Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I had no idea. :(

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that thinks this is a good thing, is only seeing the profit potential; I cant fathom the endless possibilities of how bad this can be for the environment, it's very sad to see the government of PNG willing to risk the coral reefs of PNG.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say try it if they could manage to control most of the debris. A lot of other nasty things happen to the ocean, but ultimately don't destroy it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...and they complain about the reefing industry...this leaves a huge footprint!

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every sewer pipe in the world runs into the ocean now we have airplanes making fake clouds it snows metal dust some days every animal on planet is sick , swine flu , bird flu , dog flu, bees flu , sick fish washing up on beaches just not confirmed if its a flu no worries now we have obamacare

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and they complain about the reefing industry...this leaves a huge footprint!

The reefing industry is the easiest they can point a finger at. Its not a multi billion dollar a year industry that can pay big bucks to lobbyist. I see the hobby as conservation more than anything else. Most.hobbyists would more than be happy to return corals to the ocean if that's what it came to. Sure we would all keep some frags of these colonies if that's what had to happen. People for the most part are completely ignorant about the importance of life in the ocean. Because life outside of the ocean will not exist without it.

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a lot of bad things this hobby does but I think it mostly is aimed towards fish...as much as I love certain species like tangs, I don't think we should be able to house them in aquariums if we can't successfully breed them

Choptrucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! What gives them the right to just start digging up the ocean and taking nutrients that probably keeps some organisms alive down there to just put on some point of sale jewelry piece!! Or for a pipe!! And the movie 6 is just completely sad.... That room full of those large clam shells that were possibly 100 yrs old!! We just throw away the beauty and the importance of the ocean just to get rich... Pathetic!!!!!!!!

Ward9320

It's NOT a Nemo!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scary part is the bigger picture, if this project goes well and has a high profit return then more companies will jump on the opportunity to do the same thing. Within 10 years after the first mine starts up there will be more and more popping up all over with everyone wanting to get a piece of pie. Yes, maybe one mine won't have that big of an effect on the oceans eco system but after numerous mines start showing up that statistic will surly change.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck. Life is resilient, it will bounce back in 5-10 years.

Yep let me go mine his yard. It will bounce back in 5-10 years too.

OP
OP
FX CharityCorals

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. And you have to assume they are going to be dynamiting rock or high impulse charges to break up the rock. I understand the problem the world faces as population keeps growing and resources are becoming scarcer.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be restricted in many ways if they are going to mine. And I hope blasting will not be allowed.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG MONEY almost always TRUMPS, everything else is secondary or usually ignored. The recent fish collecting bans/regulations in Hawaii are a PRIME EXAMPLE of this as well. The major emphasis to save these Wild Indigenous Reef Fish and all the while there were projects in the works and now have passed legislation like two major Harbor improvements that will completely remove vast acres of our priceless Coral Reef. Its hard to imagine the thought process behind some of these decisions other than greed. And so very sad that even the most aggressive of Conservation Groups seem unwilling to take on the short-sighted GIANTS of Industry and Government.

Not so Cheery, Todd

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back