‘Rainbow Bottom’ Anemones are like Nothing We’ve Ever Seen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw a bunch of these at my LFS for $300. About 20% of them had tentacles out - the rest didn't look so hot.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TRIGGER SHARKFIST

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years ago certain cold water Atlantic Anemones were sold in England for the tropical reef tank.

I bought one or two myself. They died within days.

Don't see them for sale anymore which is great.

Metal_Angler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something Fishy And Top Shelf has them!? I'm seeing them in person before the end of the week! lol
Anybody know their price tag, by chance?

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are clearly misguided and perhaps new to the hobby?

Jake gets a commission on these nems and other products he "writes" about. That is why vendors are linking his "article" when advertising on r2r.

Not new to the hobby, and you missed the point entirely. I’m not naive, I realize he gets a commission... how else is he able to travel the world, scuba dive and write articles about this great hobby while still making a living.
The original post was about frustration, probably from a bad outcome with one of these anemones, and money down the drain...
The point about my post was that it seems unreasonable to be mad at the writer of an article, who states in his article we know essentially nothing about these anemones. That’s a huge red flag right there. I wouldn’t recommend buying anything or putting anything in your tank without research, and especially if it’s a new an unknown species. If you bought one of these anemones your either ignorant and didn’t do proper research, or you were ok with spending the money and taking a chance that you could keep one successfully, and are willing to accept the loss if it doesn’t do well. Essentially acting as a pioneer for these new anemones.
I just don’t think bashing the guy is the right thing to do. Man up, accept that you took a risk, and report back to the reefing community what your experience was... that’s much more valuable than trashing Jake Adams.
I’d love for the guy/girl who started this thread to tell us why he/she is upset and even start a thread on these rainbow bottom anemones and what there experience was/is. I really wanted one of these nems too, but I held off because there was no experience with them and I wasn’t willing to risk $300-500. But that’s not my business if others want to spend the money and take a risk. In fact I’m glad some did, and now i hope they start threads and update the community on whether these belong in the hobby...

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these would survive in warm reef tanks has anyone ever considered why they aren’t found there? The whole debate just points out how truly ignorant and absurd this hobby has gotten. If some doofus with a computer says it’s good and sells it for $500 than it must be epic. Boys and girls, these animals ARE NOT NEW. These are living things that have been on earth for thousands, if not millions of years. It’s all gotten way out of hand and there are an unbelievable amount of people that are buying into this crap. Naming corals? Claiming a new species for yourself and having the arrogance to name it?! How bout buying a gallon of rainbow water from me, it’s a new water made from unicorn pee? I found it and it’s named after me, only $400 per gallon. Say what you will about Jake and all the peddlers, but if you believe anything they say then you are a moron.

GoldenGirlsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 5 months now and is doing great. I've noticed it does bury itself in the sand. Similar to a tube anemone and after eating (hand fed once a week) will disappear completely in the sand. My jawfish, mandarin, and pipefish all have swam through it, laid on it, with no stings at all. Fish don't react to swimming it it so not sure how strong stingers are. It does say cooler temps but mine enjoys a 76-77° more than the cooler 72° which I've read. So far so good. The base and foot of body is never exposed which is a shame but still a beautiful anemone.
IMG_20190812_181226779.jpg

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 5 months now and is doing great. I've noticed it does bury itself in the sand. Similar to a tube anemone and after eating (hand fed once a week) will disappear completely in the sand. My jawfish, mandarin, and pipefish all have swam through it, laid on it, with no stings at all. Fish don't react to swimming it it so not sure how strong stingers are. It does say cooler temps but mine enjoys a 76-77° more than the cooler 72° which I've read. So far so good. The base and foot of body is never exposed which is a shame but still a beautiful anemone.
IMG_20190812_181226779.jpg
Do you still have this same ano

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, this thread, I honestly had forgotten about this debate and these anemones being kept in reef systems. So here we go, who still has them?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and purchased the purple haddoni carpet they had on DD for 20 percent off.

Read up on Ciprofloxacin treatments for anemones, it's quite helpful.

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up on Ciprofloxacin treatments for anemones, it's quite helpful.
THANK YOU for the extra info!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back