I consider it a success.

I was holding off on posting a full tank shot until I got enough sand in the tank for it to look presentable. It looked really off without a full sand bed. So, without further ado:

32472399204_d56f5005d2_b.jpg

Here are some shots at closer range:

DSC_3154 by E Z, on Flickr

DSC_3156 by E Z, on Flickr

DSC_3159 by E Z, on Flickr

Picked this elegance up at MACNA in San Diego and it weathered the move and has been a nice addition to the sand bed.
DSC_3157 by E Z, on Flickr

Added a male and female bimaculatus anthias -- really like them. I'm going to be looking for a few more females soon.
DSC_3166 by E Z, on Flickr

One of our oldest fish -- we've had him for 4.5 years, I believe:
DSC_3168 by E Z, on Flickr

Our ich magnet -- the UV helps but all the stress we've put these guys through doesn't. He's held strong so far...*knock on wood*
DSC_3172 by E Z, on Flickr

Still my favorite and she greets me everytime I walk by:
DSC_3173 by E Z, on Flickr
Woot! So happy you see this update! Love your photos!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So happy to see this reef tank rocking! Looks great too!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back