“High end sps”

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by chopsie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo Member

If we as a nation stop buying gas for a day, see what happens to the market the next day and in the next few days gas $1.09. We should do the same with frags LOL.. Ahh I am sure it will never happen. Many people out there with deep pockets ;)

najer and chopsie like this.

2. chopsie

chopsie Valuable Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor

Deep pockets and under the illusion these are one off corals founded by the person who gave it the name

najer likes this.
  3. Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego Well-Known Member

The thing is Jason is trying to push a product, him telling everyone all of his corals have only ever seen blue light is a selling point. Weather or not it's true doesn't even really matter but I would care to bet almost every one of his corals have been grown in shallower water under normal reef lighting. Newer people who use leds for light probably look at that statement and feel much more comfortable buying.

Dank and 29bonsaireef like this.
  4. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

He came to ACC in NJ (if this is also where you are referring to) I also did not buy anything that day, I went just to see this stuff in person to compare to pictures online.

Gareth elliott likes this.
  5. eg8r210

eg8r210 Well-Known Member

This is just a politically correct way of calling him a liar.

Cnidoblast and landlubber like this.
  6. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Active Member

This is where i live too lol.

7. nashorn

nashorn Active Member

Lol...seems like when we talk about high price corals it always ends up in the same place.
    Corals are like models. They always look nicer in pictures.

Z3speed4me and Sense of nature like this.
  8. jda

jda Valuable Member

This has happened a few times since I have been in the hobby. The internet was not in full-force in 2004-2006, but prices got jacked up and the invent of most of the current "tech" and "supply" companies came out of this era and only the strong did survive. In 2007-2011, expensive frags got cheap again and every basement frag farmer/seller was selling their setups where you could CaRx setups for $100 and beautiful frag tanks complete for $250. Hobbyists who could barely afford the hobby in the boom were also selling nice livestock and dry goods for .20 on the dollar. I believe that we are coming out of another boom... so if you want the nice stuff, just save your cash and sit tight... they will be cheap soon enough.

If there is a downturn, then the discussions starts to become "why is nobody importing any more nice stuff" when the people who are surviving are barely doing so and cannot risk too much in the climate. Some people are just unhappy either way.

alton likes this.
  9. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

I agree to an extent; I think this hobby has absolutely exploded over the last 5 years or so and we will see some dust settle soon.
    All the players that are in the game long term, or even are the big spenders... have the stuff they want already. Laws of supply and demand may set in and some of this stuff that is priced up in the sky should begin to drop down so they can keep sales moving.

On that note;
    I also agree, but specifically based on corals that are heavily photoshopped and edited by sellers (just like models are). EVERYTHING I have ever bought from Unique Corals looks as good if not better than their photos so I trust what they post including their ebay sales that I typically try to snipe for a deal. I can say a very similar thing about WWC as well, as a majority of the items they openly advertise that photos may strictly be under actinic.

There are others however that make some stuff look like this thing was created in some lab via test tube to be the perfect example of coloration...meanwhile the guys thumb looks like you took a blue highlighter emitting radiation to it in the photo. Then you get it and its brown or just plain purple or green (oh its acclimation or stress) meanwhile it never looks like the photo even a year later... this is half the reason I went to see JF stuff in person to determine if the coolaid was real or fantasy.

OrlandoReefer likes this.
  10. jda

jda Valuable Member

I hope that I wrong, but most of my economic indicators are pointing south (these are usually right, but not always). I would buckle up for a slight downturn. If anybody is wanting stuff, save your cash... I think that you will get some great deals soon.

Z3speed4me likes this.
  11. Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo Member

I really hope it comes back down how it use to be. Paying $200-$300+ for a one inch sps is crazy (ex;WWC). True, they are very pretty but when I see the price they turn really ugly.. lol.

12. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

That's half the reason almost all of my SPS are from ebay auctions or live sales....

13. nashorn

nashorn Active Member

I'm still collecting the "OG" sps
    Some are hard to fine. Sapphire milli and leng sy cap are two that's just not in the SF area any more.

14. landlubber

landlubber Active Member

I'm curious how many of the respondents in this thread have actually even seen either of these corals in person?
    I was fortunate enough to make the trip from Canada to New Orleans this year for macna and got a chance to meet Jason and see both of these corals without photo augmentation... they are the elite of the acropora. the price is steep but it is the deserving paramount of coral in the hobby.

15. najer

najer Valuable Member

Under what lighting?

16. nashorn

nashorn Active Member

CFM is this weekend so hope JF is bring some of his high end sps.

17. jda

jda Valuable Member

I have a huge colony of Leng Sy that I got from MP in about 2000ish. I have also seen sapphire mille, although I do not have any. Each of these are better than the hot-acro-of-the-day for $500 that only look good after photoshop and under black lights. They are legit corals that need no tricks to be awesome and can look good in any tank.

It is a shame that so few of the old-school folks go online anymore. Although I do not blame them for not wanting to fight with the fanboys with a few boogers on frag plugs, they have some awesome stuff. Mantis Purple Polyp Aculeus and Reefer Madness Rainbow Nasuta are must haves that can whip the azzes of almost any new or trendy frag.

Fox Flame is the only coral in the last few years that might be talked about in a decade as a stable. It needs not tricks to be awesome either. Red Devil Nasuta is another.

JF has a nice blend of new and old stuff. If he brings Paletta Pink Tip, it will glow in his tanks... he does great with that stuff. This is a moderately-hard coral, but a must have acro, IMO.

18. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Well-Known Member

I have to wonder what makes these nubs worth the money. I bought LC's of live rock, fish, and inverts back in the day for what some people pay for a nub. I guess I will be shopping of "brown outs" for my next tank.

I aslo don't get the nano tank with 50 frags in it. Coral should grow into a colony not a collection of nubs. Should we not plan our tanks for a region with species compatability instead of mix and match to see who survives?

Again what do I know about the state of current sales?

Cnidoblast and NY_Caveman like this.
  19. jda

jda Valuable Member

You are talking about collectors and not so much reefers. Some collect to later frag and sell and some like to have a list online of their collection. They don't want to even hear about the stuff when it grows... but they also post a photo of their "colony" that is 1.5 inches long with a few new branches starting.

20. Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd Active Member Partner Member 2018

Each of us started somewhere, and we learn as we go. . I think it's unfair to generalize and assume that someone who has their own money to spend is some kind of showoff because they buy nicer stuff than you are willing to buy for your tank . That's like being mad at the guy who drives a jaguar. Yes it's a car and it gets you from A to B. You may not see the value in it over a Ford fusion but it does not make that person a jerk or irresponsible for owning one.

I have a six month old 32g nano tank with a variety of inexpensive corals and a few that weren't cheap. I don't plan on selling them to make money. I take care of them responsibly, and am committed to keeping them healthy.

Yes they are frags right now, and I'm excited to watch them grow and maybe post a few pictures to share with others in the hobby. Isn't that why you got into it? Isn't that why we're all on this forum? I can't be a "reefer" over night because this is a time tested hobby?

Sounds a bit elitist to exclude anyone from the club who doesn't yet have a 600g tank with colonies the size of basketballs.

Just throwing in my opinion from a not-yet-qualified reefer.

29bonsaireef, najer and Bkatz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted