Zoa Dip - Hydrogen Peroxide?

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, sometimes they blister up.... It did that last time on my Sourapples , they close for a couple weeks after that treatment and blister up. after that they're back to their usual. I had some type of clear feathery type fungus starting to appear on them. Furan2 didn't do the job so I did the peroxide treatment. Haven't seen it since and the SourApples looking real good now. I've also used this treatment on PE's as well. Im trying it on polyp pinching to see if it helps, right now when I have some polyps pinching bad, they usually don't make it on me. I've since started dipping the polyps in peroxide and it's lengthening its longevity but still pinching a little but not as bad.

badger126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I know this thread is a bit old but I'm looking into the HP dip since I have a frag of PE zoas that have been closed up for a couple weeks. I don't want to lose them! I've been dosing Vit C now for like a week and a half and it hasn't really helped so I'm looking into alternative measures. I can't see any fungus, but cyano has grown over them a few times and I've just blown it off. Other than that they're just closed polyps. It seems the base of the stalk is all skinny with the zoa making a bigger bulge at the top. Will a HP dip help with this at all?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey I know this thread is a bit old but I'm looking into the HP dip since I have a frag of PE zoas that have been closed up for a couple weeks. I don't want to lose them! I've been dosing Vit C now for like a week and a half and it hasn't really helped so I'm looking into alternative measures. I can't see any fungus, but cyano has grown over them a few times and I've just blown it off. Other than that they're just closed polyps. It seems the base of the stalk is all skinny with the zoa making a bigger bulge at the top. Will a HP dip help with this at all?

I would first try a lugols dip, or a revive dip or series of dips, maybe put them in a little more flow area.
If you have already tried other dips then give the HP a try. I've used HP dips using 30% HP to 70% tank water for a minute to two minutes.
After the dip rinse in tank water really good, and even hold the frag in front of a powerhead to make sure all HP is off the polyps

badger126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used other dips, but I really don't want to order anything and you can't get lugols or coral revive around here anywhere. I've heard that the marine melafix dip doesn't work very well either. Have you used the HP dip before to remedy similar situations?

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best dip going right now is the new Fauna Marine Ultra Pest dip. You can find it at CherryCorals.com Recently I've heard people and their speculation that Revive has contributed to excessive algae growth particularly on frag plugs.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping it up for discussion/linking purposes.

Dallaswinefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a noob, and after having read this thread and a couple others, it seems to me that there is some confusion regarding the ratio and dilution of the dip. I think I've got it straight, but I want to make sure (and help others be sure) because I'm going to dip a zoa cluster in about 1 minute that I love and I absolutely do not want to hurt it (diatom outbreak).

Ratio. 9 parts fresh RODI water to 1 part 3% HP solution. Not tank water, not straight HP.

If I'm wrong, I hope someone lets me know immediately! :D

Dallaswinefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did exactly that and didn't see any bubbles. I'll wait a couple days and try it again, using the "add HP until it bubbles" idea instead of 9 to 1.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you using iodine... did you just use normal Iodine or is it something fancy?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a noob, and after having read this thread and a couple others, it seems to me that there is some confusion regarding the ratio and dilution of the dip. I think I've got it straight, but I want to make sure (and help others be sure) because I'm going to dip a zoa cluster in about 1 minute that I love and I absolutely do not want to hurt it (diatom outbreak).

Ratio. 9 parts fresh RODI water to 1 part 3% HP solution. Not tank water, not straight HP.

If I'm wrong, I hope someone lets me know immediately! :D
All I did was fill up a Tupperware container 60% tank water 40%H²O²(3% hydrogen peroxide) and put it in the mix. Took a spoon and swirled it around slowly for 4 minutes. Pulled it out of the dip and put it in another container with tank water. Swished it around. Threw it back in the tank. It was a Rasta zoanthid. Think it had about 15 then about 2 or 3 months ago. Now I have 37 and just made 2 frags of it today. Takes about 2 or 3 days for the algae to go away and my polyps opened up the next day.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is hard to find consistent information. From reading many threads (2018) my conclusion was;

Buy Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (HP) solution - from any supermarket/pharmacy etc.

