“Bah” The Copperband Butterfly, still kicking since April 2020

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 4 or maybe 5 years now, no issues at all. I have read that they don't typically last beyond 5-8 years no matter what you do, but we'll see.

I saw a pair of these guys when snorkeling in Malaysia and they were massive - a foot long including the nose and tail. The fact that they don't get this big in captivity suggests food and/or water quality issues. If you keep an SPS tank, you don't need to worry about water quality, so that just leaves food.

I QT'd in hypo. White spots appeared - lympho, not ich - I am 100% sure due to the salinity being too low for ich. The fish was QT'd by itself in a 90 gallon tank with very low lighting. I hand fed it clams on the half shell - offered for a few days without interest and I would remove the clam to avoid fouling the water. Eventually it started eating.

I did not dose prazi or other meds as I saw no symptoms of parasites.

After a month, I raised the salinity over the course of a week, still offering clams from my hand a couple times a day. I then moved him to my main tank, which was at the time 125 gallons. I would not try to keep this fish (or a dragonet) in any tank smaller than that, they need to pick at pods all day. I now have a 220, and it seems to produce enough pods for a couple dragonets as well as the copperband. The lympho disappeared 2 days after moving him to the main tank and has never reappeared. I have seen the occasional nipped fin, but it always heals within a day or so.

I continued to hand feed him clams on the half shell daily to make sure he had enough to eat. I got pretty good at holding the clam with two fingers and using the other fingers to flick my clowns on the nose to keep them from stealing it.

I did once try to feed him flake food from my hand, and he took the flake, but immediately spit it out and - I swear - gave me the most reproachful look I have ever seen in a fish. After 6 months or so I realized I could feed whole clams every other day instead, because his nose could fit through the gap in the shell, allowing him to eat while the other fish could not. This strategy may have worked from the beginning, it just never occurred for me to try it...

He has done a great job with aiptasia control, and never touched any corals or clams. I couldn't ask for a more interesting fish.

I think I paid $25 for him, but it seems the times have changed with regards to pricing. When I lose this guy in a few years, I will pick up another one in a heartbeat. Next time, I might spring for one of the Australian ones from LiveAquaria that come around every once in a while. They are not cheap, but if I have a reasonable chance of keeping a fish alive for years, spending a few extra bucks to have a better chance of success is reasonable.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had my cbb for roughly 8 months. It took days before it would take prepared frozen foods. It kept grazing on live rock, ate all my hitch hiker feather dusters. I had 1 I really liked. I knew it was going to happen though. Around day 6 or 7. The cbb, I caught her eating poop from my 1 spot foxface. o_O

After that ate every thing I dropped into the water. Including coral frags. I had to be quick on placement.

A month after I got my cbb. Yes, late at night. But fish pictures were and still are difficult to get.
fishpack 03.jpg
Cbb and fox hung out a lot. Fox had to get a new home. Zoa eater.

A few days ago. not my best photo, I was trying to get a pic of my red shroom back there. This was a photo bomb.
cbb new.jpg
I love this fish. If I had to pick between corals or the fish. I might just let the coral go. She did put me in that spot. She was nipping at my green trachy. Eventually she stopped.

cbb and fox.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for my CBB to eat prepared foods , had it for two weeks just recently started eating the aptasia after eating all the feather dusters lol

Attachments

• B6181A47-D5C0-411E-A625-DC9915BBB6E2.jpeg
    B6181A47-D5C0-411E-A625-DC9915BBB6E2.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 39

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my cbb for roughly 8 months. It took days before it would take prepared frozen foods. It kept grazing on live rock, ate all my hitch hiker feather dusters. I had 1 I really liked. I knew it was going to happen though. Around day 6 or 7. The cbb, I caught her eating poop from my 1 spot foxface. o_O

After that ate every thing I dropped into the water. Including coral frags. I had to be quick on placement.

A month after I got my cbb. Yes, late at night. But fish pictures were and still are difficult to get.
fishpack 03.jpg
Cbb and fox hung out a lot. Fox had to get a new home. Zoa eater.

