“High end sps”

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by chopsie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. x2uranium

x2uranium Active Member

I'm in it for the colors... it's only money anyways.

bubbaque and Krzydmnd like this.

2. Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018

Fugazi said it best... "Never mind what's been sellin, it's what you're buyin."

3. chopsie

chopsie Valuable Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor

Just another cheap frag 58975453-CC36-4F1A-9FB9-CC0DA7BA6395.jpeg

4. najer

najer Valuable Member

Mick's green tip knobler? ;)

5. chopsie

Lol
    Don’t be silly it’s a “gonnamakemerich”

Todd Shoemaker, Krzydmnd and najer like this.
  6. najer

najer Valuable Member

Can I get a frag please? ... no wait that would just make you richer! ;)

chopsie likes this.
  7. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

I frequent the RRC store and majority of the acros & other corals are kept under 8x T5's without ReefBrites. Only 1 (one) shallow separate tank has ReefBrites. And another tank under MH.

chopsie likes this.
  8. Squid

Squid Active Member

9. OrlandoReefer

OrlandoReefer Active Member

let's be real for a second every sps that comes in is either wild or maricultured now as a store you are usually only buying mariculture pieces which MAX (meaning an average high end piece)from a wholesaler will cost you 50 bucks, things like home wrecker mariculture pieces (yes the original homewrecker was a mariculture from Indonesia) can cost around 80-100 depending on how healthy it came in but those are super rare and almost never come in. Now once bought from wholesalers they have two options one is to go for the quick flip selling frags for 30-65 depending on frag and if the store has a market for acros,(lots of them don't, in Miami there's a lot of money but a very small market for acros so barely any stores carry them) so on average you get around 5-9 frags from a maricultured piece which can bring in a nice profit if none of the frags die OR you can double the price of the mariculture without cutting it and sell it for a very quick profit which a lot of stores do notice mariculture pieces usually cost 60-100 dollars those prices are just doubled from what they bought it for(store owners gotta eat, and at the end of the day 60 bucks for a coral that flew across the world to be twenty minutes from your house isn't that bad). Now the other option a fish store has is to sit on the acro which is what the high end stores do. To explain this I'll use a timeline so...store buys mariculture that is bleached and stressed from Fiji, indo, or Australia. Shipping takes its toll. Over many years store owners have the ability to recognize which acros will color up selection is made based off that(eye for corals is a neccesity). It's a gamble straight up. When maricultured piece has been picked the usual idea is to frag immediately because 90% of the time maricultures that aren't cut will die I don't know why just my experience(I assume it's lack of nutrients that kills it over time compared to ocean reef water).When cut let's say out of 10 pieces two die(again just an observation from experience) those 8 left over pieces are sat on and colored up, grown, and treated with maximum care. On average it takes about 3-6 months(wild pieces take longer) for a piece to display its true colors and adapt to aquarium life this time span is where your inflated price comes from these high end stores do not buy these corals in pristine condition EVER, they are cared for deeply to give the customer a high end one of a kind piece. Do I support inflated price of course not but nobody said this was a poor mans hobby we are caring for animals that come from literally every corner of the globe in a just a few gallons of water that isn't easy, cheap, or even stable to keep up with. Remember this the next time you see a 100 dollar acro. Now for the sps that are thousands of dollars I'll tell you right now you are being ripped off there is an 500-800% profit margin on those inflated pieces if you want to buy it go ahead but keep in mind that it's either a 1000 dollars cuz that's what the store payed to get it from another store/collector or you are being ripped off. At the end of the day you aren't paying a store to produce a coral you are paying to have that coral shipped across the world to where it takes thirty minutes out of your day to buy something that a few weeks prior was growing in Australia. Can't beat that.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  10. chopsie

Hi buddy
    I agree with you and your summary
    The process is lengthy and cost and profits need to be made.
    Now if I worked in a shop those bits which I believed to be a bit special I would put in my DT to watch them grow, whilst making profit elsewhere, these special pieces would eventually be fragged and sold but at a cost that was respectful of the process, but still would these be $900.00 frags?
    You can’t blame anyone for wanting top dollar for pretty animals but where do you draw the line?
    I suppose it’s drawn at demand and if someone is going to pay a weeks wage for a nub then who’s the fool...
    It certainly wouldn’t be me but that’s just my opinion and as crazy as I think these “rare” prices are I still respect those who want to play the game

najer likes this.
  11. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

To refute my own comments previously to a certain extent... top end will always be top dollar; if you compare coral to any other "animal" out there it's quite similar and to a degree even reasonable. Still doesn't mean I will ever buy a frag for over 100 bucks though that I am not physically staring at in person.

Go look at pure bred dogs with award and show history, horses with genetics from race winners... anyone even see/buy a savannah cat, yea also not cheap. Most of you wouldn't believe what I paid for my high blue green tree python 10+ years ago.

IF you were in the game to buy these high end pieces with the mindset to frag later and turn a profit, buying the so called collector pieces is a bargain in comparison. IF you are doing it because you think they are beautiful and want to have display pieces, then more power to you spending the money if you have it; however it's not helping the economy in this hobby as it just makes these sellers think their insane prices are acceptable, so even the normal and more reasonably priced stuff crawls its way up in cost.

najer, chopsie and Krzydmnd like this.
  12. Krzydmnd

This is my point above. Your weeks wage could be someone's hourly wage. Or their monthly wage. Not fair to get mad at Ppl who have disposable income and effectively create a market for high end 'anything' (coral, cars, TV's, restaurants! Etc...), or get mad at the people that supply them.

There are literally millions of options for us in this market, just as in any other, and no one makes us spend our money. I buy what I can afford. Do I want one of everything from Jason Fox tank? Sure! Can I afford it? No. But that's not his fault.

Norcalreef, najer and Z3speed4me like this.
  13. jairus45

jairus45 Member

Im so upset with myself, went out to buy fish food and came home with a $70pink lemonade. [​IMG]

14. Krzydmnd

I'll give you $300 for it.

15. chopsie

I’m not mad and I’m sorry if I give that impression
    I’d say sad more than mad afterall Mother Nature created these not a man who has a blue led, as I said above just my opinion

najer likes this.
  16. Krzydmnd

Woops! This wasn't directed at you as an insult or anything , I was just using your comment to base my response. All discussion in good fun about a hobby!

chopsie likes this.
  17. jairus45

jairus45 Member

$300 would be daylight robbery lol. A colony like this would normally go for between $50 and $80. Hell my strawberry shortcake colony was only $65[​IMG]

18. FraghouseCorals

FraghouseCorals Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

It’s the hobbyists that drive up prices!!! But Guys, if you think about it the prices have gone DOWN dramatically!!! Now you can get a WD one of the nicest acros in existence for 75 bucks lol the rainbow game has devalued just like Rainbow chalice. It’s all supply and demand. Few years back we didn’t have a bunch of rainbow sticks in every corner store like now. My opinion is the price has gone down. I don’t gouge my customers but I think those vendors that do are on there way out the door. Chop shops don’t help the market or price inflation. The REAL money in Acropora is in AQUACULTURE and soon will be the way of the future. I wouldn’t be surprised if prices go back up waaaay higher in the future as more and more countries cut off collections and more and more chop shops close their doors. This isn’t a CHEAP man’s hobby so if your complaining about prices on the most sought after Corals in the world it may be time to either buy low end or find a different hobby lol

19. FraghouseCorals

FraghouseCorals Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Yep when you buy FRESH Mariculture colonies they are VERY cheap

20. jairus45

jairus45 Member

These are wild colonies

Draft saved Draft deleted