Anyone plumb their aquariums with this - Flexible Water Garden Pond Hose

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the link...

http://www.flexiblepvc.net/Flexible_Water_...blepondhose.htm

says its used in aquariums. I really like those pre-terminated flex hoses that come up sumps (see them with ELOS systems and Orca sumps - http://www.refugium-filter.com/resources/e...0kit%20001.jpg) but at $16.00 for a three foot length I cant see myself spending almost $100 on just hoses alone.

The flex pond stuff i linked above seems better than that spa-flex stuff that is super rigid and hard to work with from what i have been reading. It has a smooth interior surface as well. I cant glue pvc fittings to it but i can use barbs and clamps.

Anyone have issues with barb clamp systems (mine won't have a lot of pressure - about 300 gph through the returns)

If you do have experience with clamps what do you think of these? http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=...se_Clamps-Thumb

thanks
Vince

carolinareefgrowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff you linked is not very good quality. You need to use internal barbed fittings which makes the flow less plus creates an edge for debris to catch on and clog. The membrane between the ribs is very thin and develops pin holes easily. Use the flexible PVC. It is extremely flexible and uses external glue fittings for optimal flow. Use black as it does not let light through and will not allow algae to grow inside.

bmooney31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the flexible pvc for all the plumbing on my frag tank. I loved using it. IT's so much easier to work with than hard pvc. I will use it everytime from here on out.

bmooney31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No spa flex is the same as flexible PVC. There is another type that looks more like the hose you use when you clean out a pool. Wouldn't advise using that stuff. I got my spa flex/flexible PVC from marine depot It was the only place I could find the sizes I needed

OP
OP
phi delt reefer

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the spa flex bend well - I only ask cause i will need to make some tight turns. I had read that some people hated the stuff cause it stayed in the coil shape it came in and was hard to reshape. they may have been talking about the clear braided pvc though - man i wish i bookmarked more :squigglemouth:

bmooney31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start working with it you'll figure out how to use the bends in it to your advantage. Hard to explain with words but you'll get it. Make you you use the weldon flex PVC glue. It's hotter than reg PVC glue. It bonds much better.

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Marine Depot for sizes and length. Although I bought mine from Ewing irrigation that was way cheaper and they cut to length. You can put the flex pvc in hot water in the bathtub to make it more malable. :wink:

Sharki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to tell you to stop by because I have a bunch of extra at home & you can check out my closed loop that I plumbed with it but I'm guessing Ontario is a bit too far of a road trip LOL. Mine has worked great. Plumbed my closed loop with it & I had some pretty tight turns too. The Oceans Motions wavemaker I have actually suggests only using the flex pvc with their systems.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Marine Depot for sizes and length. Although I bought mine from Ewing irrigation that was way cheaper and they cut to length. You can put the flex pvc in hot water in the bathtub to make it more malable. :wink:
good to know... i never tried that...1smile1

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard that in the summer time you can lay it out in the driveway in the sun for an hour or so before you use it.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ditto on the Spa flex very nice to work with. The only thing that I want to add is that I use unions on both ends to ease the assembly and installation.

David

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is flex pvc different from spa flex?

Flex pvc is smooth and spa flex has slight ridges in it. It should not make a difference but I have read where some people complain about cavitation when they used spa flex in a high pressure closed loop. Also to make it easier to bend either just get a heat gun.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back