A few days ago. not my best photo, I was trying to get a pic of my red shroom back there. This was a photo bomb.
cbb new.jpg
I love this fish. If I had to pick between corals or the fish. I might just let the coral go. She did put me in that spot. She was nipping at my green trachy. Eventually she stopped.

cbb and fox.jpg
She’s beautiful, looks fat too which is a good sign.

Still waiting for my CBB to eat prepared foods , had it for two weeks just recently started eating the aptasia after eating all the feather dusters lol
That’s a start, I always prefer to start my finicky fish off in a tank with some nice seeded rock that has what they eat in the wild in a large number.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s beautiful, looks fat too which is a good sign.

That’s a start, I always prefer to start my finicky fish off in a tank with some nice seeded rock that has what they eat in the wild in a large number.
About to start shaking my chaeto from sump for the pods lol , most picky fish I’ve had so far , won’t even do clam on half shell

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start shaking my chaeto from sump for the pods lol , most picky fish I’ve had so far , won’t even do clam on half shell
I’d say that’s good haha, only because then you may know your chances of if you ever want to keep a clam with that CBB are going to be a higher success than fail.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe US&A people make a mistake by trying to feed mysis to this fish (and feeding brine shrips is like feeding water to CBB).. whilst mine would eat mysis and other small frozen foods - I don't think it's anywhere near enough nutricious.

Mine eats a whole (fairly large) mussel/day or alternatively 2 small clams (depending on what I have in stock frozen). I also agree with no need for flow adjustment - it's such a manoverable/strong fish that strong flow only does good to it. I never turn the flow down, even during feeding.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha this is true , I do want a clam front and center
my clam growing out is going to be interesting, I have hopes that after I’ve heard two experiences of a CBB not going for a clam that it’ll be alright once it’s larger.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost this one, she was about 10 years old.

She died of a weird neurological condition where she couldn't see straight so couldn't get food into her mouth.
This is her before she died when she was having trouble eating. She wanted to eat just lost her aim.

Here she is much younger before the neurological problem.

I am not sure why so many people have problems with these fish but Ii think quarantine or medication has something to do with it. They hate that. :rolleyes:

I have been keeping these since the 70s.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She died of a weird neurological condition where she couldn't see straight so couldn't get food into her mouth.
This is her before she died when she was having trouble eating. She wanted to eat just lost her aim.

I am not sure why so many people have problems with these fish but Ii think quarantine or medication has something to do with it. They hate that. :rolleyes:

She was beautiful - I also agree I think it’s something to do with QT as neither of mine went through it and both thrived (Until the first attempt was murdered by a scopas that is).

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was from Australia and I have found those ones seem to be harder to get feeding, I say this as most CBBs that came in and weren’t eating at my LFS were part of an Australian shipment. The ones that did eat were often either extremely young specimens that had yet to have adapted to a wild diet or were from Malaysia/Indonesia.
“Kids” they’ll eat anything! Good insight.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Kids” they’ll eat anything! Good insight.
Haha, they do. I saw this .5” Australian CBB and he would eat everything. The 3” Australian CBB right next to him wouldn’t eat anything. If I had a spare 4’ tank, I’d love to try an experiment and see if the Malaysian/Indonesian CBBs eat better or get eating better than the Australians do.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Worth their weight in “gold torches” ha ha. Just weeks after purchasing Bah, I had absolutely no Aptasias. Still don’t. Great fish!!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites. I got this one after the last one died. This is the only fish I have ever ordered on line. During Covid I couldn't get much.
If you don't quarantine or medicate them they should have no trouble eating. In the sea they eat worms and I give mine live worms a few times a week because copperbands and all other fish need live bacteria in their guts.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine begging for breakfast. Have only had it 2 months but it eats well and is very active. The only other fish in the tank is a lawnmower blenny so there isn't competition for food. I feed PE mysis unrinsed, Hikari mysis, LRS reef frenzy, muscle and clam on half shell. I feed twice daily. It hasn't bothered any coral but I have had no zoas. I'd love to have it in my larger living room tank but wouldn't risk putting in in with my tangs, especially the purple bully. 20220621_094130.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back