Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 28

The fish I've been waiting for so long, those fish were my plan since the beginning, cost my an arm but got them.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to eat so that is scary.

Are they eating now? Looked like they liked the copepods

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they eating now? Looked like they liked the copepods
You will see next week ;) , something unexpected happen, I'm finishing the video at the moment we speak.
Btw is there a way to hide your signature (on my side) it's super distractive, I have that feature on nano-reef.com but I don't know about R2R?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see next week ;) , something unexpected happen, I'm finishing the video at the moment we speak.
Btw is there a way to hide your signature (on my side) it's super distractive, I have that feature on nano-reef.com but I don't know about R2R?
I deleted the signature, I never see it. And you're the third person to say that it's too distracting.

Liking your videos, keep up the great work my fellow Canadian Reefer
canadian flag fan GIF by MLB

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 30

You have no idea how much I hated doing this video.
But, I felt it was my duty to do so and helpfully by sharing my experience it will help others.

This video broke my momentum so much, usually, I have videos in advance but... not anymore, I haven't made any video since 1-2 weeks.

To be clear, I haven't seen my Wheeleri eating directly but I saw some "dust", it went fast during the morning.
I'm not 100% sure it's him/them, I simply highly assume it's him with because of the footage I shared.
I can't see the other, I search but nothing, so I think they are both gone.

That lost really terrifying me, I'm disappointed by myself, I wish I knew about that, even if they didn't seem to eat.
But like the Glass, got some scratch but I keep being transparent.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 31

The rock at the back need to be filled and I thought mushrooms were the best coral to be there since it's very shallow.I might add more along the way, love the variety!

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 32

Well, mushrooms is some sort of a drug and addictive, people were right!
I just love so much the color variation, starting to fill up the space, but not all mushrooms get attached easily, so I tried something new, not sure if it will work or not Hmmm.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 33

This video summarize a little bit the fun I have with reef aquarium, there's a fine balance of such a small ecosystem making it fun to observe and learning, discovering every day new things along the challenge :)

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 34

So many things is happening with this reef tank, taking care of it, adding 2 new corals, bacterial infection, new hitchhiker, it was a very interesting last few days, very entertaining :)

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 35

The end of the competition is very near, I'm super late, (probably the latest), so I'm trying to get back and accelerate my vision of this aquarium, I have more to come, and I'm pleased so far.

I do not fear Xenia :p

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 36

Little by little I make some tweak to my scape I this is how I do it :)

The shots where I take my rock out of the water had to be super synchronized:
- Prepare the dipping for the coral but add the water in the very last seconds
- Prepare the two angle for the camera so you can see a bit, and I can also to my scape without the cam in the way
- Dip the coral and watch for hitchhiker
- Close the coral polyps to avoid tearing the tissue when it's in the air
- Avoid any water on the cam with my hand (use 2 wipes)
- Change the angle/tripod of the cam
- Break the coral by piece for my needs and glue it as fast as I can
- Remove the shells in the sand (my sand is clean in general)
- put back the rock

I was a little stressed to do it with the cam but it turns out to be fine, all this in less than 15minutes.

I don't like to take the rock out of the aquarium but I couldn't make it work with the 5cm space I had, it was too difficult.
There's more coral to come, you can see on the thumbnail and the last shot, it's a very intense moment the last 2 weeks of this competition for me with Youtube and document everything at the same times, but my vision is slowly getting there, piece by piece, keeping the cherry for last.

More to come!

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 37

Shaping my aquarium piece by piece, the cyano is very present, the dino seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with cyano, I want to give time to the macrobacter7 to work a bit, my biggest concern is about food import. It does not establish yet and I have one more coral that might unbalance this aquarium at this level, so this will be something to check for.
Would love to hear people confirm/unconfirmed if the babies are trochus.

Caulastrea corals are really cool, found new variant. perfect for nano and not very aggressive

It's getting there, working very hard lately with this aquarium the workload of videos.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 38

This is my last pack of corals before the end of this contest. It is a risky move since I will try some fresh zoa and see how my sexy shrimps react. I found some beautiful sarcophyton along the way also, very curious how it will look in the future!

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC03519.jpg

Added this little fella yesterday coming from an anemone I bought, came with from another reefer.
My heart broke when I separated this symbiosis but it's for the best (ain't putting anemone in this nano!)

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Episode 39

All my reef career I avoided this coral, NPS Coral are the most prestigious animal you can have in a reef aquarium (in my opinion). Always been scared to not be able to take care of them, but the wait is over, I felt ready enough after reading and watching the experience of others.

Since the very beginning, this was my plan, the open space I left in front of my tank was for him. I waited all this time to make sure my aquarium is mature enough and could handle a heavier feeding.

Coincidentally, I have cyanobacteria, I (was) lacking of phosphate, so I believe this could be a 1 rock 2 bird situation, will see.

For the feeding, I'm using @polyplab since I know my LFS @ragingreef uses this along with other things. I mixed with @faunamarin phytoplankton and @reeffrenzy

I waited some weeks before publishing this video, was hoping to film the bright yellow polyps for this episode but it's taking longer than expected. It's getting there, just not for this video

This is my first baby step into NPS coral world, one day I hope to make a project with them, but I go step by step, slowly but surely

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So here the final pictures before the end of the competition. This has been a very awesome project to do, I have more to come with my final vision, there's a reason why Groot is here .

This nano reef competition series on YouTube has been very, very fun to document. Each* action I took during that time has been recorded, it took time to edit but I think we can appreciate how fun is to watch a reef aquarium growing with its own little challenge here and there.

I learn many things with this adventure and I'm looking forward to the interaction between the corals.

There's as been 67 participants to this competition on nano-reef.com, we are down at 17 for the final voting.

The votes are split into 3 categories: best Theme, best Aquascape, best DIY

Check below for the link, please don't vote for me because you follow me, go read the thread of the participants, its very interesting and there's some kick-butt reef tank in that list!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back