“High end sps”

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by chopsie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. chopsie

chopsie Valuable Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor

F0D01FEC-0338-4D77-8F1C-9668494386B4.jpeg Hi all

What determines a sps to be high end?
    The price which is paid or the beauty of the coral?
    I believe it’s a mugs game and only exists through greed, but that’s my opinion
    If nobody brought into the game which seems to be actinic shot led sps pictures would it be happening?
    Rant over lol

Tags:

2. ChiCity

ChiCity Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Zack K, BrotherSheepDog and chopsie like this.
  3. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm all for beautiful corals, but this "high end" craze has me feeling some kind of way these days. Is it part greed? Yea most likely and I don't fault vendors for trying to cash in, but not every acro is high end and requires a higher than normal asking price.

It's crazy that a few years ago a $100 frag was out of the question, but now that price point seems the norm and is sometimes considered cheap.

4. chopsie

I understand free market but I don’t understand price point or the value in nubs, sorry frags...
    The tenius for instance most people would of walked by it in a lfs a few years back...

5. chopsie

Totally agree
    Soon everything will be high end it will be mushrooms with deformed appearances next.... oh hang on a minute lol

I just wish some people would be honest with their purchases and stop trying to protect their investment sorry frags....nubs lol
    The amount of times I’ve seen posts regarding “post a picture under 10k”

6. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Man of Many Caves R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

The market sets the price. Sellers are just meeting the buy price. I do not think most sellers are greedy. On the contrary, some see the opportunity because the market currently seems to be growing.

7. chopsie

A 1” Frag of something that may not look as nice under what I would call day time lighting 10-20k for a $1000 is a ridiculous market obviously this is my opinion and I am also very happy for all those that buy in to it
    It’s just not my market,

8. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Man of Many Caves R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

It may be ridiculous but I think too many folks blame the sellers. It is almost always the buyers. They make the market demand for any product. If there are no buyers at a set price it will drop because people have living product to unload.

9. Chaswood79

Chaswood79 Active Member R2R Supporter

AFAF98AA-254B-4899-9FD6-4D95289E1376.jpeg Totally worth it

10. chopsie

May I ask what it is,and price?
    Also let’s see it under less blue, my teeth look ultra white under my actinic lighting but I can promise you that they are not lol

11. Chaswood79

Homewrecker from reefersdirect.com
    Lighting is a AI Hydra 52 at 18K.
    $600
    I don’t know or care what it looks like under 10,12, or even 14K bc those spectrums don’t look good to me. Pic is taken with my iPhone with an AquariClip.

12. Chaswood79

In person the color is even better and theres no blueish color background.

13. chopsie

$600!!!
    The usual reply I expected tbh
    How about taking a picture to show me what the frag looks like under 10k?

14. chopsie

Just a £30 Frag from my lfs 831018DA-834A-4F99-86C2-5C660A67211D.jpeg

15. larangcon

larangcon Valuable Member

It's rare to see these so called high end acro in the lfs, some of us do not know why or the reason only a fee vendors has these acros. I have visited a lot of lfs in my reefing years and I have not come upon or seen these infamous acros in regular stores, all you see are brown, green common acros, very rare to see a jawdropper, WD or even a fox flame, only the well known vendors has these in stock and it is expensive some are more than a months rent. Is it due to low supply, hard to find or maybe just plain who you know with special connections from wholesalers,maybe. Well I think most of us already know the answer to that question. Low supply high demand means higher cost and this is the reason why some of us will do anything to get our hands on these high end corals. Being able to brag or tease and say "I have it and you don't" it just makes us happy, does it? Am I right? It makes us happy right. Is it worth the cost. Some of you are saying right now, no; I don't agree, I'm in it for the hobby of keeping something wild alive in my living room, so I'm asking, but why are you paying for the asking price, or why are you dreaming or wishing you have that high end coral. It's because deep down inside you're thinking it's really the thrill of the hunt isn't it, like a big game hunter waiting for hours in the woods in the coldest weather just to bag that big prize of having the biggest hunt of your life or is it that feeling of the nervousness, sweaty palms, heart beating faster than leopard wrasse unable to sit still for a picture or those sleepless night just thinking and wishing only if you could save enough money, maybe skip a few hundred lunches at work, save that penny Johnny and maybe you will have enough to buy that quarter inch nub where you will need to buy a new microscope just to see that special unique colors in your tank. Imagine how you will take that picture from the top down, maybe from the side, adjusting the lens a thousand times to get that perfect blue fuzzy unable to really see what it is, but you just need to post it right away, might even be a double post but who cares, that special frag it's in your tank and you finally have it and to be able to brag to your friends (priceless) and to say that only a few has it and can afford it and now it's in your possession or is it just a dream wake up Johnny, but keep that dream alive keep thinking why not you. Well, anyone can have a reef tank with common corals, it's beautiful but that tank has nothing too special about it and its missing something, well like a trophy maybe. So whether you like it or not high-end corals will always be here and will always be a very big part of our hobby. So, just sit back and enjoy your expensive acro or as most of us normal reefers keep dreaming maybe someday you will win the lotto and that special high end acro will finally be in your tank.
    Just my two cents, everything in life is just a game, the outcome depends on how well you play the game.

16. Chaswood79

549AA565-3C3D-44EB-9497-1BBACEA811B2.jpeg 10k

17. Chaswood79

6BD9321D-57D1-4051-BD25-631A2B40452D.jpeg 12.5k

18. Chaswood79

26B5BF2B-59F2-4B9C-94BE-E3572FD0667F.jpeg 14k

19. Chaswood79

306EDBB5-EBCA-451D-8F47-1B47962FE753.jpeg 16.5k