Name: Fadi Abu Tahoun
R2R Username: @fabutahoun
Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fadis-reef-180-gallons-sps-dominated-tank.268341/
My Name is Fadi Abu Tahoun. I am from Jordan and currently live in Riyadh - Saudi Arabia. My thanks to Reef2Reef for featuring my tank as Reef of the Month spotlight. Keeping a reef here in this part of world is not an easy task. All of my equipment is bought and shipped from the USA to Saudi Arabia, and for live stock I have had to travel and drive more than a thousand miles to nearby countries like Bahrain and Dubai to get some coral frags and fish (until recently since I started helping a local fish store to order live stock from Indonesia and the Philippians so I can get my wish list).
I am in love in Acropora corals and Angelfish, and I always wanted to make a reef tank that has them all.
- Display tank: 180 Gallons 72" X 24" X 24"
- Glass or Acrylic: Tempered glass
- Stand: Steel Stand
- Sump: 40"L X 20"W X 18"H
- Protein skimmer: Super Reef Octopus SRO 3000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer
- Carbon/phosphate filtration: two TLF Phosban Reactor 150 (one for carbon, the other for GFO)
- Return pump: Jebao DC - 12000 with manifold to feed media reactors
- Water circulation: 2 Apex WAV
- Lighting (display): 3 Radion XR30 Pro
- Lighting (refugium): Kessil H380 Halo II LED Algae Grow Light
- Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing: Jebao Auto Dosing Pump DP-4
- Auto top-off: Apex ATK
- Heating/cooling: two ehim 300 heaters , and room AC
- System control: Apex Classic Controller with WMX to control the radions, PMK for PAR monitoring , FMM for leak detection, and optical sensors
- Other details: Dosing Acropower and Fauna Marin color elements.
Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:
I am trying to achieve the maximum flow from my WAV pumps with random flow profiles changing throughout the day, starting at 10% at early morning to 80-100% at regular hours.
Lighting Summary and Objectives:
- Temp: 77 -78 f
- pH: 8.1 - 8.3
- Specific gravity: 1.026
- NO3: 0.2 - 2.5
- Ca: 420 - 460
- Alk: 9.0 - 9.5
- Mg: 1300 - 1350
- PO4: 0 - 0.02
- Ammonia and nitrites: 0
I have used the Apex PMK to measure tank par values at the start of the tank I am targeting values from 200 PAR at the bottom of the Tank to 450 PAR at the max tip of my corals. My program have 4 main color settings, sunrise , white light to boost growth, Ecotech Coral Lab AB+ at the main viewing time, then deep blue to give the colors an extra boost.
- Display tank: 12 total hours, it starts with all blue sunrise for 1 hour, then 12K , 14K, followed by a mimic of Ecotech Coral Lab AB+ program, ended by few hours of sundown with deep blue only.
- Refugium: On for 24 hours
Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives:
I have a Heavy Bioload and feed my Angels a lot to keep them away from my corals. My main nutrition export method is via a relatively large refugium with the strong Kessil LED and a strong skimmer. Also I perform weekly 10% water change and small addition of Brightwell Microbacter7 and Fritz Monster 460.
Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:
I dose Calcium and Alkalinity via an Auto doser. For Magnesium, I only test once a month and correct values accordingly. I use Bulk reef Supply Additives and baking Soda for Dosing.
1. Emperor Angelfish(Pomacanthus imperator) From Juvenile To Young Adult
2. Coral Beauty Angelfish(Centropyge bispinosa) From The Philippines
3. Another Coral Beauty Angelfish(Centropyge bispinosa) From The Indonesia
4. Rusty Angelfish(Centropyge ferrugata)
5. Lamarck's Angelfish(Genicanthus lamarck)
6. Watanabei Angelfish(Genicanthus watanabei)
7. Swallowtail Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos)
8. Masked Swallowtail Angelfish(Genicanthus semifasciatus)
9. 3 X Dispar Anthias (Pseudanthias dispar)
10. Pair of Female Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish, (Amphiprion ocellaris ) and Male Platinum Percula Clownfish, (Amphiprion percula)
11. Another lonely Female Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish, (Amphiprion ocellaris )
12. Wheeler's Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris wheeleri)
13. Diamond Watchman Goby (Valenciennea puellaris)
14. Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
15. Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
16. Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
17. Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse(Paracheilinus carpenteri)
18. Blue Flasher Wrasse(Paracheilinus cyaneus)
19. Green Mandarin(Synchiropus splendidus)
20. Ornate leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon ornate)
21. Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse(Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
22. Blotched Anthias(Odontanthias borbonius)
23. Black Cap Jawfish (Opistognathus randalli)
24. Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
1. Red Sea Maxima Clam Multicolored (Tridacna maxima)
2. Red Sea Marbled Linckia Star
3. 2 X Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
4 . 2 X Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)
5 . Banded Boxer Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus)
6. Infinite Number of Snails that keep breeding :
7. Astraea Turbo Snail (Astraea tecta)
8. Banded Trochus Snail (Trochus sp.)
9. Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus)
10. Bumble Bee Snail (Engina sp.)
11. Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.)
12. Turban Snail (Tectus fenestratus)
13. Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Tank Inhabitants— Corals:
Bali Green Slimer
Bali Tri Color
Blue Flowers Montipora
Boston Bean Digi
Chilli Pepper Monti
Chocolate Mint Chip Monti
Forest Fire Digi
German blue Digi
Green Cactus Pavona
Grinch Reverse Sunset Montipora
Red Hot Setosa
Yellow Tips Acro
Meteor Shower Cyphastrea
Green Bounce Mushroom
ORA Green Bird's Nest
ORA Red Planet
Purple Red Sea Monster
Rainbow Short Cake Acro
Sanjay Milka Stylo
Pink Shortcake Acro
GREEN LIGHT MONTI HIRSUTA
Multiple goniopora (red, Green , Green Purple tips, Purple)
Some Soft Coral
Fish and Coral Feeding:
3-4 Times a day with pellets and my DIY Food mix and other dry food, for full details check this article
Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby?
Since I was a little kid, my father started a freshwater aquarium, then I kept starting new aquariums in our basement until I started my first marine tank in 2005.
How long have you been doing this?
Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?
Nowadays, I love that all of my family are gathering around the tank and getting involved in reef-keeping. My kids just love it!!!
What are your future plans for improvement/upgrade of the tank?
I'm thinking about getting a Calcium reactor, and an extra Radion LED.