Imprt from ORCA: Dosing Hydrogen Peroxide - The best kept secret for algae and dinos

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say you haven't had your morning cup of coffee and you decide to do things like this that are better left for being fully awake. You add 30ml into 80g instead of 8ml. Not that I did this or anything...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hurry post before pics

I bet it wont be as bad as you are thinking

even that amount wont kill off your bacteria. really, od's with peroxide do have some effects on pods but typically its not a tank wipe, post pics if you can real quick
a large water change is indicated, simply export it. it will lose most of its power in a few hrs.

this ranting post covers most known sensitive, and tolerated organisms in reefing regarding peroxide.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ma...42-reef2reef-pest-algae-challenge-thread.html

Last edited:

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already done a 15g water change and pulled most of my my corals/Zoas out into a 5g bucket. Diluted tank water with water I was going to use for a water change in another tank. Stuff in the bucket looks okay and stuff in the tank that I could not get out (shrooms and a few Zoas on larger rocks) are looking okay. Fish seem okay too. I'm going to do another 15g in a couple hours...have more salt and water mixing now...

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not get great pics of before, so was just going to try to get clean pics after.

Just went back in and looked and my hammer is still open, some Zoas are open, pulsing Xenia is pulsing, so looking better than almost everything closed up after overdosing.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done, you did correct tank CPR, fast. i think its a sav, if I recall the highest od we saw where a wc wasnt even done, the tank (sps) was just left to deal with it and see what happens, was about 5 mils per 10 gals vol

now more interestingly we had one person buy 35% h202 and dose it into a problem tank from a *top drip* kent feeder

somehow during a single night it dumped a huge reservoir into the tank all at once, of 35%, maybe a gallon into a 100 gallon tank iirc

it was coral nuke

some still survived, and the tank didnt even recycle but there were notable loss of corals. that was amazing to show the resiliency of our filtration bacteria

the number one thing anyone would assume to be the weakest is proving by repeated anecdote to not be

I dont know the range at which we would get consistent ammonia or nitrite readings by dosing peroxide even by accident, nobody has ever established that. playing in undocumented territory we are.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had zero idea what would happen or if that was a big enough OD to worry about. I figured pulling the corals was a safer bet than waiting to see. I pulled my larger green Monti cap but left a smaller red Monti in. Will see how the red does. The rest in the tank is still looking okay.

I'm mixing a batch of water and will do another 15g later today. Will probably do more tomorrow.

Stupid me jumping in before really paying total attention.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still this will be a valuable contribution to peroxide search returns, what happens on occasional overdoses, how predictable the outcome is vs dosage and tank inhabitants, and what to do when pretty much any chemical accident occurs.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give a challenge for where it won't work though vs liquid dosing

Do you have any threads where bryopsis was cured, or invasive dinos was treated with an oxydator before and after pics

They work well for cyano,gha and clear water but some invaders need the burn
Link any bryopsis oxyd cures if you know of any

Price is a consideration, space taken up in small tanks but I agree the lighter action of the oxydator is preferable as long as cyano and gha are the considerations

If threads with before and after pics can be found of an oxydator fixing invasive macro, or any brush algae, or bubble algae, I'd agree an oxydator is safer and can be kept with delicate shrimp unlike liquid dosing in many cases

Last edited:

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a second 15g water change late yesterday afternoon and out everything back in a little later. What had been left in the tank seemed okay, so I figured why not. I woke up this morning and everything seems okay.

I'm not sure if it is coincidental or due to the big water change, but my Duncan's look better than ever and a couple of my Zoas do too. I'm not obsessive about tank parameters as long as everything looks healthy and is growing (which it was), so maybe something was a little off and the water changes brought it back closer to ideal?

I'm dosing again in a bit. Had my coffee, learned my lesson and it's on to day 2 now...

Canitolindo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried this many times on numerous tanks and has worked well for me. Do so with caution and a lot of researching. I've heard of many unsuccessful stories before

Canitolindo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive lost some snails and hermits and a fish due to lack of knowledge when I was dosing peroxide but did more researching followed the best method and successfully fought dinos

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will dosing this harm clams? Anyone tried dosing peroxide who had clams in there system

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are only one off reports, clams are not consistently sensitive. it takes a while to comb through all the pics, but any of the big peroxide threads have some tanks with clams where the keeper was using the 1 ml to 10 gallons dosage

sometimes you dont have to contact the clam, there are posters who lift up the clam if it can be unseated and expose only the shell, applying with a wet paper towel dab or q tip, many creative ways exist to lessen the risk. the are several before and after shots however of full exposure to the 1:10 and clams are not repeatably sensitive. lysmata are

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this for a week and did not notice much difference. I kept lights on, so maybe that hurt my results. Some of my Zoas seemed to like it after they opened back up... my fish did not seem to mind... crabs and various snails all still alive. My Monti caps did not seem to mind either and those were the corals that I was initially worried about.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back