Mix 1 part HP : 1 part Tank Water for 30 to 60 seconds for Zoanthids
Mix 1 part HP : 2 part Tank Water for 30 to 60 seconds for Acans

SPS\Montipora\Chalice etc - hate it don't use

Only good Youtube I could find. It says 1 part HP 0 water (no dilution) and 2 minutes which is far more aggressive than any posts/forums -

I'll play it safer with 1:1 for 60 seconds I think, then turn up the intensity until I get the desired results

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soooo.... i’m a little late finding this thread. 2 weeks ago i dipped some zoas to get rid of some algy that had been bothering them growing on the plug. info i got from a good ol fashion google search was 1 part 3% hp to 4 parts tank water for 5-10 min. i think i left them in there closer to 15 min.... got distracted by the kidos. heck could of been 20 min idk.... did this to 5 plugs 3 of witch being salted agavas, psychedelics, and white walkers. THEY HAVE YET TO OPEN BACK UP. they are not melted looking just closed. can o do anything to help them or am i just stuck playing the waiting game?

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the weekend I tried;

Mix 1 part 3% HP : 1 part Tank Water for 60 seconds for Zoanthids
Mix 1 part 3% HP : 2 part Tank Water for 60 seconds for Acans

For the Zoa's, it turned most of them into white mush which scrubbed straight off (I'm assuming they were dead/melted anyway) and the others that didn't melt opened up the next day for the first time in nearly 2 weeks. The algae didn't really die off either. The Acan loved the dip but again the algae didn't die off. So I'm assuming that 60 seconds isn't enough when 50% diluted.

Next test I'm going to try undiluted for 2 minutes like in the youtube I posted above, but for both zoa and acan I'm only going to dip 10% of the coral into the solution in case it nukes them. I'm also going to test 1:1 for 2 mins, 3 mins etc. until I find the sweet spot

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Zoas and the Acan 'survived' undiluted 3% HP for 2 minutes. Much more lethal than hydrogen peroxide I found was the toothbrush. I also attempted to clear the nuisance algae of the frag plug of more valuable Zoa's with a toothbrush (super gentle) and 3 days later they are still closed up. So I'm a big fan of HP

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now used a dip of 1 part 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (HP) with 1 part tank water for exactly 2 minutes on ten plus Zoa frags with no issues at all. The frag plugs with 1 or 2 polyps really struggle when the nuisance algae builds around them before the dip. Even better than HP I've found is I moved a bunch of baby Trochus snails into my frag tank and each night they relentlessly clean all the frag plugs to perfection

RyanS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great method.

I'll go into detail about how we do it up here in Toronto;

I am a BIG proponent of using peroxide as a means to disinfect colonies of zoas and palys. More so, I use peroxide as a preventative measure when acquiring new pieces, regardless of whether they show signs of disease of not.

I use a ratio of 1:10 (peroxide: RO+DI water). The colony will sit in the solution for at least 5 to 10 minutes (lots of bubbles will form). The colony is then given one full day of rest (low light, and medium, indirect flow) and the dip is done again. This will go on for maybe 2 to 3 dips, all within the span of a week.

IMO, there's no need to get down and dirty with a paint brush or tweezers....the peroxide solution reaches all these parts, and then some.....plus a quick shake of the colony in a separate container will dislodge most crap stuck in the deep reaches of the coenechyme.

Lugol's, by contrast, is much more deadly when NOT properly administered, thus I ONLY use it when I deem the peroxide to be ineffective (due to a serious outbreak or injury). That being said, I rarely use Lugol's; peroxide has worked WONDERS for me just on it's own.

HTH

Zach
Not tank water + peroxide? Straight RODI and peroxide?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will algae start growing over zoas when they are sick or not happy? I've been having that problem with a few different zoas, and came here to find a dip.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back