“Food grade” DI Resin

Puopg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, though I’m not a reefer yet, I’ve been having fun using stuff from the reefing hobby but on my freshwater planted tank. First post!

Anyways I had a dumb question around RO/DI water and the DI resin. After reading a couple of posts, I came across this notion of “food grade” DI resin as a reason for the RODI water not being safe to consume.

My question is, if RODI water is essentially supposed to have nothing in it, why would the “grade” of the resin matter assuming it’s doing its job of removing stuff? It seems odd to me if there was a DI resin that I dunno leeched stuff into the product water during normal operation as that seems to be counterproductive to its purpose.

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
It just means that when they manufactured it they made the workers wash their hands after they used the restroom and maybe they wore latex gloves when they worked on the production line. Probably adds $2.00/lb to the wholesale cost.
The water we process from the tap is supposed to be safe to drink so as long as you wash your hands when you handle any di resin the water coming out of the spigot should be safe to drink. If you store it in a 55 gallon bucket like I do then you add another loci of possible contamination when you open the lid. Make sure you wear a mask or give the barrel a covid test if its warmer than usual...

Dad Be Safe GIF

OP
OP
Puopg

Puopg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha great, so sounds like in can drink this then. I wanna use the rodi water in my 50 gallon reservoir also for coffee since I’m gonna remineralize the water for da flavor haha

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory you can drink it just fine. Here is why I would not. One. Once your carbon filters remove the chlorine your opening yourself up to whatever infectious yuck can grow on the following filters, membrane etc. TWO. Taste... your RO will taste much better than your RO/DI.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha great, so sounds like in can drink this then. I wanna use the rodi water in my 50 gallon reservoir also for coffee since I’m gonna remineralize the water for da flavor haha
what would you re-add for taste? i use RO water for my tea and would love to know what flavors im missing out on :p

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add sodium chloride or mag chloride in small amounts. I would not suggest drinking RO or RODI alone. I have no idea if the tea helps it get "stuff" back in it again, but if not, it will take it out of your body. Read up on this if you do drink it and you will probably stop.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add sodium chloride or mag chloride in small amounts. I would not suggest drinking RO or RODI alone. I have no idea if the tea helps it get "stuff" back in it again, but if not, it will take it out of your body. Read up on this if you do drink it and you will probably stop.
if anyone else is curious, i found this: https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap12.pdf

basically it ***** with osmosis and ends up 'dehydrating' you by taking electrolytes out of your body at an increased rate. i think.

i only use it for tea, but it still may explain why im drinking so much water and still always thirsty... gonna swap to just using water that's been through sediment & carbon filters (aka an expensive brita filter) and report back. ^_^

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back