‘Rainbow Bottom’ Anemones are like Nothing We’ve Ever Seen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I saw some one post some specifics on these Nems, they’re from Japan, unless from Okinawa or south, probaly temperate, better buy a chiller for these

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby a long time.....I remember well the days when wetwebmedia would scold newcomers purchasing animals they knew nothing about. I am all for the increased popularity of our hobby but I am not one for the irresponsible buying and likely killing of these beautiful sea creatures. Some folks complain about the "Tang Police"- well at the pace that buying and selling of animals that we know little about or worse- know they will not survive is taking, we need a "reef police"

....and we wonder why there are more and more bans?!!

disappointing :(

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe they are trying to host clowns in these. That is like trying to naturalize polar bears in the Amazon rainforest. This proves what I suspected. These Uber retailers are strictly out to hype things up for the $$$. These anemones are far from rare and couldn’t be more inappropriate for a reef tank.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe they are trying to host clowns in these. That is like trying to naturalize polar bears in the Amazon rainforest. This proves what I suspected. These Uber retailers are strictly out to hype things up for the $$$. These anemones are far from rare and couldn’t be more inappropriate for a reef tank.

I agree, it’s shameful and downright irresponsible of the wholesalers bringing these to the market. I find it amazing that these people get away with this but like most hobbies so many people come and go that there is always a green hobbyist to take advantage of. But unlike golf or biking where the custom ping clubs or trek bike are at least quality products, in this hobby what’s being sold is a poor animal ripped from the ocean and sent to its doom halfway across the world...

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it’s shameful and downright irresponsible of the wholesalers bringing these to the market. I find it amazing that these people get away with this but like most hobbies so many people come and go that there is always a green hobbyist to take advantage of. But unlike golf or biking where the custom ping clubs or trek bike are at least quality products, in this hobby what’s being sold is a poor animal ripped from the ocean and sent to its doom halfway across the world...

I think it is irresponsible at multiple levels

Buyer
Seller
Article Writer
Forum

xIHA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Mysterious new anemone" seems sketchy AF. I have lost most of my respect for Jake Adams as a trust-worthy source for reefing news. I own one of these anemones and i feel that they are not suitable for our tropical reef aquariums very irresponsible thing for such a well known figure in the reefing world..

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Mysterious new anemone" seems sketchy AF. I have lost most of my respect for Jake Adams as a trust-worthy source for reefing news. I own one of these anemones and i feel that they are not suitable for our tropical reef aquariums very irresponsible thing for such a well known figure in the reefing world..

That’s because they aren’t. The are a primarily carnivorous anemone that can be found across the northern pacific up to and including the Aleutian Islands and into the Bering sea...

xIHA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because they aren’t. The are a primarily carnivorous anemone that can be found across the northern pacific up to and including the Aleutian Islands and into the Bering sea...

Yeah i did a very very quick google search and found out that most of these are from shallow rock pools in the southern part of Japan meaning that they are mostly found in sub-tropical and borderline temperate climates. If only Jake Adams took all of 10 seconds to google it. But he doesn't care since these companies are paying him big bucks to shill their unhealthy practices.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anger/frustration is misguided.. it’s a bit harsh to bash a writer who is simply updating the reefing community on a new species being introduced to the reefing world. I’ve read his article several times, and in no way has he encouraged people to go out and buy them. He’s simply informing us that this new anemone was coming. He even writes how we know essentially nothing about them other than they look nice. I’ll admit, it might have been misguided to write that they enjoy “target feeding”, unless he has seen first hand these anemones do this, but that’s the only thing I’ve seen in his article that might be assumed.
Yes there is a short plug in there about ACI and a limited supply, but that’s not necessarily him telling you to go out and get one..... he’s simply answering a question that 80-95% of the readers want to know.... where can you get them, how hard are they to get?
I’m not one for conflict and I’m not writing this to call anyone out. I just think your experience with these anemones is so much more valuable than simply trashing Jake Adams who basically wrote a short, neutral and basic article on the introduction of these species to the aquarium trade.
Tell us about your experience, the good the bad, what went wrong, how the anemone faired in your tank, was it dangerous to other animals, did it target feed, etc... help us understand why we should or shouldn’t buy one of these anemones and why they are not ready for the aquarium trade if that’s what you believe.
The last thing I’ll say, is that we are all responsible for what we put in our tanks. If you don’t know what something is, or the requirements for the animal, it shouldn’t be purchased or be put at risk. I too wanted one of these anemones, who wouldn’t. They are different and unique, and may end up being the next reefing craze if they do well. But I didn’t spend the $300-500 on one because of Jakes article informing me that we basically know nothing about them.

