“Bleach”. Am I missing something?

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching rock? I went to Lowe’s picked up closest thing I thought to being basic bleach EXCEPT it was splashless. Bleach used to be basic and contain 8% Sodium Hypochlorite. Now it’s been watered down in some cases to 3 percent and has all this “extra” stuff in it. Scents, thickening foaming agents etc.....
well what if we stop telling everyone to “bleach” their rock so that sooooooo many people don’t make the mistake many have made. What if we use term “Shock” the rock, and tell people to get a pool shock that contains 10% Sodium Hypochlorite and doesn’t have any other ingredients. That’s what I used instead of “bleach”. Sorry if I don’t post this in the right place.

78A39737-F229-4927-B84A-63AB6B5DE955.png 7F404D28-CEFB-4990-AF5A-92F1492B2E44.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a Calcium Hypochlorite also instead of Sodium poll shock which I can’t speak for. I’m talking about pool shocks that use main ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t bought normal bleach in years. I just buy a case of pool chlorine for everything. IMO normal bleach is just a waste of money.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find plain bleach at the dollar store. I used it and never had a problem. There are bleaches that have other ingredients like you say but there are also pool shock with other ingredients. If someone isn't smart enough not to buy lavender bleach they are not smart enough not to buy pool shock with 6in1 algaecide plus extra blue. If your goal is to make it simple just say use muriatic acid. Most bottles are just acid but even some of them have extra ingredients.

OP
OP
P

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t bought normal bleach in years. I just buy a case of pool chlorine for everything. IMO normal bleach is just a waste of money.
That’s what I thought. One thing I noticed though pool shock isn’t stabilized and better for our purpose. Some chlorine’s are stabilized with a acid which basically gives the chlorine a better ability not to be burned off by the sun as quick. Even though in the end with a dechlorinator or completely dried out chlorine would be fine eventually.

OP
OP
P

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find plain bleach at the dollar store. I used it and never had a problem. There are bleaches that have other ingredients like you say but there are also pool shock with other ingredients. If someone isn't smart enough not to buy lavender bleach they are not smart enough not to buy pool shock with 6in1 algaecide plus extra blue. If your goal is to make it simple just say use muriatic acid. Most bottles are just acid but even some of them have extra ingredients.
Good point. Maybe we can just all find something and stick to it. Lol. I do tooooons of research and conside myself semi smart. And it wasn’t easy finding just plain bleach. I went to Walmart. Lowe’s and another grocery store until I gave up and researched bleach ingredients and settled on the chlorinated liquid.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use pool Essentials chlorinating liquid.
It is higher concentrate at 10% Sodium Hypochlorite.

All the bleach around here is now splashless, scented or has colormax in it.. Clorox regular bleach has Colormax now and has a polymer in it or something.
I used to buy it at the dollar store too even though they are smaller bottles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Prinz55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pool Essentials chlorinating liquid.
It is higher concentrate at 10% Sodium Hypochlorite.

All the bleach around here is now splashless, scented or has colormax in it.. Clorox regular bleach has Colormax now and has a polymer in it or something.
I used to buy it at the dollar store too even though they are smaller bottles.
Yep I’m right there with you. Did acid bath 15 min, then Chlorinating liquid 2 days. Now drying completely maybe 3-5 days. It’s pretty hot where I’m at. Most of it should dissipate. Rest conditioner should get. Then ro bath and dechlorinator. And change every day until no trace chlorine

75716A8F-48B0-44B1-9338-7673D6F7C183.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back