New Member - 29Gal BC

reesestewww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd post my Nano reef. Years ago I had a 180Gal built in, but after moving I left the tank behind. I've wanted to get back into the hobby for quite some time. I decided about a year ago to make the jump into the small BioCube. It's great! I'm loving it even more than the 180. It nice to purchase a $15 frag that can actually make an impact in the tank.

I've been through some lighting changes, but recently settled on the AI Nano LED System with controller. It's fantastic! It totally changes the tank and really brought the color to life in the corals. Previously I was using 4x18w T-5HO, which I purchased to replace the original hood with the PC's.

Anyways the tank is pretty basic. I learned years ago to Keep it Simple. And as soon as I started with the methodology I had much more success. I've removed the Bio Balls and I'm only using a PO4 Remover, no other filters, sponges or protein skimmers. All other filtration takes place in the reef. I do a 5gal water change every 2 weeks. I make my own salt using the Reef Pro additive. Fish are limited, just a Six Line, Clown Goby and recently a Mondrian Fish. I wanted to give the tank about a year to mature before adding the MF. I dose a cap full Ca and KH about every other day and other Dr. G supplements through out the week.

Cheers
photo1-9.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

photo3-7.jpg

photo4-5.jpg

photo5.jpg

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really digging those lights, can you clarify the brand? How powerful are they, can you keep SPS with those?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet nano! Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
R

reesestewww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm going back to T5's. I'm out of patience and time to continue to play with LED's for now. Maybe in a few more years when its not such a trial and error process

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm going back to T5's. I'm out of patience and time to continue to play with LED's for now. Maybe in a few more years when its not such a trial and error process

What problems were you having with the lights?

OP
OP
R

reesestewww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problems were you having with the lights?

The problem really is me. But If there's one thing that I have learned from this process, is not to buy LED's based on the thought or question "will they be powerful enough?" The answer is Yes! They will be powerful enough. But that thought process has been very much burned into our head b/c that's the old way of doing things. I chose the Nano b/c I understood it has enough power, and it does. I also like the independent mounting that the Nano has.

But here's what I did not take into consideration, the actual coverage area. The Nano has plenty of power for a BC29, but not enough coverage for my personal preferance. I have lots of shadows and corals that will never have the amount of light they used to. So I'm going back to T5's but I've purchased the 24" system so I can have a large choice of bulbs.

I'll be using 2 blue, 1 aquablue and one purple+

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back