xIHA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anger/frustration is misguided.. it’s a bit harsh to bash a writer who is simply updating the reefing community on a new species being introduced to the reefing world. I’ve read his article several times, and in no way has he encouraged people to go out and buy them. He’s simply informing us that this new anemone was coming. He even writes how we know essentially nothing about them other than they look nice. I’ll admit, it might have been misguided to write that they enjoy “target feeding”, unless he has seen first hand these anemones do this, but that’s the only thing I’ve seen in his article that might be assumed.
Yes there is a short plug in there about ACI and a limited supply, but that’s not necessarily him telling you to go out and get one..... he’s simply answering a question that 80-95% of the readers want to know.... where can you get them, how hard are they to get?
I’m not one for conflict and I’m not writing this to call anyone out. I just think your experience with these anemones is so much more valuable than simply trashing Jake Adams who basically wrote a short, neutral and basic article on the introduction of these species to the aquarium trade.
Tell us about your experience, the good the bad, what went wrong, how the anemone faired in your tank, was it dangerous to other animals, did it target feed, etc... help us understand why we should or shouldn’t buy one of these anemones and why they are not ready for the aquarium trade if that’s what you believe.
The last thing I’ll say, is that we are all responsible for what we put in our tanks. If you don’t know what something is, or the requirements for the animal, it shouldn’t be purchased or be put at risk. I too wanted one of these anemones, who wouldn’t. They are different and unique, and may end up being the next reefing craze if they do well. But I didn’t spend the $300-500 on one because of Jakes article informing me that we basically know nothing about them.

Yeah i admit that I was being a little brash but I think that instead of writing these enticing articles that encourage/condone the sale of such a new and unknown species being sold at such ridiculous prices. He should have given a moment to find out more about them and advice people on the proper care of such a delicate species

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i did a very very quick google search and found out that most of these are from shallow rock pools in the southern part of Japan meaning that they are mostly found in sub-tropical and borderline temperate climates. If only Jake Adams took all of 10 seconds to google it. But he doesn't care since these companies are paying him big bucks to shill their unhealthy practices.

I agree, Jake hocking new products in exchange for a bit of cash is fine. Hocking for livestock wholesalers without knowing a lick about the animal in question is certainly irresponsible by Jake as a leading voice in our hobby and personally I feel should be a criminal offense for the wholesaler (not Jake). IMO the regulations governing the animal trade need to be updated in a similar manner to the doctor patient relationship was under EMTALA. It should be the responsibility of licensed wholesalers under the law to responsibly disseminate information to consumers in an informed consent like manner. These are living animals and clearly the machinations of capitalism can’t be trusted to police itself in this instance...

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen look alike in Chinese forum, of similar morphology but green in color, which are quite common in northern part of China. I would bet they live in colder water

It is just a different color morph of the lime green version you note. Scientific name is Anthopleura fuscoviridis

xIHA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.topshelfaquatics.com/product/rainbow-bottom-anemone/

As another member has linked to this blog by another member has shared, they come from a part of Japan where(after 1 minute of research) temperatures are consistently below 20°C/68°F which is far below what most reefers keep their reef tanks at. And they seem to rely heavily on feeding as they do not contain as much zooxanthellae as most other corals.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these at reef currents in Houton a couple of weeks back... very cool! They are available here in town now.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are clearly misguided and perhaps new to the hobby?

Jake gets a commission on these nems and other products he "writes" about. That is why vendors are linking his "article" when advertising on r2r.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back