Plumbing Planning for my new Frag Tank (48x24x10)

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with my new frag tank coming next week i want to plan out the plumbing for it. i requested it undrilled so i can run the lines the way i want to. i have a mag12 i am using for it. is that too small or should iget a bigger one?
the overflow runs on the entire side. so the overflow is 3.35x24" i am thinking of having a 2 x 1.5" bulkheads for draining to the sump.
i am thinking of having the overflow on the right and some return lines from the left side.
I also want to drill the overflow for the return lines. how would be a good way to make sure it has alot of flow from the opposite side.
would it be a good idea to drill the 1 long 48" side with like 4 bulk heads and 3 on the left side for left pushing flow and then cross flow to keep it all moving around. i dont want to use any pumps or koralias or anything cause they are too long and take up space inside the tank. i sold my Vortech cause i know it would be to shallow for the tank.
im trying to use google sketch to try and make up a tank and water lines, but i suck at it. hehe i can see what i want in my head but cant draw it for you all to see.

i also was thinking of running the lines inside in the bottom of the tank and put a "T" every feet or so to point a flow in the direction of the frags and it would also run it to the left side for flow towards the overflow.

what size lines should i run? 3/4 or 1/2? i was thinking of 1/2 to keep the flow pressure up, or would it be ok with 3/4? since i want to have 6 - 8 return nozzles would that i need to have the 1/2 to keep pressure. i am thinking of running the lines down the center to power the left side nozzles, then down the sides to power the side ones, so the left side has the most pressure. or better yet run 3 seperate lines for the left side, north side, south.
am i making any sense? hehe does it sound like i want too much flow?

anyone have a great idea to plumb this please help me out. hehe

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back